• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New half cent

8 posts in this topic

So I found this one on the bay sellers pics looked ok so I decided to take a risk and see it in hand, What do you all think; good, bad, recolored, like it, dislike it. The frst set of pics are from the auction and the second set are the ones I took tonight.

1834hc1obv.jpg1834hc1rev.jpg

1834hcobv.jpg1834hcrev.jpg

I think it's nice, but what is that mark in the obverse field?

Looks like a planchet flaw to me....and while i'm on the subject, how does a planchet flaw affect the grade?

Or does it?

Ray

Its a strike through or a planchet flaw not really sure which

Looks like a planchet flaw to me....and while i'm on the subject, how does a planchet flaw affect the grade?

Or does it?

Ray

A planchet flaw or strike through can effect the grade but it really depends upon how much impact it has on the eyeappeal. In the case of this coin its no real impact as the coin has most likely been dipped/cleaned and recolored. I bought it for my 7070 album so the flaw and the clashes add some character.

In the case of this coin its no real impact as the coin has most likely been dipped/cleaned and recolored. I bought it for my 7070 album so the flaw and the clashes add some character.

Hey coinbuf that’s about what I thought looking at your coin. thumbsup2.gif I used to have a couple of half cents that looked like yours in tone, both got bagged.

If you don’t want plastic around your coins this is a nice coin to own, well struck with good details on the stars and a really sweet looking reverse. Personally I like a strike through on an old coin, adds interest. cloud9.gif