• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1830 Capped Bust - The Experts Chime in as I have No Clue :)

30 posts in this topic

Looking to Purchasing ONE of these puppies just to say I have one. All you guys seem to love them and just the thought of them being that old kind is c00l to me. Its ONLY an 1830 but it is a coin that caught my EYE and I do have a GOOD EYE and well you know how it is ... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I really like it ... Grades ??? Condition ??? Thought please and don't be nice be subjective and honest.

1751325-cappedbust.jpg

1751325-cappedbust.jpg.bf185cfe92ef8b49c44b9d32c3ebe054.jpg

That is a very nice coin MS 65 or MS 64. I like it alot.

You think so ..hmmm.. I was thinking 60-61 .. Still waiting for the

experts to chime in ... Where da boyz

grin.gif

grin.gif

Way too much luster and lack of hits for MS 61.. Higher grade if you ask me.

grin.gif

Way too much luster and lack of hits for MS 61.. Higher grade if you ask me.

What should I expect to spend any clue ??

I'm not one of the experts, but I will tell you I think it's a beaut. It's prettier than mine, and mine's an easy AU with partial mint lustre. The focal areas look very nice, and I don't see anything that looks to me like wear. MS-60 at the least, perhaps 63. The overall eye appeal is a real strength; there simply cannot be vast numbers out there this nice.

This is a large 0, looks to me like an O-121 (R3) though it could be an O-120 (they both have reverse R). The coin looks MS from the photos, could be as high as MS-63 in my opinion. Very nice half!

This is a large 0, looks to me like an O-121 (R3) though it could be an O-120 (they both have reverse R). The coin looks MS from the photos, could be as high as MS-63 in my opinion. Very nice half!

O-123 Large O variety, considered to be Rarity-1

So they say smile.gif

The coin is MS but I’m not sure where it would fall beyond that. It looks dipped and slightly retoned. It’s not the type of coin that I look for but there is a strong market for these. It is the quintessential jgrinz DBH

O-123 Large O variety, considered to be Rarity-1

So they say smile.gif

I think you are correct based on the allignment of the D and E. The 3rd line of stripe 2 and the middle line of stripe 3 should extend below the shield, but I could not see that from the photos.

Here is my 1830 small 0, O-118 for comparison. NGC graded this coin MS-61, though I bought it as a nice AU.

1830p50cobv.jpg

1830p50crev.jpg

The coin is MS but I’m not sure where it would fall beyond that. It looks dipped and slightly retoned. It’s not the type of coin that I look for but there is a strong market for these. It is the quintessential jgrinz DBH

Hey Winnie you been quiet lately - thanks for the Optimism - I can get this for a little over AU Money ... It might be a good pickup for my First one.

Hey Winnie you been quiet lately - thanks for the Optimism - I can get this for a little over AU Money ... It might be a good pickup for my First one.

At a little over AU money I would buy this coin just to flip it. If it isn’t already holdered, send it to PCGS – they give friendly grades on dipped DBHs.

I'm obviously not an expert Mike, but this coin should go MS63. I agree with the O-123-but is their a die lump in the upper part of A1(similiar to a B Reverse)? Is the mark on the face a scratch or is it a die feature? Value is really variant at this stage of this coin-all the value books are quite a bit apart. Good luck-if you like it I hope you get it. I would choke over it.

It is holdered already in a PCGS Slab smile.gif - I am told its an old green thing that makes noise hehehe - I think he said it kinda of rattles hahahahahha

flowerred.gif

Mike,

I tend to agree with the others regarding the coin deserving a higher grade than AU 58. It is a nice looking coin.

I hope you have better luck than I. NGC returned an 1838 as AU 58 that I will definitely send in again or to PCGS.

Good Luck, nice piece

Rey

The coin certainly appears to have been dipped and subsequently started to tone. The lack of any apparent skin on the piece makes me think this was more likely a modern dip, rather than an ancient one. In general, the strike on the 1830 issue is excellent and determining the grade would require one to really be able to rotate the coin under light to see if there were luster breaks on the high points. If this coin is slabbed by PCGS, as you write, and you can buy this coin at just over AU money then you should buy it immediately. It would not be a coin for my collection, since it is fairly screaming that it has been manipulated, but you could flip it for a tidy sum.

If PCGS called it AU58, it certainly should be worth $650 or thereabouts. I like the look, and the wear is not apparent in the pictures. Laura Sperber at Legend would give at least $550 for it, even if it were doggy.