• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeit or Not?

19 posts in this topic

Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood! What you have isn't really a coin, but a token of some sort. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where you would go to research it.

It's rather handsome, but it's not a coin. If you could provide a reverse image and an idea of its size, since it might be as large as a coaster or as small as a cent, that would help quite a bit.

Thanks for the welcome. Although the picture looks huge, the coin is actually the same size as the early silver dollars. I enlarged it so you could see the detail. Attached is the reverse side of the coin. I was going to send it to PCGS to have it evaluated. Based upon the feedback I've gotten, maybe I should just save my money.

1823388-1851SilverDollar-Back.jpg.36ea84f9a8ecab8942d3930b0f926307.jpg

It's a fantasy piece that shows up quite often. The first time I saw them (about 1985) they were actually made of silver and weighed one oz. In short they were a silver round with a fantasy dollar design. Since then they have been picked up by the Chinese counterfeiters and normally they are just base metal fakes now. I think the Chinese think they are counterfeiting a real US dollar coin.