• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet around here... Grade some GOLD!

38 posts in this topic

Looks like there is damage on the obverse field or at least a really big ding, I would grade it XF-40, net VF.

That's surprising, I suppose it must not look as bad in hand, then I'll go with my first instinct, XF-40.

Looks like has some nice detail & luster, just alot of chatter. I'm not good at grading this type of stuff Chad, but I'll shoot for maybe AU50.

I don't know enough about gold but I would guess AU-50.

I'm wondering if the small hit on the obverse would effect the grade? I don't get to see a lot of graded gold. Do the grading services hold silver to a bit higher standard?

I like the coin. smile.gif

I'm wondering if the small hit on the obverse would effect the grade?

In this particular case, I think it did.

Guess accordingly! smile.gif

Well guys, here it is. Take it as you will. Jeff was the closest, just barely missing. Maybe it was downgraded because of the hit, without being net graded.

1844ovs3.jpg

1844rnn7.jpg

For 160 years old, it's not a bad coin at all. I'm flattered that you want it flowerred.gif

This one's going to be tucked away for many years down the road.

Picture looks nice. I will go with MS64 just because of chatter on the neck and small luster breaks. Can't tell from photo if small red spots are copper or not?

That 07-D is really nice, I would go MS-64 with a good shot at a 65, but I know that most TPG's grade liberty gold very tough!

Chad, the 1880-D, if they are really die polish lines, maybe MS-62, but man she is an ugly beast!