• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My gold sovereign

30 posts in this topic

I have a gold sovereign I bought raw from american gold exchange (www.amergold.com) a year or so ago. I was pretty stupid at one point and scratched it to see 'If it was real". So I sent it to ANACS (This was before they had the blue slabs they have now and when they had net grading) and it was graded Unc Details NET AU 55 Scratched.

So, since ANACS graded it, then no doubt its most likely real, right? I ended up cracking it out of the slab.. Heres some pictures of it I took with a Digital Blue computer microsoft. For some reason, the pictures make the coin look more of a silver color, but the coin has a nice golden color to it.

godsovereig.jpg

godsovereig2.jpg

MyFavSov20Paint2EJPG.jpg

SovereignObverse.jpg

I remember when you scratched the coin, and was fairly shocked you would do so, but the good news is that these typically trade at little over bullion in the low MS grades anyway and this means that you likely lost little from the procedure.

That was one expensive test. tonofbricks.gif

If you think that's bad, I very *lightly* scratched my saint gaudens on the edge of the coin when I cracked it out. I then sent it to NGC. It must've not been that severe because they graded and encapsulated the coin. Still wish I wouldn't have though.

sign-rantpost.gif STOP IT! sign-rantpost.gif

Any coin you buy from a reputable source has a 99.99999999% chance of being 100% genuine. Maybe one coin in a million (and I doubt you own a million coins) could be a fake. STOP MESSING WITH THE COINS! STOP IT!

Leave them as they are! Don't buy raw if you don't know what you're doing. DO NOT SCRATCH ANY MORE COINS! NGC, PCGS, and ANACS are in the business because they are able to tell a fake from a genuine coin. That's step #1 in the process, before they begin the grade evaluation. If you feel the need to test every single gold coin, then only buy modern junk and no more classic coins! DO NOT RUIN THEM! From now on, for the coins' sake, only buy pieces slabbed by NGC or PCGS. Although, you don't seem to trust them either.

You've gotta put your trust in somebody, or give it up altogether. You can't go around and try to build a nice collection when you scratch up all your coins because you're paranoid beyond any rational means!

So, since ANACS graded it, then no doubt its most likely real, right?

Give me a break... ANACS is not NNC or ABCD! They're not some 'send us $10 and we'll slab anything!' grading company. They have morals, and they are good at what they do.

If you think that's bad, I very *lightly* scratched my saint gaudens on the edge of the coin when I cracked it out. I then sent it to NGC. It must've not been that severe because they graded and encapsulated the coin. Still wish I wouldn't have though.

By scratching 'lightly' what did you think you would find? Chocolate? screwy.gif

So, if you only took one thing with you out of this entire post, let it be to LEAVE THE COINS ALONE.

End sign-rantpost.gif

Man, are you paranoid or what? Seems like every other post you have asks "Is this gold coin real?" Honestly, buy a book about conterfeit detection and hang it up already.

Excellent post Chad. Excellent! I cannot imagine scratching a coin on purpose, I scratched a 1859 IHC AU and it was BB'd by NGC. I was devastated at my stupidity and have carried that as an example of how not to handle coins ever since.

Man, are you paranoid or what? Seems like every other post you have asks "Is this gold coin real?" Honestly, buy a book about conterfeit detection and hang it up already.

Physics-fan3.14 , here is what the poster of this thread asked (my emphasis):

I have a gold sovereign I bought raw from american gold exchange (www.amergold.com) a year or so ago. ...

So, since ANACS graded it, then no doubt its most likely real, right? I ended up cracking it out of the slab.,,,

... and that's why I stated "I'd feel pretty comfortable that it is genuine if ANACS holdered it. "

Did I misunderstand the nature of stinkycheese's question 893scratchchin-thumb.gif ?

Everywhere I go people are mad at me. I've tried to make some good threads but people only remember threads like these. I have books on counterfeit gold detection but it's still a very hard thing to do. That's why I only buy certified gold now. I just wanted to ask if american gold exchange was reputable (I Think it is).

Munkeyman I'm sorry I made you mad. I noticed you and conder101 won't answer my PM's anymore. It's probably because I'm such an *spoon* on stuff like this.

But you didn't ask whether American Gold Exchange was a reputable company. You asked if ANACS certified coins were likely genuine, when everyone here has told you repeatedly, with tears in their eyes, that they are. I have no idea about American Gold Exchange, and if anyone did, they wouldn't be inclined to offer that information in this thread because you didn't ask it until now.

Beyond that, you should have known that someone would go ballistic when you start talking about scratching coins as a method of authentication. (Yes, I know you've learned that that was a stupid thing to do, but you don't have to keep reminding us.) I'm frankly surprised that you got any reasonable responses at all. Why, I could hear the sputtering of grouchy dealers and collectors coming through my own computer before I finished reading your post!

Now to the more important thing that doesn't get talked about here very much--

Cracking coins out of slabs is risky--not just because that might be as high as the coin will grade but also because the broken plastic can scratch the coin. You got lucky with one of your crackouts, and we're all pleased with your good fortune. But people here are heartbroken by a staple scratch. How much more likely is damage to occur when you've got broken plastic flying all over the place right next to a raw coin.

