• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starting Silver Eagle Collection...what should i know?

31 posts in this topic

I collect these also. I collect the proofs and the uncir. I just started these a couple years ago so I still have the earlier dates to get. Uncir are fairly easy to get except there is a premium on the 96'. The proofs are a little harder in the 90's. I buy in mint packaging only. I have a couple slabs but for my collection I'm wanting, OMP only. One thing you may want to do is start a subscription with the mint on these then you won't have to search for the future ones.

In addition to the keys you've noticed, I'd also learn about toners and milk spotting.

These coins tone very easily because of the high silver content and some collectors enjoy toning them.

Some of these coins are prone to develop spots. This is very unsightly and has been reported to be more prevalent with certain environments and certain storage options.

The other thing is that they changed the MS finish a while back to a satin finish. Some people prefer the before look and others prefer the after look. Either way, it's useful to know about.

I don't collect these pieces, but they are extremely popular among a broad section of collectors. The two "key" dates have made extraordinary gains and I do not know if that will continue, but the popularity of the series would seem to indicate that there will always be healthy demand. In my opinion, one has a much lower downside risk if these pieces are bought in the original goverment packaging instead of already slabbed by a TPG. However you go about collecting these, please make sure to have fun.

One thing you may want to do is start a subscription with the mint on these then you won't have to search for the future ones.

This is a really good idea if you're thinking about collecting these regularly as they come out over the coming years. I actually got started on them last year when I was flipping through channels on TV and saw HSN's coin show. They were talking about the rev proof 06 coin and how it was a new thing for the mint, etc, etc. Instead of going through them, I went straight to the mint's homepage and picked up one of the 20th anniversary sets. When it got here from the mint I fell in love, and have been picking them up here and there since then.

This post actually was a good reminder, I've been meaning to set up a subscription through the mint, and should do that tonight. One question I have reguarding that to those who have set one up in the past - if I start a subscription tonight or tomorrow, will I get 07's, or will it wait until next year?

One question I have reguarding that to those who have set one up in the past - if I start a subscription tonight or tomorrow, will I get 07's, or will it wait until next year?

Since the 2007 SAE has already been released, the subscription would "kick in" on the release of the 2008 SAE. So, if you haven't already ordered the 2007's, you should go online or call the Mint (800-USA-MINT) to order them. A similar thing happened to me when I decided to start subscriptions for the silver and clad proof sets.

Also, if you haven't already enrolled as a member, you might want to do so. If you're ordering any other products from the Mint, taking advantage of the "Member Checkout" makes it a snap and the transactions can be completed in just seconds. You can also view your order history. I think the Mint keeps the records available for each member for about 6 years or so.

Chris

One question I have reguarding that to those who have set one up in the past - if I start a subscription tonight or tomorrow, will I get 07's, or will it wait until next year?

Since the 2007 SAE has already been released, the subscription would "kick in" on the release of the 2008 SAE. So, if you haven't already ordered the 2007's, you should go online or call the Mint (800-USA-MINT) to order them. A similar thing happened to me when I decided to start subscriptions for the silver and clad proof sets.

Also, if you haven't already enrolled as a member, you might want to do so. If you're ordering any other products from the Mint, taking advantage of the "Member Checkout" makes it a snap and the transactions can be completed in just seconds. You can also view your order history. I think the Mint keeps the records available for each member for about 6 years or so.

Chris

Excellent, just as I was hoping, as I already picked up some 07's. Thank you very much for the information. thumbsup2.gif

yes forget about it and move right to walking liberty halves

start a short set in choice to gem unc. with some color and great eye appeal

Watch out for milk spotting and the 1996 will cost over $100.00 if graded by PCGS or NGC.

what is milk spotting?

