• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some New (and VERY LARGE) Coin Pictures (Caution: DIALUPPERS)

37 posts in this topic

Are those the same 2 coins, or are there several different ones? I think it's fairly clear that some are in focus and others are out of focus or motion-blurred (like the first picture vs. the second picture).

When I photograph coins, I try to make 'em so that they look as close to in-hand as possible, so you should try to be shooting perpendicular to the coin while doing everything you can to remove the glare of shooting through plastic (and I know that shooting at an angle is a good way to do this, but then it's harder to really get a feel for the coin).

These are pics of only two coins. One, I used just natural sunlight (the brighter pictures) and the other I tried to reduce the glare, but reduced the amount of lighting in the process.

The third photo is the worst, I must have shaken the camera when I pressed the button.

Chad, you're definitely getting better. thumbsup2.gif

I like pictures 1 and 4 of the $10 Indian the best, and for the St. picture number 4.

Thanks Zach! That means a lot coming from you.

Here's a decent picture of the toned morgan I picked up at the ANA show in March

RIMG0014.jpg

Chad, for the slabbed coins, try having them completely flat and perpendicular to the camera. Have one light at ~9-10 o'clock, and a second one at ~2-3. You will need to point them straight down, not at the coin, to reduce glare. If it is still a problem, try pointing the lights a bit farther away.

Also, if you don't have a tripod, get one. If your camera has a remote or timer setting, use that too.

I got a tripod last week, finally. The coin is laying on one of my lockboxes, then on a table. It's about as flat as it's going to get. The camera is hovering right above it, perpendicular. My camera has a timer, after the battery charges, I'll try that.

Thanks Zach!

Dang Chad! Your photos keep getting better and better! Soon you will pass me by with ease!

Nah Bruce, I don't think it would ever come to that. Thanks for the compliment though! flowerred.gif

General question here. I just got a new auxillary monitor for my laptop with a lot greater resolution capabities than I had. I noticed an immediate improvement but now I am wondering. I am assuming by the replies above that the images of the Gold Coins are very nice. On my screen they are blurry. Any ideas, and I hope the answer isn't that the monitor does not have enough resolution.

Thanks,

rey

Irvin,

That 1797 has some weird color going on with it. You'd better send it to me. I'll get rid of it for you. 893whatthe.gif

That is one awesome coin Irvin. I would never, ever let that one go. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

I have mine set at 1152x654 and all looks fine here Rey. If I get higher on the resolution, everything else gets smaller and I can't read nothing. 27_laughing.gif

Chad,

I was in no way criticizing the pictures, I have had a heck of a time finding a monitor that shows decent images. I got worried.

Rey (

thumbs up

Chad, if ya count down from the first coin, I think the best looking pic you took was the ninth one of the eagle. That showed some good color and good luster. Nice original look to the coin in that one! The others were nice too, but that's the best in my opinion.

Here are some pics I snapped just a few minutes ago. They turned out great, but I couldn't get the glare off of the slab!

Ignore the glare, they're almost perfect.

696c6cd3.jpg

0661e0c3.jpg

Very Nice!! A definate improvement.

Now the next goal is to get rid of that shadow. You might need to do this by tilting the slab or moving the lights. It really is trial and error. Doing that may get rid of the glare too.

If you have a DSLR, you may also want to stop down the aperture, it looks like parts of the coin is a bit blurry.