• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How I sent my latest coin to NGC

31 posts in this topic

I sent my ANACS MS63 Saint in for crossover, didn't crack it out, sent it as-is. I mailed it this afternoon, and this is how:

First, the packaging.

I placed the slab inside a bubble mailer, and filled the mailer with bubble wrap. I stapled that mailer shut, and put it inside a Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope. I taped it shut, and stapled it as well.

Then I sent it Priority Insured with Delivery Confirmation and an electronic return recipt. Did I overdo it? The coin was fully insured at $800 and mailed. How do you do yours?

I'm a little paranoid, I guess. I'll be content once the coin arrives. So far (even though it was only mailed 1 hour ago) it's not showing up in the USPS database. Am I crazy?

I sent my ANACS MS63 Saint in for crossover, didn't crack it out, sent it as-is. I mailed it this afternoon, and this is how:

I placed the slab inside a bubble mailer, and filled the mailer with bubble wrap. I stapled that mailer shut, and put it inside a Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope. I taped it shut, and stapled it as well.

Then I sent it Priority Insured with Delivery Confirmation and an electronic return recipt. Did I overdo it? The coin was fully insured at $800 and mailed.

I'm a little paranoid, I guess. I'll be content once the coin arrives. So far (even though it was only mailed 1 hour ago) it's not showing up in the USPS database. Am I crazy?

insane.gif893whatthe.gifshy.gifgossip.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Oh My God you didnt register the package too confused-smiley-013.gif

Chad---- You are not crazy---just careful. However, they prefer that you send your coins by Registered Mail. Also, they may charge you an extra buck for taking your package apart---as the staples are a no no.

But, in my opinion, I would rather wrap too much than too little. And good luck with the crossover. Bob [supertooth]

I usually just send my stuff registered too. As for packaging, with my last PMG submission I just sent it back in the packaging the prior shipment was sent in to me. Notes I find are a little trickier than coins!

Given that from what I've seen most coin collectors have OCD it doesn't seem over the top to me.

Yep, you overdid it. A regular bubble mailer with insurance would have been fine.

I use a mixture of First Class / Express / Registered.

For me (being on the opposite coast from NGC), Registered Mail takes a full week. I've found that my modern proof coins frequently haze during this slow trip. Therefore, I rarely ship modern proofs this way. Only very expensive packages go Registered.

I do a lot by Express Mail. It's nice to get the coins there in one day and the Post Office just DRAMATICALLY reduced the cost of insurance on Express Mail making it very affordable to submit shipments of $5,000 in value for under $30 in a Flat-Rate mailer.

And if the package isn't much in value, I'll just do regular First Class with Delivery Confirmation.

The woudln't let me send it Registered! *spoon* at the PO said that the package had to be in brown paper, wrapped up in a box... Blah blah blah. I've sent Priority Registered before, maybe they were just too lazy to say "Okay?" So I send it fully insured instead.

Just sent in 5 coins today. Lincolns 12-s and 13-s, hope they come back 64-RB.

Also 3 Morgans, a beautifully toned 80, an 80-S, and an 82-CC, Vam5. Hoping for some 65's. Sent them in plastic flips in order of their listing, with a rubber band to secure them, surrounded by bubble wrap. Registered mail. Cost...about $14. Now the waiting....and anticipating! Good luck with your submissions.

Current Earlybird turnaround is only 12 working days, so the coin shouldn't be at NGC too long. Today's the 19th... Should be here in about 20 days or so. Yay!

The woudln't let me send it Registered! *spoon* at the PO said that the package had to be in brown paper, wrapped up in a box... Blah blah blah. I've sent Priority Registered before, maybe they were just too lazy to say "Okay?" So I send it fully insured instead.

Yep. All Registered packages need to have all their openings taped in brown paper tape.

Technically you cannot use Registered mail on a bubble mailer. It is against Postal rules from a long time ago when the mailers were made differently, but this is all but ignored now as they know better.

Last week I had a clerk tell me I couldn't send the box Registered since it was going by Priority Mail. 27_laughing.gif Some of them are really clueless.

Yeah, the rules on registered are always a crapshoot. No bubble mailers or padded mailers. It used to be you couldn't have any labels on them either, so you had to handwrite everything, address, return address etc. Seems like every clerk has their own interpretation of the rules though too, which doesn't help.