Here is a example of milk spots. Milk spots are thought to be caused by improper planchet rinsing at the mint.

milkspots.jpg

Chris

Excellent, just as I was hoping, as I already picked up some 07's. Thank you very much for the information. thumbsup2.gif

When you start your subscription Ted, it will tell you what year it will start with. If the 07' is still available, it may start with it. You can always call and have this year cancelled if so.

yes forget about it and move right to walking liberty halves

start a short set in choice to gem unc. with some color and great eye appeal

The problem, Michael, is that it is cheaper to get a full set of higher grade SAE's than it is to get the same for the Walkers. Perhaps he would be willing to give it a try if someone would give him all of the key dates at face value. cloud9.gifflowerred.gifhi.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Chris

By the way, Navy, here is something you might find interesting................................. 1808617-IMG_1302.JPG1808617-IMG_1301.JPG

1808617-IMG_1301.JPG.b3f51ef20a7ee869fdabc96a922aaf9a.JPG

I agree with all of the previous posts. The 2006W, burnished die, seems to also be getting fairly expensive so you may also want to get some examples of this coin while they are still within easy reach. Just as a comparison, I have seen several complete sets (minus the '06W on ebay for around $650. This would would bring you up to date in one fell swoop. Most of these however, are housed in Danscos so if you want pristine white coins, make sure you get good photos to examine.

I collect them and think they are beautiful coins. I have now started a roll set but that will take some time.

Good luck

Bruce

Blah - why collect 20 ounces of silver bullion where only the dates and mint marks change?

Go for something interesting like the Britannias if you like bullion!

1999 NGC MS-69:

1517088-1999.jpg

2001 NGC MS-69:

1521024-2001.jpg

2004 NGC MS-69:

1517619-2004.jpg

2005 NGC MS-69:

1516795-2005.jpg

Have you looked at the spouse coins? They're only in gold, and bronze [go figure] but at least it's a variety.

Personally I think the Mexican Libertads beat the Brittanias any day...plus you get the excitement of changes to the third side of the coin in that series!

Blah - why collect 20 ounces of silver bullion where only the dates and mint marks change?

Go for something interesting like the Britannias if you like bullion!

1999 NGC MS-69:

1517088-1999.jpg

2001 NGC MS-69:

1521024-2001.jpg

2004 NGC MS-69:

1517619-2004.jpg

2005 NGC MS-69:

1516795-2005.jpg

VERY NICE COINS!!! WISH THEY DO THAT TO THE SILVER EAGLES LIKE THEY DO FOR THE PLAT COIN!!!... guess just me...I love silver coins. yay.gif

short set of walkers......... if you read by response is

1941-1947 pds

no rare or scarce dates at all in any of the short set walkers and less expensive and more value opportunity than a complete silver american silver bullion set

and the walker is the original silver set the silver american eagle set is the wannabe of the walker half dollar real coin set and it also is more estetically pleasing to boot thumbsup2.gif

When you get/but your first silver eagle take to a coin store and se what they will give you for it before buying more.Then start collecting walkers/indian head cents buff nickels ect.

Start with something at least 50yrs old 100yrs would be better

Have you considered a type set which will get you more variety? Say something along the lines of a Dansco 7070?

The 1995-W has got to be the most overpriced coin on earth. With a mintage of 30,125 and a survival rate of virtually 100%, a price of $5K seems totally ridiculous. screwy.gif

Open up the Red Book and look how many 19th century issues have a mintage of 30,000 or less. And most of those mintages have been destroyed.

The coin is beyond maxed out.

There was a thread ATS about what people thought were the most popular series a while back, I think Morgans, Lincolns, SHQs and ASEs came out on top in no particular order. As the key to a very popular series, the 1995-W ASE is easier to understand.

Mintages, survival rate and age of the coin really don't matter much in the face of strong or weak demand. If you are calling coins "overpriced" based on mintage and survivors only, then one can make the case that virtually all US coins are "overpriced" relative to darkside coins, many of which have dramatically lower mintages. It's all about the demand.

It's all about the demand.

I think you're exactly correct here in the value of the SAE. The Rev. Proof may just fall into this same value market in a few years.