• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USA 1971 proof set Suprised how poor when opened !

10 posts in this topic

Hi all just cracked open my new proof 1971 set and only one of them seems worth grading (nickel) all the others have lots of marks on them under X10 with light

Q: is this normal for this year ?

could you please help with the grade so i know what i am looking for to make a good set up

1768838-1971.jpg

1768838-1971a.jpg

1768838-1971a.jpg.6046ff60e2041690abf98036dbca2c12.jpg

Dooley,

Sorry to hear that you are dissapointed. I had a 1971 Proof Set encapsulated awhile back through ANACS only because it was a little cheaper and it was just for personal guideline purposes basically.

1C - PF67 Cameo

5C - PF67 Deep Cameo

10C - PF 68 Cameo

25C - PF 68

50C - PF 68 Cameo

I have a few more 71 sets and they all look fairly consistent with the results on this first one. Here is the Jefferson.

1971SJeffersonPF67DCAMObv.jpg

1971SJeffersonPF67DCAMRev.jpg

Rey

Thanks for that rey.. maybe i am just being a little bit hard on the coins.. are they sctaches below the Y and the star on your coin or on the holder ?

hi.gif

Is there a personal reason for wanting this set graded Dooly? I wouldn't think that the set would even be worth investing that kind of money into.

Dooley,

Sorry to hear that you are dissapointed. I had a 1971 Proof Set encapsulated awhile back through ANACS only because it was a little cheaper and it was just for personal guideline purposes basically.

1C - PF67 Cameo

5C - PF67 Deep Cameo

10C - PF 68 Cameo

25C - PF 68

50C - PF 68 Cameo

I have a few more 71 sets and they all look fairly consistent with the results on this first one. Here is the Jefferson.

Rey

I would dip that Jeffie and resubmit...ANACS is tough as a mother on modern coinage...

The 1971 Proof sets contained really lackluster coins. The last silver coin had come out of the set at the end of 1970, and there was no special effort to get the cameo effect. The mint did not start making an effort to produce cameo Proof coins on a regular basis until the late 1970s.

You will look long and hard to get set of high quality 1971 Proof coins. And you will never find them in one original set from the mint.

Yep its my Birth year, and it sounds like its going to be hard to make a good set up "i like a challange" 893applaud-thumb.gif i have about 10 sets coming over the pond at the moment so lets see how it turns out.. thumbsup2.gif

The 1971 Proof sets contained really lackluster coins. The last silver coin had come out of the set at the end of 1970, and there was no special effort to get the cameo effect. The mint did not start making an effort to produce cameo Proof coins on a regular basis until the late 1970s.

You will look long and hard to get set of high quality 1971 Proof coins. And you will never find them in one original set from the mint.

Thanks for the information sound to me like a challange to get the perfect set/sets

I have gort about 10 more sets on the way at the moment "There nice and cheep - shame about the postage!"

I gess a "good" set could be worth something in 100years it good coins are hard to fined 893applaud-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif