• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A “Chameleon” Coin

16 posts in this topic

One of the things that people constantly warn us about photography is that a picture can tell a lot of lies. Sometimes people use Photo Shop and other picture fixing programs to alter the appearance of a coin. Here’s an example of where a different angle can provide a totally different view of a piece.

Yes these are two views of the SAME coin. And yes you can get these views when you see the coin in person. It all depends upon the angle of the light. confused-smiley-013.gif

The coin is an NGC PR-65.

1873QDark.jpg

1874.jpg

Highlights the argument for buying coins in person as opposed to relying on pictures.

As a side note, the second pic would likely bring a hefty premium over the first.

I can get many of my Busties to provide me with wonderful colors like that. Just get the angle right. That is what toning does. Does this not apply to any toned coin?

I think that this would be everone's goal to try to get the best angle for an image. I can see where altering the appearance of coins in a photoshop would be beneficial for someone trying to hide problems with a coin they may be trying to sell, but this coin has no problems and your second pic would have always been my first pic. I know you are just explaining angles and all, but with a nice coin like this, I'm sure Bill, that your second picture is the one you would have posted here if you had the choice of either. You do clearly define how lighting angles can change the coin drastically though. Good post!! thumbsup2.gif

Does this not apply to any toned coin?

Actually, no. Some toning can be bright and remain unchanged regardless of the viewing angle, while some can come and go or change colors as a coin is rotated under a light. And then there is the type that is being discussed here, where from one angle the toning could look dull and lifeless, but explode to life when the coin is tilted just right.

John

I have a chameleon coin too! The only thing different about the following two photos is the angle of the coin when the photo was taken. This is about the most dramatic change I've seen.

1941-jeff-pr67-g-r.jpg

1941-jeff-pr67-r-r.jpg

No, the term 'Headlight' is used to refer to a coin that could be white or toned, but is very bright. It has more to do with the quality of a coins luster as this is what gives a coin its brightness.

John

I think I saw a post on your Jefferson a few months ago, Carl. It had to do with the effect of different light possitions. Weren't there about half a dozen pictures? It was a real eye opener for me.

An incredible group of Chameleons. 893applaud-thumb.gif