• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Results - 1938 D Buffalo and 1909 VDB

8 posts in this topic

This 1938 D has been up here before and it was the concensus including myself that the carbon spot in front of the nose would most likely limit this coin, well it came back MS 66 which I am happy with.

On the other hand, my 1909 VDB Lincoln came back as Artificially Colored. Please take a look and see if you agree or can provide any insight as to why this was so. I didn't even expect that.

Thanks,

Rey

IMG_0333-1.jpg

IMG_0332-1.jpg

1909VDBObv.jpg

1909VDBRev.jpg

Congrats on the Buffalo grade REy. Maybe the 09 was an original brown by looking at some of the darker areas and it had been dipped and retoned??? confused-smiley-013.gif

Nice looking Buffalo Rey, the 09 looks golden in the photo with some hints of copper, i guess that is reason for the BB. confused-smiley-013.gif

nice photos BTW thumbsup2.gif

Color of the 1909-VDB looks off. I think that someone dipped it. It should be more copper red.

I don't think you can dip copper and maintain the original RD color. Someone with more knowledge please correct me if I'm wrong. I think the color may be ok, just not often seen. I think it's more of an alloy mix concern than anything else. Here is a 1920 I recently purchased that has the same yellow hues to it:

DSCN3024A.jpg

I think it's a nice example worth a resubmit.

Congrats on the '38 D Buff. You could send the VDB to NCS to see if they could restore original coloring, but I think it would be cost prohibitive. You are looking at a $30-$50 coin IF it grades MS64-65 anyway. Still, in my eyes, it's a very nice coin. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for all of the opinions and advice. The VDB was the nicest I had and I was only having it graded just to see what it was. I may resubmit at a later date, but in the meantime, it is a nice one to look at.

Thanks again all,

Rey