• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever passed on a coin because you don't like the dealer?

22 posts in this topic

What got me thinking about this question was a conversation with another member, who basically had the same thought as myself. I thought I was just being overly anal, at least I am not the only one. wink.gif I find nothing offensive about an online dealer being blunt or contorversial, it's the nitpicking and talking down to me that aggravates me to no end.

My last two expensive purchases were from online dealers, who have contributed to the forums on both sides. This wasn't the deciding factor for me in both cases to purchase the coins, however one I purchased was because the dealer in my opinion was unfairly attacked even though he provides good service and quality coins. The other purhase was a result in part of feeling comfortable with dealer through interaction on the boards, plus it was a coin I really wanted.

I recently passed on a offer for a very expensive coin that I really wanted, but could not bring myself to make an offer, because it seems like the dealer is way too self-serving.

Just curious if anyone else has passed on a coin because of this or is a coin "just" a coin regardless of the dealer's attitude?

There is a dealer out here in the Northwest who was very rude to me once, even though I was interested in a fairly pricey coin he had in his case at a show. After that treatment, I looked at the coin, didn't even ask a price and said thanks and walked away. Since that time, I've spent a lot a local shows, and whenever I seem him, I don't even look at what he has for sale, because in my mind it's not worth it. If he's selling it, I am not interested.

I have passed on coins because I don't like the dealer, but I've also bought a coin from the same dealer, because I ripped it. I'd still buy from him if I felt it were a rip, because, at some level, I feel I'm getting him back. Childish, maybe, but it's my thought process.

The coin was on consignment, so I doubt that a low ball offer would have been acceptable. In fact I told myself I wouldn't even try to rip it. Hopefully the coin will come up for auction some day.

On the flip side I have paid a little too much perhaps to other members of the forum for a coin that I wanted and have sold coins less than I could have made elsewhere to forum members.

Yeah, whenever I run into a dealer that only buys/sells PCGS/NGC exclusively. Had one offer me a really nice gold toned buff in PCGS 66. Told him I'd buy it if he crossed it into an ACG slab first. Only need it to finish my FT (Full Tail) designated set laugh.gif

Sure I'll pass on a coin if I don't like the dealer. There are enough dealers out there that finding ones you like is an easy enough thing to do.

Maybe 8 months ago Joel Rettew had a coin I was interested in listed on eBay. It was a fair enough price and I would have considered buying it had it been a dealer I liked. I passed without much thought when I saw who the seller was. I don't want to support his and his lack of ethics.

Years ago someone at Wilshire coin was rude to me when I was in their shop. Never done business with them sice. I think they've changed hands since then, but I still remember being treated badly.

Superior was extremely rude and arrogant to me years ago. They lost a customer for life. They've been bought and sold since then and are now owned by the Kings of Rude: TAGZ.

I have and will pass on nasty dealers no matter what they sell.The coins I collect are'nt all that rare so I know another coin that I like will pop up again somewhere else eventually.

Not because I didn't like him. It was, he was at a show trying to do 100 things at once and did want to take the time to show me any coins and he was very rude. so when it came time to spend some $$$ I didn't even look at his table.

Interesting topic, Mike.

As a dealer, I will buy coins from other dealers I don't like. I owe that to my employers, though, if I were self-employed, I might do things differently.

Ideally, I don't let my personal feelings get in the way of doing business. Realistically, however, I'm sure that I'm somewhat affected by how I view others. And, I believe that most, if not all people, are the same in that regard, though, to varying degrees and, whether they know it or not.

While I do buy coins from dealers I don't like, I certainly don't go out of my way to do so. Conversely, I will make an extra effort to do business with those whom I do like AND, whom are fair, honest, etc. I also think, that I am more likely to stretch in price, if the other dealer is one I like and is easy to do business with, etc.

Coincidentally or otherwise (probably otherwise 893frustrated.gif), many of those I do not like, seem to be the ones I feel don't offer material at fair/realistic prices, anyway. So, I don't bother trying to "rip" coins from them, fun though that might be. cool.gif

Terrific topic, IrishMike. smile.gif

Having just read through the responses, I am surprised to see so many people thinking like me on this issue. It seems odd to pass on a coin, especially a tough coin, simply because of the personal element with the dealer. However, it is something that I adhere to strongly.