I agree with Munky Man. STOP MESSING WITH THE COINS.

I've answered every PM you sent me, with the best knowledge I can. But when you pull stuff like this, it makes me not want to. You're no better than the professional ATer in my mind after this stunt. If you do something like this in the future, keep it in the privacy of your home and don't plaster it here, save yourself and everyone else the trouble.

Well I do have to admit that scratching a coin because you thought it was counterfiet was not the smartest thing to do. If it was my first time buying a coin from a dealer I knew nothing about, I think that I would've passed on buying gold from them. Maybe silver and take the chance but not gold. ANACS is a reputable company and I'm sure that your coin is real. Another thing I am sure about is that you need to quit wasting money on gold that you feel may be counterfeit. Stick to Top TPG slabs as you had mentioned. At least if one one them turns out to be counterfeit, it's guaranteed. No need to scratch.

I've answered every PM you sent me, with the best knowledge I can. But when you pull stuff like this, it makes me not want to. You're no better than the professional ATer in my mind after this stunt. If you do something like this in the future, keep it in the privacy of your home and don't plaster it here, save yourself and everyone else the trouble.

Wow, that really hurts. Chad, I can't believe you'd say something like that. I've learned my lesson along time ago, no need to say I'm equal to an AT, that's just insulting.

I'm really surprised you'd say that, Chad, I thought we were friends.

Wow, that really hurts. Chad, I can't believe you'd say something like that. I've learned my lesson along time ago, no need to say I'm equal to an AT, that's just insulting.

I'm really surprised you'd say that, Chad, I thought we were friends.

I'm sorry, I'm passionate about my gold. When someone jeopardizes the state of the coin for posterity, I get upset.

You should not have scratched either coin.

i think everything is a learning experience and cheese i am glad you are growing and learning thumbsup2.gif

in your numismatic pursuits thumbsup2.gif

good for you and also it builds character to take a little good natured ribbing from some members that try to have your best interests at heart

take all the suggestions and only take all the good parts out of them and you will do fine

yes yes

flowerred.gif

i think everything is a learning experience and cheese i am glad you are growing and learning thumbsup2.gif

in your numismatic pursuits thumbsup2.gif

good for you and also it builds character to take a little good natured ribbing from some members that try to have your best interests at heart

take all the suggestions and only take all the good parts out of them and you will do fine

yes yes

flowerred.gif

Thanks Michael. I can always expect a friendly response from you. I guess I took some peoples comments here out of context, maybe it was just constructive critism.

This thread is simple... Live and learn. As for weather ANACS coins are real. I would put my money on it everytime! No need to get bent out of shape over it. Kevin, we all make mistakes in coins. When I was younger I took braso to alot of my coins. Lucky for me those were not expensive. thumbsup2.gif

This thread is simple... Live and learn. As for weather ANACS coins are real. I would put my money on it everytime! No need to get bent out of shape over it. Kevin, we all make mistakes in coins. When I was younger I took braso to alot of my coins. Lucky for me those were not expensive. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Brucewar!

I don't think anyone asked the question, but it's peaked my curiosity, was it a "scratch 'n' sniff" sovereign? Did the reverse smell like a stable? Just curious...

Hello guy's found this on ebay it is a 1849 $1 LIBERTY HEAD Gold Piece. When I was looking at the reverse photo I noticed what looks like a D mint mark what do you think?

I always try and answer PM's and I have sent you some long and detailed answers to your questions. (I put a lot of thought into my answers, my last answer took almost two hours of thought and consideration in its composition.) But I'm not here every day. I haven't been here for three days now and if you have PM'd me during that time of course I haven't answered. Right now I am reading through the threads on the forum and when I finish that I will check and respond to my PM's. If there is one there from you, you will almost certainly get an answer. I will also check and make sure I haven't missed one.

And one of the reasons we keep remembering your posts about scratching that sovereign is because after two years or more you still keep talking about it, and asking if a coin slabbed by XXXX can be trusted as being real.

I always try and answer PM's and I have sent you some long and detailed answers to your questions. (I put a lot of thought into my answers, my last answer took almost two hours of thought and consideration in its composition.) But I'm not here every day. I haven't been here for three days now and if you have PM'd me during that time of course I haven't answered. Right now I am reading through the threads on the forum and when I finish that I will check and respond to my PM's. If there is one there from you, you will almost certainly get an answer. I will also check and make sure I haven't missed one.

And one of the reasons we keep remembering your posts about scratching that sovereign is because after two years or more you still keep talking about it, and asking if a coin slabbed by XXXX can be trusted as being real.

Thanks condor101, i appreciate it.

condor is one of the good guyds on here

always smart and answers and is a good sport

he will always answer pm

and thanks everyone for being here

i always enjoy the forums and the friendship

thumbsup2.gif

Hello guy's found this on ebay it is a 1849 $1 LIBERTY HEAD Gold Piece. When I was looking at the reverse photo I noticed what looks like a D mint mark what do you think?

Don't know if this got answered but there is D mint of these. I would think fairly rare as to a little over 21,000 minted.

The 49-D gold $1 is the most common gold dollar from the Dahlonega mint, with an estimated 300 extant. That said, it is still considerably more scarce than the Philly issue.