• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are these slabs getting a little silly or is a USA thing ?

46 posts in this topic

Hi all just been looking at some 71 slabs for my collection and found this little lot

Is i just me or do they make the coins look Micky mousey/tourist trade !!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1807495-ike2.jpg

1807495-ike2.jpg.1065dbaa406e7c864696422ec2ff7d8e.jpg

That is a picture of his campaign button and his infamous Campaign Slogan. It is kind of hokey but it is part of the excitement that surrounded him and the campaign. I even remember it and even still have some campaign buttons that say that. Mind you I was barely alive then but my folks had them.

Rey

Repeat after me everyone, "I LIKE IKE!"
I LIKE TRIKE

1807518-hondavalkyrierunea.jpg893applaud-thumb.gif

Are those spinner wheels on the back? That would be too awesome if they are wink.gif

I think it's slightly less silly than this which doesn't even let you see the grade on the front of the slab. Is PCGS setting the tone for the industry?

a090_1.JPG

I think it's slightly less silly than this which doesn't even let you see the grade on the front of the slab. Is PCGS setting the tone for the industry?

a090_1.JPG

No i like that much more as its a real tourist trade item and should not have any grade and be a fun/keepsake coin.

I think graded slabs should be clinical with just the relevent information about the coin .... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gif

a090_1.JPG

No i like that much more as its a real tourist trade item and should not have any grade and be a fun/keepsake coin.

I think graded slabs should be clinical with just the relevent information about the coin .... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Actually those are graded, the grade is just on the reverse. So is your complaint about the ANACS insert that the grade should be on the back, not the front?

I actuall kind of like the slabs. It gives them a little character istead of the old boring date, grade, blah blah. I think it would be kind of neat for all slabs to at least have date range of the type coin along with maybe a mintage #. JMHO

a090_1.JPG

thumbsup2.gif

Actually those are graded, the grade is just on the reverse. So is your complaint about the ANACS insert that the grade should be on the back, not the front?

NO my complaint is that they are graded at all thumbsup2.gif

a090_1.JPG

thumbsup2.gif

But it's ok if you can't see the grade like the PCGS graded GW$s? wink.gif

ALL these specialty slabs from all the services look like *spoon*. They're embarrassing and if I had a coin in one of them, I'd crack it out as I'd be ashamed of it.

ALL these specialty slabs from all the services look like *spoon*. They're embarrassing and if I had a coin in one of them, I'd crack it out as I'd be ashamed of it.

thumbsup2.gif

If I liked slabs, I would actually like those. Granted, they look a little cheap as opposed to a more "clinical" slab like the old green PCGS ones, but I like the idea that it has the date and grade at the very top so that if you had these in a box you could easily pull out the one you wanted instead of guessing.

I'll tell you what blows. When we received our share of my father-in-law's rather sizable collection (certainly dwarfed my own in quality if not in age), it included four of the weirdest Ikes you ever saw. They're gold-plated! I am thinking these are junk, bought off a TV shopping channel from some small-screen huckstress. I hate to think what he paid for them, and I'd always thought he had very good numismatic sense...but damn.

I'll tell you what blows. When we received our share of my father-in-law's rather sizable collection (certainly dwarfed my own in quality if not in age), it included four of the weirdest Ikes you ever saw. They're gold-plated! I am thinking these are junk, bought off a TV shopping channel from some small-screen huckstress. I hate to think what he paid for them, and I'd always thought he had very good numismatic sense...but damn.
What if he got them because he liked them, not because he thought they'd appreciate?

a090_1.JPG

thumbsup2.gif

But it's ok if you can't see the grade like the PCGS graded GW$s? wink.gif

I like the look. headbang.gif

a fool and his money are soon parted

remember the pricing services are in it for profit and a private enterprise

they are giving the masses whatTHEY want......cheesy common craploa

this is what keeps them in biz

if collectors/buyers demand quality and eye appeal of true scarce coins then the pricing services will give them this but overall for the masses/majority of collectors THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN

makepoint.gif

What if he got them because he liked them, not because he thought they'd appreciate?

I myself don't buy coins because I think they'll appreciate. But I do make an effort not to buy artificially adulterated *spoon*.

