• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reasonable Price for Washington Dollar Rolls?

21 posts in this topic

Just curious on what you guys think a reasonable mark-up would/should be on a roll of the Washington dollars (since banks no longer have 'em). My brother forgot about the program and was looking to buy some so was looking on eBay and there's a local guy selling them, so he e-mailed the guy asking if he could just come pick them up so's not to pay shipping.

Obviously face value would be nice, but do you think it's reasonable to pay a "few" bucks more, and if so, how "few?" confused.gif

Thanks.

I think it depends on the dates you are asking about.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess 2007. wink.gif

Um, yeah. That'd be it. Other than perhaps a commemorative, I'm pretty darn sure there hasn't been a Washington dollar made in the US.

These are actually circulating in the Boston Transit system (MBTA). You can only attempt to imagine my excitement when I used a twenty to purchase 5 dollars in train fair and received 15 of these worthless coins in AU condition as change. Made a big lump in my pocket – P.I.T.A

I would only consider buying these for ½ of face value and may still pass at that price

If one was to buy a roll would you rather buy one with the String and Son, inc wrapper or the US mint wrapper?

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm putting a few sets together and am buying the US mint wrapped dollars instead. Am I paying a premium for something I shouldn't be, or will it pay off in the end? Additionally what if they are kept in the mint sealed boxes - does that instill confidence that they haven't been cherry picked through and re-wrapped?

Thanks.

I think it's more like the old saying of buy the coin not the holder. I think it's just buying the wrapper!

when your goal is to resell...the wrapper should be considered as well. Im not saying which wrapper will do better for you, but if you have plans to sell them in the future, consider all aspects of the product, including its packaging.

They still have them at the banks around here.

I just bought a GW roll at my bank the other day. No tax or s&h either. 27_laughing.gif