• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade -- 1921 peace dollar

23 posts in this topic

This coin just arrived at my doorstep as an addition into my Dansco type set, and I have decided to keep the coin. Please guess the grade that NGC assigned to the coin, and any comments -- both good and bad -- are most appreciated:

Seller's images:

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Have fun...Mike

Nice looking peace Mike. Little bit of a weak strike here and there and a couple extra nics on the obv., I'd have to venture to say MS62.

Very nice rev: and no split in the rocks

My gestamate !

obv: MS-62

rev: MS-64

so i will gess at a MS-63 for the coin..

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Am i getting better at this grading lark ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hi.gif

slightly above average strike and the eye appeal for a 1921 peace dollar is in my opinion way above average

as the coin is a roll fresh never dipped original coin

i grade this coin ms62+

I will guess MS-61, due primarily to the abrasions scattered across the cheek, and in the left field. The strike is just about average for the issue, but the luster seems good. There are a couple of minor spots on the reverse which don't affect the grade necessarily.

Attractive looking coin. 893applaud-thumb.gif

You've got feathers on the upper leg of the eagle and a certain amount of detail where the leg hits the body, so that would mean a semi-decent strike to me, which means the hair and the wing show wear, so I would say AU53-5.

My guess would be MS63, and based upon the images (and the fact that 1921's always display some weakness in strike) I don't understand the guesses of less than MS60.

Hi, MikeInFL

I would grade your coin as MS 62, maybe MS 63 if I saw it in hand. The pit hits on the cheek of Liberty and the clatter on the obverse in front of the Liberty is what I would like to view in hand. The reverse looks clearer of hits. A nice 1921 Peace dollar! grin.gif

Thank you for sharing your coin with us! thumbsup2.gif

AAJ

NGC grade the coin AU 58.

My subjective thoughts on the coin, all IMHO:

I agree with the grade of AU 58. This is what I would call a real 58 and a classic "slider". It has all the luster and flash of an MS coin, but with what appears to me to be obvious high-point rub. It doesn't show well in the photos, but it is very evident when rotating the coin under harsh lighting -- most evident on the lower neck and hair on the obverse, and on the high points of the eagle's wing and leg feathers on the reverse. I will also note that this is a coin that I often see in 62 or 63 plastic, so it was rather refreshing to see a properly-graded 58 available for an AU price, rather than paying MS money for an AU coin.

While I am still on the lookout for a higher grade example for my type set, this one will look very pretty in my Dansco 7070 until I find just the right coin (cough, cough).

Thanks for all the guesses and comments, I truly appreciate them.

Have a nice weekend everyone...Mike

MS-63

Does the coin have heavy die polish lines in the fields and on the reverse ?

Michael

Michael F. - is that you? smile.gif You missed the (assigned) grade as badly as I did!