I don't feel so much like I am on an island on this one. wink.gif

Yes, there are only maybe a couple of dealers I really don't care for, but if one of them had a coin I really liked, I still wouldn't buy it from them no matter what. I would just hope that coin would be offered by someone else sometime down the road.

dragon

Yeah, Pinnacle had this superb MS69 trade dollar, but because of that Mark Feld guy having a link to his website in his sig line, I just passed.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!1

Yep, that link is awful. However, I have to admit that it is his constant posting of coins for sale in the registry set forum that turns me off. 893whatthe.gif

yes most definately i would pass on a coin i really liked because i do not like the dealer

unless............. and there would be maybe some circumstances where i would go ahead with the deal

I would like to say that if I don't like the dealer, no way am I going to buy a coin from them. However, ask me that when they have something superb and it's just what I'm looking for and the price is right...I might say otherwise.

But admitting to the reality of the possibility of my changing my tune doesn't weaken my fervor when it comes down to the nitty gritty. If I don't like the dealer, likely I will not buy from them. There will always be something to buy.

I was dealing with a dealer and ended up assigned to some kid who had no manners and behaved like a teenager while I was literally spending thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars, until I realized whoa...wait a minute. Just because I'm not dropping 20 K a coin doesn't mean I'm not entitled to the kind of attention that I myself would give to people who came to me for help . I'm not dealing with that dealer any longer. In fact, it's changed my whole orientation to what kinds of coins I would like to buy. Gosh, I could go on and on and rant, but bottom line is you are entrusting these people with a tremendous amount of hard earned money and should be respected for it, whether its $20.00, $200.00, $2,000.00, $20,000.00 or more.

I guess I just went on and on...didn't I...

yes most definately i would pass on a coin i really liked because i do not like the dealer

unless............. and there would be maybe some circumstances where i would go ahead with the deal

Michael, don't tease us like that. Please tell us what those "circumstances" might be? gossip.gif

PS - I see that some posters here have visited the "Set Registry" forum lately. insane.gifsmile.gif

There are a couple of local dealers that I won't even give them the satisfaction of a look into their cases. Not that I'm anything special walking around the floor, but they aren't going to get my buck directly.

Another guy has quite a bit of nicer type material that would be up my alley, but he just rubs me the wrong way, and to be honest, I don't think he cares for me either. We politely say hello at the shows, and I'll take a quick glance in his case, but I don't ask him to pull coins out any longer. He doesn't ask to look at the stuff I'm walking the floor with either.

On the flip side, there are a couple of dealers that I really like, but don't purchase many coins from. I try like heck, but we just can't seem to get any good deals done. Good conversation, but poor coin sales together.

re: Maybe 8 months ago Joel Rettew had a coin I was interested in listed on eBay. It was a fair enough price and I would have considered buying it had it been a dealer I liked.

I've never personally spoken with Rettew but I bought some circulated Mercs from him before. What crapola! They were all overgraded and half were harshly cleaned.

I won't conduct business with a rude individual or a crook.

not only are there dealers from whom i will not buy but there are many i refuse to sell to, also.

as an aside, anothere dealer i know attended a show of about 50 tables. looking around the room on dealer day he realized there were only about 3 or 4 dealers that he was willing to do business. he packed up and left. first time he says he's done that in 30 years.

I guess that I have been around too long. If someone is initially impolite to me, I will usually just keep going. Sometimes I will go back around later to test the waters again with that dealer (knowing everybody has bad days). However, if a dealer is rude to me, I keep on going.

Also, any dealer that has ripped me or tried to rip me ceases to exist in my universe. They become some noxious semi-apparent form of talking vapor. Just can't quite see them (especially their coins) or hear them clearly. Funny thing!

I normally do not ask to examine a lot of coins at a show. Only those that I really have some interest in purchasing. I mostly browse alot, moving along slowly.