I had a weird experience with registered mail a couple weeks ago. I was shipping some coins, packed in a box maybe half the size of a shoe box, and the clerk got rather agitated and and was babbling to herself about how I couldn't send it registered with parcel post, but maybe I could with 3rd class, but then it turned out I couldn't (I never said anything about parcel post or third class, by the way). She really seemed rather upset over the whole situation (though I'm not quite sure what the situation really even was), pacing back and forth and huffing and puffing. Anyway, I was just kind of terrified that my order wasn't going to be properly done, but at this point I was a little too nervous to say "give me back my package, you freaking kook" and take it somewhere else. It all worked out in the end crazy.gif

Registered/Priority Mail, new rate is $9.50. Two to three day delivery anywhere in USA.

Priority is meaningless with Registered. Registered travels differently than regular mail. It may sit at your local Post Office for several days before moving until they have enough to ship.

This year alone I've had 3 Registered packages take over a week and they were traveling about 40 miles.

I got a Registered package from California (I'm in NC) and he sent it Priority, Registered. Took 13 days. I wish it would have taken 2-3 days. I would send everything Registered from now on if it went in Priority speed.

Has anyone ever sent packages with UPS or Fedex ( ground, overnight). I know that UPS is suppose to get signature for business deliveries and you can get them insured also.

The question is that register mail takes so long and is a real pain in the tail at the PO. The last clerk had to read up on the rules. It took my last 2 register packages over 2 weeks to FL from NY. Talk about slow boat service.

No one knows what I'm sending from here in NY but when a package gets down to Sarasota, i bet that everyone at that post office and delivery person (ups) knows whats in package or has a good idea. Has anyone ever had a problem with any other service?? confused-smiley-013.gif Jeff

I always send submissions to : N. G. Company or N. G. Corp

Never had any problems with USPS , priority (or for paper taped wrapped boxes- registered).

Sent one sub via UPS next day...went ok , but unless you have a need to speed things up , not worth the extra expense for personnal or regular submissions.

Had to go to a supply warehouse to find the fiberglass strand embedded wet-n-stick brown paper tape , though , that stuff is expensive by the roll ....but a roll will last you a long time .

I think people are also getting wise to packaging to NGC too - I send to NG Corporation kinda makes you think of LG corp ... any little bit helps thrwart the thieving types.

2c more

By what I have been told and experienced Registered is the safest and most secure way to send items such as coins throught the USPS. I have gotten to know the clerks at the local Post Office well as well as our postal carrier, Wayne. Each time the package is transferred from one point/person to another a signature is maintained. I have been told by the clerks that if a registered package is not under lock and key at their station immediately after finishing with the sender for instance and a supervisor was to walk by, they would suffer extreme repercussions. My carrier, Wayne turned around one day and came back to my house because he had overlooked a registered package to me. He indicated that if he had returned to the post office that evening without either proof of delivery or leaving a notice of attempt he would have probably lost his job. They take these packages very serious by what I can see. I was very nervous at first but have complete trust now.

Rey

I use registered with anything over about $600.

I like the security it offers. What's crazy is that you never know how long it will take to get there. It may take 3 days or 10. It's always different.

Greg brought up a good point. Modern proofs sometimes have problems with long trips. They really need a fast trip. I guess it's the temperature changes.

At one time PCGS and maybe NGC ask that you put the coin in a poly bag and put that in a flip. This caused problems with proof coins. At some point they started saying don't use the poly bags. Seems like there is always something new to learn about keeping your coins safe. smile.gif

Coin arrived at NGC today, but I have no idea in what condition it arrived. Hopefully everything was satisfactory. Hopefully they'll call if something went wrong.

Coin arrived at NGC today, but I have no idea in what condition it arrived. Hopefully everything was satisfactory. Hopefully they'll call if something went wrong.

Please allow an extra week to unpack!

Chris hi.gif

I always send submissions to : N. G. Company or N. G. Corp

Never had any problems with USPS , priority (or for paper taped wrapped boxes- registered).

Sent one sub via UPS next day...went ok , but unless you have a need to speed things up , not worth the extra expense for personnal or regular submissions.

Had to go to a supply warehouse to find the fiberglass strand embedded wet-n-stick brown paper tape , though , that stuff is expensive by the roll ....but a roll will last you a long time .

i'm curious about using ups or fed ex instead of the usps and hope someone will share their experience with us.

steve

popcorn.gif