• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think it may be time for a break...

26 posts in this topic

I have been thinking for a little while that I have become far too unfocused as a collector lately. I've been buying virtually nothing for my sets, instead buying currency, darkside, just completely random coins etc. Perhaps it's time for a break, sell off a bunch of nonsense I've bought over the last year and eventually move back to my Saint set.

How do you determine if it's time for a break?

i just this week decided it was my time! i had 13 sets i was working on. well that was just too much! now i have 2 main sets i will be working with till done.

small type cents = finalized

proof ikes= finalized

proof sacs 69s= 1 coin to get

proof sac 70s = 2 coins to get

20th century ms set=in the works

20th century pr set = in the works.

as u can see the main 2 sets for me now will be the 20th type. the others will be eazy enough to find.

also i agree with rrantique if u r "working too hard" on a set and it is more work than fun, its time for a change smile.gif

I don't know that I'm taking "breaks" but I've undergone several major sell-offs and re-organizations to the collection over the past two years... I think I've become a smarter collector because of it..Leo

I really haven’t reached a time when I’ve needed a break. I have had occasions where budget constraints have limited my ability to add to my collection. It’s actually on these occasions, where I am most scrutinizing of coins, that I have made some of my best purchases.

I have been thinking for a little while that I have become far too unfocused as a collector lately. I've been buying virtually nothing for my sets, instead buying currency, darkside, just completely random coins etc.
What about focusing your current currency and darkside interests into sets? The other thing is that you can make thematic sets based on your own interests instead of following what other people think a set is.

It's good to just kick back and watch from time to time.

It gives me more time to enjoy what I have and think about the direction I really wish to go.

I got burnout occasionally and sold off material that did not make sense for me to collect. Now, my buying intensity has slowed and things are more placid.

I have never really taked a step away from numismatics in my year and a half of seriously collecting, but I certainly have had lulls, frequently months at a time, in purchasing new coins. This has not been from lack on interest, but from bugetary constraints. One in particular that stands out is between last November and March, during which time I bought only one coin. I'm not buying anything in the next month, though, cuz Baltimore is on June 29! grin.gif

What I reccomend to you, Jeff, is that if you don't want to give up coin collecting completely for a little while, purge your collection of things that don't belong. I did this a few weeks ago, and in addition to being great for my budget, it taught me a few things about the coin market in general.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide! thumbsup2.gif

Good luck Jeff! Even the best need breaks occasionally. I have seen you put together quite a nice currency collection, even if it does deviate from your Saints. Currency would be a cool 'aside' to your mondo collection. Keep up what you love, people change, ideas change. Are you bored with the Saints? No, but after collecting them for as long as you have been, change is good.

Hey a break is good. I was stuck on my jeffersons for a while, but getting my lincolns have actually gotten me excited again. I still don't Take myself away from other collections I'm working on, but new ones started get me re-excited in another field so to say.

I think this can be a very intense hobby, and I see I'm not alone re: burnout. My guess is that if you can ask the question; 'should I step back', that that's a good thing. Keep asking it and eventually you'll know whether or not that's the thing you need to do.

I've been through a couple of burnouts and sometimes I think I need to take a step back, now. Just haven't figured out if I need to do it or need to just re-adjust my collecting habits.

Might be worth shifting gears to something else entirely. Mark's advice #14 may be useful here:

14) Find time for other activities that don't have anything to do with coin collecting. Don't make coins your whole life - life is too short for that.

Jeff - buy a Corvette and get some hot young blonde to ride around with in it! After a month or so of that, you'll be ready to collect again angel.gif

If you are asking, it's probably time. smile.gif

My interest levels in hobbies waxes and wanes naturally, and it has always been that way for me. I don't give it too much thought, and just try and do something that interests me and I get enjoyment from -- and if that leads me in another direction I don't give it much thought, really. I'm a go-with-the-flow kind of guy that way...Mike

I think Mike hit onto something...my other love is highpower rifle shooting and the season is now in full swing here in Northern AZ. I've been eye-balling a couple of matches here locally as I've not been able to really find coins that really "trip my trigger" so to speak..Leo

Jeff - buy a Corvette and get some hot young blonde to ride around with in it! After a month or so of that, you'll be ready to collect again angel.gif

I have a feeling if I do this, I'll wake up with a hangover and no collection at all!

