• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can't Identify this Coin

23 posts in this topic

Courtesy of Fleur de Coin:

Greek 10 drachma coins

KM# 119

Diameter (mm): 26

Thickness (mm): 1.95

Weight (g): 7.5

Shape: Round

Colour: Grey

Issue date: 1976, 1978, 1978 (Proof), 1980

Composition: Copper 75%, Nickel 25%

Edge: Smooth

Engraver: Th. Papagiannis, L. Orfanos

Description: Democritus also wrote on ethics, proposing happiness, or 'cheerfulness', as the highest good —a condition to be achieved through moderation, tranquillity, and freedom from fear. In later histories, Democritus was known as the Laughing Philosopher, in contrast to the more sombre and pessimistic Heraclitus, the Weeping Philosopher. His atomic theory anticipated the modern principles of the conservation of energy and the irreducibility of matter.

Obverse: Symbol of the Atom, denomination (10 drachmai) and the words "Hellenic Republic"

Reverse: Bust and the words "Democritus"

Date Mintage

1976 25,247,000

1978 14,637,000

1978 20,000 [proof]

1980 28,733,000

no problem rey it a Greek 10 Drachmai the Obv is depicting the atom and the rev is the bust democritus hop this is of some use to you

all the best dooly thumbsup2.gif

Courtesy of Fleur de Coin:
Greek 10 drachma coins

KM# 119

Diameter (mm): 26

Thickness (mm): 1.95

Weight (g): 7.5

Shape: Round

Colour: Grey

Issue date: 1976, 1978, 1978 (Proof), 1980

Composition: Copper 75%, Nickel 25%

Edge: Smooth

Engraver: Th. Papagiannis, L. Orfanos

Description: Democritus also wrote on ethics, proposing happiness, or 'cheerfulness', as the highest good —a condition to be achieved through moderation, tranquillity, and freedom from fear. In later histories, Democritus was known as the Laughing Philosopher, in contrast to the more sombre and pessimistic Heraclitus, the Weeping Philosopher. His atomic theory anticipated the modern principles of the conservation of energy and the irreducibility of matter.

Obverse: Symbol of the Atom, denomination (10 drachmai) and the words "Hellenic Republic"

Reverse: Bust and the words "Democritus"

Date Mintage

1976 25,247,000

1978 14,637,000

1978 20,000 [proof]

1980 28,733,000

blush.gifYou beat me this time zoins 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hey guys, here is another one I have come across. It is a 1912 but I am unable to pin down the country.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rey

unknown3.jpg

unknown4.jpg

Here is a commemorative medal/token from Australia that I am trying to identify to determine number issued, value etc. It has the number 162 stamped on the edge. I am sure that it is not a valuable piece but curious just the same. It is not gold just some metal with gold coloring. It is about 3 inches in diameter and is commemorating the discovery of the world's largest gold nugget.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Rey

LargestNuggetObv.jpg

GoldNuggetRev.jpg

If you run out of online resources and help, you might try the old fashioned approach here. One thing about a lot of private medals is that information on mintages, designers, engravers, mint facilities, etc. are often lost. From the description below, they are still around and celebrated the gold discovery sesquicentennial last year so they might know something about this medal as well.

Goldfields History & Arts Society Inc

Information: The Society (founded in 1960) aims to promote the history of Dunolly and district.

Publications: 'Tailings' is published monthly. Editor - Ron Carless.

Events: 150th anniversary of gold discovery to be held July-October 2006.

President Phone: 0428 178 669

Address:

Box 50

Dunolly VIC 3472

Here's another page with office hours:

Goldfields History & Arts Society Inc.

Phone: 5468 1516

Goldfields Museum Broadway Dunolly

Open Sat & Sun 1.30pm-4.30pm or by appt

Museum holds an extensive collection of artifacts and memorabilia

Records held include: Dunolly & Bet Bet Express

Dunolly & Bet Bet Shire rates

Cemetery Index

Dunolly Hospital Index

Church Records

Local References & Maps

Dunolly Cemetery contact ph(03)5468 1212

Here are three coins that I am unable to determine the country of origin as well as anything else about them. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I believe the first coin shows the country of it's origin on the Reverse. The third coin, I am not even certain it is an actual coin or perhaps a token/medal of some sort.

Thanks,

Rey

Unk2Obv.jpgunk2Rev.jpg

unk3obv.jpgunk3rev.jpg

unk4obv.jpgunk4rev.jpg

Here are three coins that I am unable to determine the country of origin as well as anything else about them. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I believe the first coin shows the country of it's origin on the Reverse. The third coin, I am not even certain it is an actual coin or perhaps a token/medal of some sort.

Thanks,

Rey

Unk2Obv.jpgunk2Rev.jpg

unk3obv.jpgunk3rev.jpg

unk4obv.jpgunk4rev.jpg

1st one Taiwan y533 1 Chiao (1955)

grin.gif

The next one is a Japanese 1 Yen year 32 (1957) and the last one is an Aladdin's Castle arcade token.

Thank you Irvin and Spiny,

The token makes me laugh now, how on earth did it get in there. But again thank you on the other two.

Rey

That is about as far as I got myself. confused-smiley-013.gif

I really think that it is not an authentic piece but truly have no earthly idea.

Been searching the internet for pics but to no avail.

Rey