• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting GW Dollar Error

8 posts in this topic

I was poking around Ebay looking at the errors and found this. The poster calls it either a die adjustment error or a strike through error.I was curious as to what youse guys think.

Scott hi.gif

I think that guy has had too much Kool-Aid and his Caps Lock key is stuck in the ON position... smile.gif

The pictures are lame, ironically the best one is of the Reverse -- and that's not where the "error" is! -- Major Red Flag.

Might be a grease fill error as well as the ones he mentioned, I'm not 100% up on die adjustment errors, but I'd think that it would be weak across the entire area, not on two sides of the "President" motto.

As far as "One of a Kind" -- I seriously doubt it, in fact, he admits to having sent in 2 others that were less severe "for grading" that came back as mint errors, but he's selling this one raw? Another Red Flag.

He claims to have looked at 50,000 out of what, 300,000,000 of them? (and I'm betting he only looked at the edge of about 99% of those...) so his declaration is a bit wild and overhyped.

Is it worth $300? Heck if I know... probably to an error collector.

Will he get bids? I'm sure he will... some eBay bidders love that all-caps and multi-colored font thing, triggers some kind of endorphin in the brain that makes them click on the buttons.

His photos aren't good enough to be conclusive. Would I part with $300? Probably not -- I'd be more likely to get rolls at the bank and take my chances...

It's a grease filled die error. A weak strike or die adjustment piece would not have those full rims and the reverse would also show the same type weakness/missing design. As a filled die error, I'd say it is worth maybe $5. I've seen several of these with grease strike through in that area.