Very good thoughts all, as for Saints, I am not necessarily bored, but I am to a point where my budget will only allow me to fill a hole once every year or two. So I suppose I just need something to fill the time. It might mean currency, but that is expensive too (and there are way too many directions to go!). I like bust halves, so that might be another way to go too. Same is true with Mexican coinage.

But fundamentally, I think I have coinage ADHD, where I just end up buying stuff for no good reason (or the reason of, "that's cool, I think I need to buy me one of those."). I guess I just need to take a step back, get organized and get some serious buying discipline.

I think I have coinage ADHD, where I just end up buying stuff for no good reason (or the reason of, "that's cool, I think I need to buy me one of those."). I guess I just need to take a step back, get organized and get some serious buying discipline.

Jeff, buying stuff for no good reason is one thing, buying stuff because you think it is cool is another. Realistically, are you still enjoying the coins that you are buying, or are they mainly "giving you a fix", so to speak? If it is the former then I don't personally see the need to stop. If it is the latter, then it is time for a break (except for the once a year Saint that comes up Lord knows when in the given year). One nice thing about coin collecting is you can do it for literally cents. Look at your pocket change more often and put together a partial set FROM CHANGE of one of those series. If you feel the need for a fix along those lines, go to the bank and get a few rolls of that series. The "treasure" hunter in you will appreciate it just as much.

Bottom line, coin collecting is about having fun, and sharing it with other coin junkies.

Two things

First when the prices get so high I can't justify "gulping and paying" any more.

Second, when the Wall Street bozos come in and start throwing money at coins as "investments" you know a correction is in the not too distant future. You know it’s really over when these “investors” crow that they have driven out all of the “stupid collectors” and now have at least a segment of the market to themselves. When that happens the inmates are running the asylum, and a crash is in order.

Jtryka - Being the gracious and considerate guy that I am and despite the burden it would impose on myself, I am willing with much sacrifice to hold your beloved Saint collection while your are traveling through the non-numismatic wilderness (in that Corvette mentioned above, I suggest red with a white convertible top) and keep them safe until you want them back. Less of course any dates that might fit into my open type set slots, but clearly that's a given. Anyway, I am here for you!

Jeff just cruzin.

1825044-36_1_11.gif1825044-12_7_21.gif

1825044-36_1_11.gif.6b51c2195a3d092a670de0d48f26f9dc.gif

Two things

First when the prices get so high I can't justify "gulping and paying" any more.

Second, when the Wall Street bozos come in and start throwing money at coins as "investments" you know a correction is in the not too distant future. You know it’s really over when these “investors” crow that they have driven out all of the “stupid collectors” and now have at least a segment of the market to themselves. When that happens the inmates are running the asylum, and a crash is in order.

Bill... I see this affecting your end of the market [the much higher-end stuff]...Do you think this would trickle down to the more pedestrian coinage that someone like myself collects? I guess what I'm asking is...Do you feel an overall market correction is in the not too distant future?

Leo

I have been thinking for a little while that I have become far too unfocused as a collector lately. I've been buying virtually nothing for my sets, instead buying currency, darkside, just completely random coins etc. Perhaps it's time for a break, sell off a bunch of nonsense I've bought over the last year and eventually move back to my Saint set.

I suspect you're having difficulties locating Saints and are just hungry for some action.

I suspect you're having difficulties locating Saints and are just hungry for some action.

Methinks you are correct, especially since all the empty holes I have left to fill are $5K+ coins, not so easy to find and buy. So I fill the time with $10-$100 purchases totally on impulse. Though there are opportunities, like this Tuesday I will buy a roll of 1986 ASEs at my coin club meeting to fill one of the last two holes in my roll set of those! headbang.gif