• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1804 Silver Bust Dollar for sale from China

14 posts in this topic

In order to maximize your profit a coin such as your 1804 silver dollar should to be sent in to be graded by NGC. You wouldn’t want to short change yourself would you? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

John

It's fake.

I believe they are all accounted for, and if they aren't, you won't find them at a street vendor in China.

Sorry. sorry.gif

Where they are have a History of Faking US Coinage.

Do What John said and have it certified then it will command tremendous power in the market place as the true RARITY it is - On the other hand you will know you are not ripping someone off it is indeed FAKE.

my 2c

I would be interested in it. I will offer $2 million sight unseen. However, I must wait to pay you until my newly found Nigerian brother wires me the $143,289,148.65 that I never knew our real father had hidden away.

I would be interested in it. I will offer $2 million sight unseen. However, I must wait to pay you until my newly found Nigerian brother wires me the $143,289,148.65 that I never knew our real father had hidden away.

BUT I am your father Greg Skywalker

and left you NADA nor your brothers OR sisters

sorry.gif

I will offer $2.2 million but I must wait for the inheritance from my pygmy grandmother-in-law. Send it to me. I'll be good for it. tongue.gif

Hey, I think you guys are being way too hard on Kylouman. His coin could very well be one of the 15. I'm pretty sure that 12 or 13 of the 30 I bought in Shanghai last year are part of the 15. With my 12 or 13 and his 1, there is still 1 or 2 out there somewhere, so if I had the cash I would be going back to the coin market this weekend to get the last 1 or 2, unfortunately I am a little short right now and only have a dozen or so 1913 Liberty NIckels to spare. Maybe next week.

Serioulsy though Kylouman, the advice the Board gave you is right on the money (if you will pardon the pun), send it in for grading, the $30 you will spend on grading is the cheapest lottery ticket you every buy if it turns out to be a real million dollar coin.

I am sorry, I am not a collector and after looking at real 1804's on the internet I can tell it is not a real coin. I had a 5min thrill, I am sorry again for making this mistake. But I have learned much since I bought it and a fake 1978 Trade Dollar I bought at the same time.

Kylouman,

The Trade Dollars have been a problem in Asia for many years. Fakes were produced in very larges numbers, tens of thousands I understand, and they can be found at street markets in almost every city in China. My Daughter bought a 1878 Trade Dollar thinking it was real while visiting Cambodia a few years ago.

I have been collecting coins for many years, and have had pretty good luck in the United States, and I would not be concerned about the authenticity of a coin I buy from an established dealer there, so don't let this one coin discourage you from the hobby.

In China its a different story, I have bought fake Trade Dollars, Mexican Pesos, Morgan Dollars and Peace Dollars. One thing is for sure, they can make some great fakes over here. After all of these years its still very hard for me to tell a fake when I see it, so I rarely buy coins from anywhere in China except well established coin dealers.

So the best advice I could give you is what I give to myself, for example, when you find a nice coin, step back and give it the common sense test "if its a rare date and they don't realize it perhaps they would sell it at melt value, but why would they sell it for $3 if melt is at $10" which was the case for the coin my Daughter bought.

Second, unless you have a lot of experience on a particular coin yourself, get an opinion from a dealer, there can be some bad apples there but almost all the dealers I have meet are fair, willing to share thier experience, and will not intentionally take advantage of you. Don't be afraid to use them as a resource.

Third is this Board. Its full of people much more experienced than me, and as you can see they don't hesitate to jump in and give an opinion. When you have a question about a coin, post a photo and the people with the experience in that area will certainly help you.

Welcome to the Boards and to the Hobby!

Very well said Eagle1. I learned my lesson with a 1876 trade dollar, but it was only a $3 lesson. This forum actually told me how to distinguish it from real to fake. I have much better knowledge on looking at these things now. I can spot a fake at least %90 of the time. But as you mentioned, some fakes are good!!!