• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Stories on NCS services and eventual NGC Grading

8 posts in this topic

I am just curious if some of the regulars here have used this service (NCS) with eventual grading by NGC with satisfactory results?

I have posted a picture of my ANACS graded Proof LoC bi-metal and it was graded a PR69Heavy Cameo. Strike and details are flawless so I am assuming that ANACS didn't like a slight haze this coin has in the obverse field of the Platinum ring.

I have talked to Chris on the NCS board and they have seen the Platinum haze and has had 'tremnedous' success in rectifying the problem with eventual grading by NGC.

I have sent it in Today with the Crossover of 69 or better.

Do you guys have any stories about coins you have sent in and were satisfied with there service and eventual grading outcome ??

I am all ears smile.gif

Haze in the pictures are indicative of what is on the obverse of the coin .. The reverse is mostly reflection ...

1765373-loc_proof.jpg

I've used their service on over a dozen coins and I've been very satisfied with it. Sometimes I was disappointed that the grade didn't raise but overall the coin did have a more attractive look.

I have a 27-D Peace dollar that had some hazing and PVC, they eliminated the PVC and sent back a gorgeous brilliant MS-63 back to me. The turnaround was very quick and the fees were very reasonable. But NCS is sort of like knowing a good mechanic, nice to know they are there, but you don't enjoy having occasion to use them!

Interesting question Mike---and will tell my 'only' NCS conservation story.

Years ago, I bought a fairly rare 'early' Walker in upper AU grade. The coin was purchased from a 'MAJOR' dealer as an 'original' coin. The price was 700 bucks---but the coin was nice. And I did believe it to be totally original once the coin was in hand. It's toning--what there was-- seemed OK to me.

A few months went by and it's edges started to tone. I wasn't unhappy---as I like toned coins. More months went by---the toning got worse. And I knew that the toning was happening tooo quickly for it to be NT. Some more time went by and then the lightbulb went on----dip residue.

You know---even when you know why---you want to ignore the truth. Shove it into a corner. Make it GO AWAY. Well, I tried all of that. And it just got worse. Until one day that blackish--brown looking crud was all over the obverse of the coin.

Now, I want to tell everyone how stupid that Bob felt. Here I was a fairly knowledgable Walker collector---who had got burnt. But, for me, I felt MORE SORRY for the coin. I knew that I would have to break a long standing rule of mine---"Never Fool With A Coin"---and have this one treated [conserved].

So, off to NCS it went. Got the coin back in an AUdetails NCS slab. I just looked at it this minute----and after some period of time---the coin is still A OK. I could crack it out and have it graded elsewhere---but I keep the coin. I keep it to remind me of my 'early' days when I was not as educated as I am now. To remind myself of why I made a point to continually get better. To read more. To look at more coins. To be continually vigilant. To make myself the best that I can be. For I didn't want to have to ever use NCS again----if I could help it.

Some may ask----'why not return the coin to the seller?' The coin was out of the original holder---and it had been far too long a period of time. My best bet was to learn and to educate myself. And, believe me, I have put in the time over the years. Have NEVER had to use NCS again. But, just that once I was glad to give them the bucks. I learned an awful lot from that one coin. I do not consider that 700 bucks wasted money. It gave me thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of education. Let the buyer beware. Bob [supertooth]

I have only one experience. I submitted a proof barber half and it came back in a 64 CAM holder with a little sticky note saying NCS conservation services could be used on this coin. So I sent it back and the coin is now in a 65 CAM holder.

I have only had one bad experience with NCS, but it was with a fairly valuable coin. I sent in a 1958 Frankie proof to get rid of some haze. The coin sure as heck should be a ucam. The haze was gotten rid of, but some sort of chemical reaction occured that caused a brown streak to APPEAR on the head. Here's the coin (image courtesy of Bruce Lee):

sh1958fh2.jpg

Even thought the mirrors and the frost are very nice the streak has kept the coin out of Ucam status.

On the other hand, I've sent in another half dozen or so Frankie proofs, and generally had very good results from NCS.

I don't know if it went thru NCS but I sent a PF69 jefferson in to NGC to remove a fingerprint that was on the coin. Came back still a 69 but no fingerprint. thumbsup2.gif Was in thier holder to start.

The only time I've used NCS was for a Mint State 1925-D quarter eagle I once owned. The coin had a big copper spot on the indented part of the Indian's neck that made the coin impossible to sell for anything beyond the AU price. I sent it to NCS, and they got rid of the spot. The coin then made its way into a NGC MS-64 holder.

Generally I don’t like dipped gold because it is “too white.” I only made the exception in this case, because I could not get a fair price for what was a very decent coin.