Well, it was his money; his privilege to waste as he chose. He also liked to go to Biloxi and gamble, and that too was his option even though I did (and do) consider it fiscally inexplicable (I stop short of calling it fiscally insane, but that's what I'm thinking). But he never even looked at them, to my knowledge; in fact, I was shocked at the level of conservation of the whole collection. When I dumped out a bag of Washington quarters, thinking I was just going through a slush pile, out rolled a whole bunch of MS stuff (might even be proofs...I don't know for sure) right onto the table. I just sort of blanched. My wife reached for one and I actually grabbed her wrist quickly but as gently as possible, explaining that these needed to be holdered right now, and hope they haven't taken any harm.

So frankly, if he liked them much, I don't think he got much enjoyment out of them. And I think it's sad that someone who was willing to invest as much as he did in coins went out and bought something *spoon* like these plated Ikes off a TV channel.

If I seem a little frustrated, I ask your pardon on the grounds that I'm currently dealing with an aging mother who doesn't have unlimited wealth, and who has now decided that she is an investor, and is parking her money in jewelry she buys off TV channels and the Internet. It's her right, but it always makes me sick to see all waste unfolding. She's too sane for me to legally stop her, but not sane enough to make sensible decisions with her resources, and in these past five years I have watched a lot of wealth simply evapourate, and when I see something like these Ikes, it just brings all that back.

I think I'd better sell these just so I don't have to look at them. That or give them to his grandkids as mementos--at least that way they'd mean something positive to someone.

I'll be honest with you. "Slabs" like that nonsense make me want to throw up.

I suppose it's just a matter of time before NGC gets involved with something dumb like that?

always thought he had very good numismatic sense...but damn.

In a way, I would have taken this as an insult. My step-dad collects coins also, and he also likes to purchase those painted coins with elvis and all. I don't down-grade him for it. To each thier own. It wouldn't surprise me if most of us own at least one coin that really has no numismatic value due to it being decorated or something like that. Not everyone aims thier goal to collecting to making a profit. My collection involves coins that I want. I don't care what anyone else thinks about it. I just really think that when someone else downgrades another person's collection just because it's not something that they are interested in, that it's disrespectful. MHO

Sadly, I’d be hard pressed to argue that this wasn’t an American marketing scheme. I agree with the others that say these slabs are embarrassing.

In a way, I would have taken this as an insult. My step-dad collects coins also, and he also likes to purchase those painted coins with elvis and all. I don't down-grade him for it. To each thier own. It wouldn't surprise me if most of us own at least one coin that really has no numismatic value due to it being decorated or something like that. Not everyone aims thier goal to collecting to making a profit. My collection involves coins that I want. I don't care what anyone else thinks about it. I just really think that when someone else downgrades another person's collection just because it's not something that they are interested in, that it's disrespectful. MHO

He'd probably be offended by it, but he can take his medicine. Much of his collecting focus, remembering our discussions, was on value. So if he got sucked in buying something of low value, probably paid triple what it was worth, I think he would be disappointed himself. I don't apologize to him for being stunned that he did that, any more than he apologized to me any time he told me he thought I was doing something dumb (which he felt at complete liberty to do).

This does bring up a cultural point about coin collecting that I've noticed here, though. I have never been bothered if someone called one of my coins ugly, but I sense that on this forum it's a major faux pas, and that this is representative of the hobby. Is this true? When people post coin pics here, is approval or silence the only socially allowable reaction? I'm not putting that trend down if it's true, just seeking to have a better knowledge of how other collectors feel and realizing they may be very different from me. The only time I said something disapproving of a coin pic (I called an ugly coin ugly, basically), I remember a reaction of shock, so I never did it again. One should respect the conventions where one goes.

This does bring up a cultural point about coin collecting that I've noticed here, though. I have never been bothered if someone called one of my coins ugly, but I sense that on this forum it's a major faux pas, and that this is representative of the hobby. Is this true? When people post coin pics here, is approval or silence the only socially allowable reaction? I'm not putting that trend down if it's true, just seeking to have a better knowledge of how other collectors feel and realizing they may be very different from me. The only time I said something disapproving of a coin pic (I called an ugly coin ugly, basically), I remember a reaction of shock, so I never did it again. One should respect the conventions where one goes.
People are much nicer here than ATS but people will still generally post strong feelings about certain coins. I think people here state their dislike and leave it like that, rather than proactively attacking other people's interests. So I think disapproval does get stated here, it's just not pushed after it's stated.

ATS, a lot of people will say moderns are very ugly, spontaneously, with no urging. While some people say Morgans, Barbers and other coins are ugly when prodded, there is no spontaneous criticism of classics there. ATS, I think the people that dislike moderns have some need to say moderns are ugly, but they do say it, and very vocally.