• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many PEOPLE woud it take to make EBAY take ACTION

22 posts in this topic

This is MARK Felds buddy Revelexcoins ...

I think it is time the COIN community

start to take action AGAINST EBAY for this type of rip off to the general public.

What would it take a FULL CLASS action lawsuit or Just an EMBARGO of EBAY's services by VENDORS and sellers to stop it.

Better Question is do we have the COHONIES to do anything ... or just continue on being the STUPID GENERAL PUBLIC that the Government wrings out every day ...

3179_1.JPG

Wow. I am very inexperienced, but even I can tell that's completely off base, unless MS stands for 'Morgan with Smallpox'.

>or just continue on being the STUPID GENERAL PUBLIC that the Government wrings out every day .

Unfortunately that's self-evident... Too many people choose to be stupid.

Honestly while I think this is very very bad for the coin business all around, I am not sure much can be done about it. "In my opinion....Coin Grades XX"

>Why did the ANA not do anything about ACG?

Might have had something to do with $3000 and an unecessary (to me) library.

i know this is not a ms (i think we all do) but the kicker in my book would be the pl. i dont see anything prooflike about this coin! it makes me sick to even look @ this pic!

What reason would Ebay have to "take action"? If you don't agree with the grade on the slab that is your opinion--and my opinion also--but the owner of the coin has as much right to sell it on Ebay as you have to sell one of yours.

If your complaint on the other hand has to do with the slab company itself then the owner of WGC has just as much right to grade and slab coins as the owners of NGC or PCGS. If you don't want your coins in said slab then don't buy them in said slabs.

I'm honestly not sure why I should do anything about this or even care about this. This is the type of stuff that I'm talking about when I say people need to take responsibility for their own actions. No one who did even the smallest amount of research could be fooled by this slab. Do I care that someone will get burned by buying it? Not in the least. Sorry, but I have no sympathy for stupidity and intentional ignorance.

BTW, eBay is working on a solution for this type stuff, but I cannot say anything about it until it is made public in the somewhat near future.

...so...you take a damaged VF coin worth about $50...put it into a slab that says it's worth upwards of $25K...put it on eBay in a private auction...hope to snare some rich dumb schmuk...

...excerpts from notes on becoming an eBay PowerS[crew]er

Seriously though, I don't think this will sell for much money as most collectors with that amount of cash to spend generally don't shop on eBay. What I have seen though are subtly doctored XF-AU coins worth about $50 that sell raw for several times that amount as they're portrayed as having "original surfaces" or "no wear" [indicating MS]. While the dollar amount differential isn't nearly as dramatic as the 1904-S Morgan depicted here, often it's the difference between a $50-$70 coin and a $200-$300 coin.... and you're right...SOMETHING ...should be done about it. However, grading IS subjective...n'est-ce pas???

I'm honestly not sure why I should do anything about this or even care about this. This is the type of stuff that I'm talking about when I say people need to take responsibility for their own actions.
Could it be people just don't want to see WCG coins in their search results?

I'm honestly not sure why I should do anything about this or even care about this. This is the type of stuff that I'm talking about when I say people need to take responsibility for their own actions.
Could it be people just don't want to see WCG coins in their search results?

Perhaps. That's a very simple thing to accomplish. When doing a search, include: -wcg which will remove all wgc graded coins from the list. I do that for a lot of searches including all the other loser slab factories.

I would say the grader (term used loosely) was blind but they did get the year and MM right!

I'm honestly not sure why I should do anything about this or even care about this. This is the type of stuff that I'm talking about when I say people need to take responsibility for their own actions. No one who did even the smallest amount of research could be fooled by this slab. Do I care that someone will get burned by buying it? Not in the least. Sorry, but I have no sympathy for stupidity and intentional ignorance.

BTW, eBay is working on a solution for this type stuff, but I cannot say anything about it until it is made public in the somewhat near future.

When I read your thread that Bruce brought back I thought it was a little over-the-top. Now, however I think I may be seeing your point.

I would say the grader (term used loosely) was blind but they did get the year and MM right!

When I read your thread that Bruce brought back I thought it was a little over-the-top. Now, however I think I may be seeing your point.

That is the point he is harping on. Put bluntly? YES! Truthfull? YES! The truth hurts at times. Learn as much as possible and you will be just fine!

Way, way to late to even bother any more with complaints about garbage on ebay. And actually at times there really is garbage there and it sells. I've known people that tell me junk they can not sell at a flea market will always sell on ebay and at times for an unreal price. With billions of things there, a few thousand coins like this is common.

It is true, there is a lot of garbage on ebay. Someone being taken by this coin would really have to not know anything about what they are buying. One thing to remember when saying that people who buy this stuff deserve what they get. Not all people buying this stuff are collectors or numismatists. Someone getting taken for something like this could be a Wife, Girlfriend, relative, or friend of a collector and trying to buy a gift. As far as I'm concerned, someone that has no sympathy for a person getting taken by this coin or any other coin, without knowing who that person is, has no regards or respect for anyone else anyway. I've heard these statements, don't if it was the same person or not, but sympathy is an act of kindness and sometimes respect. Without it, as far as I'm concerned, there is no respect. MHO

Looking at the prices realized for these coins it looks like he really isnt fooling anyone. Perhaps the public isnt quite as stupid as you think.

My former post was based mostly around this comment.