• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 1911 Matte Proof Lincoln for your enjoyment (not for sale)

17 posts in this topic

Nice coin, I'm wondering if those surfaces are original though. The toning pattern looks a little strange to me.

JJ

This coin, along with some 100 others, was stored in a Capital Plastics type holder since approximately 1965. All the coins were stored together in a typical large cardboard box in a basement that I've been told did leak on occasion. Two of the other proof Lincolns (unfortunately, from the 1930s) are irretrievably corroded, but otherwise, it appears as if all coins escaped environmental damage. Indeed, most of the Lincolns remained fairly bright red. However, also in the collection is a notebook with one page of silver coins and rounds in PVC holders. They are severely corroded, and I'll be doing a post on them in the very near future.

I feel pretty sure about it (sure enough to get it certified). The image doesn't do it justice, but the rims are no-question knife-sharp at the edges, and the detail and pebbly texture are all there.

If I'm wrong, oh well, just another learning experience confused-smiley-013.gif.

Please understand that I am not stating that it is not a matte proof, but the totality of the image simply suggested to me that it might be a very well struck business strike. Of course, I only have this single set of images to work with and you have seen the coin in-hand. Therefore, you are more than likely correct in your analysis of the coin.

It's a terrible looking cent and should be taken off the market. I'd agree with TomB in his wicked obstinance that the coin is not a proof; therefore, I'll give James $200 for it and do the poor fellow a favor.

Hoot