• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you spend $20.00 on this coin??

26 posts in this topic

I bought this as UNC..Seriously would a print like this stop you from laying $20.00 on the counter.,., I think she is a beauty ...

1889.png

1889Rev.png

Seriously would a print like this stop you from laying $20.00 on the counter

To me, one of the biggest turnoffs a coin can have is a fingerprint. I just hate them. So the answer is yes, it would keep me from buying that coin. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

Let's see, melt is about $11, it may not be unc, but certainly AU, it's pre-1900, so what should you have paid? $15? $18? $25? Seems to me $20 is not bad for this coin, even with the print.

I like the toning enough. I would pay $20.00, The fingerprint is a distraction, but would it not be something to find out whos fingerprint that was?

Are there any forensic guys/gals out there?

Of course you've heard and seen by now but yes a very distracting fingerprint. A few rim nics, but I like the toning on this and she don't look real bad. I'd drop a 20 on it!

I probably wouldn't, but part of that is I wouldn't grade it MS. Looks like high AU wear on the very high points. The tone I don't have a headache with for AU, but to me the fingerprint does detract. That's not to say you didn't get a good value, with the melt what it is.

I might, depending on what mood I was in. I think a fingerprint on a coin with toning is not as bad as a fingerprint on a white coin. I can't stand those. Here it adds a little character.

To me, one of the biggest turnoffs a coin can have is a fingerprint. I just hate them. So the answer is yes, it would keep me from buying that coin. confused-smiley-013.gif

To me the print doesn't bother me. In fact, in most cases it doesn't. It often tells me the coin is, at least somewhat, original.

What I do not like about the coin (based on the photo) is the lack of luster and I usually (not always) don't like a coin that is totally toned.

I would not buy this coin for any price actually...probably more due to the fact I'm not at all interested in Morgan Dollars...at least until I can find the time to buy ONE nicely bag toned common date.

jom

To me the print doesn't bother me. In fact, in most cases it doesn't. It often tells me the coin is, at least somewhat, original.

Jom,

My dear, dear friend, if you have resorted to buying coins with fingerprints because you feel that they are at least somewhat original, I fear it may be time for an intervention. yeahok.gif

John

My dear, dear friend, if you have resorted to buying coins with fingerprints because you feel that they are at least somewhat original, I fear it may be time for an intervention.

Probably already been implemented.

I guess it is just ONE part of originality that this might show. I see, for example, tons of Roosevelt dimes with these kinds of prints. I guess it just depends.

But, no, I don't buy coins if they have fingerprints just because they might be original. Geez.... foreheadslap.gif

jom

Probably depending on how uncommon/scarce/rare it is. If it's something that would break the bank without the print, then maybe I'd go after it. But if it's common enough, probably not worth the $20.