• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Delaware Commemorative Half Dollar Do You Prefer?

Delaware Half Dollars  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Delaware Half Dollars

34 posts in this topic

I was born and raised in Delaware, and I’ve been looking for Delaware related coins and medals for a number of years. The variety of material is not that large, and it’s always fun to find a new item for my small collection. If you would like I’ll post pictures of some of the pieces I’ve located through the years.

The A-#1 piece of course is the Delaware commemorative half dollar. Congress authorized this piece in 1836, and it was struck in 1937 for a celebration, the Delaware Tercentenary, that was held in 1938. Some people have criticized the coin because of this odd dating pattern (e.g. “The Delaware was just one more commemorative coin rip-off, which was only made to sell!”), but I disagree. As a small state with limited political influence (like all states Delaware has two senators, but only member in the House), Delaware politicians were fortunate to be able to get the legislation passed that authorized a commemorative half dollar. Therefore why should it matter when the coin was authorized or struck?

At any rate I’ve wanted to find THE Delaware commemorative for my collection, but my search has always resulted in something less than the perfect coin regardless of the assigned grade. Below are pictures of two coins that are now vying to be a part of my collection. One is an NGC graded piece, and the other is in a PCGS holder. Which one do you think is the better one?

PCGS Delaware:

DelawareO.jpgDelawareR.jpg

NGC Delaware

DelO.jpgDelR.jpg

I know I'll catch hell over this but #1 is my pick. Each and every element is crystal clear, even the initials. Both have about the same # of nicks andsuch. Obviously for the toners in this forum #2 will reign but #1 is an eye catcher and gaze holder IMHO. Regardless two beautiful additions to your collection.

The nicks and such on the PCGS coin aren't as bad. The marks on the NGC coin in the reverse field left of the flag are distracting to me.

Chris

Thanks for the information that you provided along with the pictures. As for which is better, it's difficult for me to say, and I don't have a strong preference one way or the other. The PCGS-graded piece looks a little cleaner with slightly nicer surfaces, but the NGC-graded piece looks like it might have better luster and more character. confused-smiley-013.gif

...Obviously for the toners in this forum #2 will reign...

???

I would hardly consider that a toned commem.

To me both coins have about the same appeal... some good points, some bad. BJ, when you look at Delawares, is there one side you prefer to look at? If so, then buy whichever coin has that side better.

To me both coins have about the same appeal... some good points, some bad. BJ, when you look at Delawares, is there one side you prefer to look at? If so, then buy whichever coin has that side better.
I'm with SkyMan on preferring one side.

Here are my thoughts from the photos:

I like the PCGS building-side better due to the fewer distractions. The NGC building-side has a big gash on the roof and some marks on either side of the cloud that I find distracting.

I like the NGC ship-side better because the pebbled main sail on the PCGS coin is distracting to me as well as the dark spot behind the ship. True, the NGC coin has marks on the field between the upper flags but I find these less distracting than the PCGS coin. The NGC coin also appears to have nicer color on the ship-side.

Tough decision. I like the obverse details and preservation of the PCGS graded coin better and the reverse details and preservation of the NGC graded coin better. I can see what Chris mentioned about the tics left of the flag on the reverse, but the overall details of the ship are better, IMO. There's also less chatter in the sails of the NGC graded coin. I believe that's because the NGC graded coin is more fully struck and the PCGS graded coin simply did not strike out all of the pre-strike planchet chatter. Anyhow, the ship is more impressive to me than the church (?) on the obverse, so I went with the NGC graded coin.

Hoot

I tend to agree with most of the others, the first coin at the end of the day is more appealing to me. Both have + and -.

Either way, nice commemorative

Rey

I'd probably take the PCGS coin and clean it.

I find the white spots on the lower portion of the coin distracting as well as the crust spot on the reverse. However, it looks to have cleaner fields and less marks overall.

The NGC coin looks like the higher-grade coin, plus I do not like that corrosive spot on the PCGS coin, right of the ship. That spot should be removed, in my opinion. Except for that, these coins are practically a tossup, but that has much to do with the fact that I'm pretty ignorant of this series.

I don't know much about these, but I like the NGC coin better. They both have what looks like the same amount of luster. The PCGS coin has a couple spots I don't like. The NGC coin also looks to have a stronger strike. confused-smiley-013.gif

OK, I guess it’s time for me to put in my two cents about these two coins.

I prefer the NGC Delaware commemorative, coin #2. It has not been dipped and it has a fresher appearance. The PCGS coin has been dipped, and it's luster does not look original.

As for marks, both coins are above average. The Delaware commemorative has a lot of open space, and the roof of Old Swedes Church and the sails on the Kalmar Nyckel (The largest ship that brought the first Swedes to Delaware.) are very prone to marks. In fact I believe that some of the marks on the sails of some coins were from the planchets. They were not effaced by the dies.

The worst spot on the PCGS coin for me is the “carbon spot” to the right of the flag on the ship. On the NGC coin, it’s the small scratches the right of the flag at the top of the mast. Between the two I find the mark on the NGC coin less offensive. As for the mark by the belfry on roof that someone noticed, that one “in the hand” is barely noticeable. Generally, “in the hand” the roof and the sails on the NGC coin look smoother to the naked eye. Digital pictures tend to blow up marks sometimes to greater proportions than they really are.

Finally, here is the kicker. The PCGS Delaware is in a PCGS MS-65 green label holder. The NGC Delaware is in a current MS-64 holder.

OK most people seemed to like the PCGS coin better, but to me the PCGS coin is an “average” MS-65 while the NGC is with out a doubt a “PQ” MS-64.

It just goes to show that so far as I’m concerned PCGS is NOT the better service in every case. NOT BY A LONG SHOT!

Excellent thread Bill.

I agree with your choice of the NGC coin of the two if you had to pick one. While both coins have distractions, they were more serious on the PCGS coin for me. I favor the ship side from a design perspective so that side being stronger on the NGC coin was a plus for me.

I also just learned that Delaware was settled by Swedes. I did not know this and it's good history to have.

I only have a single Delaware related item, NCM's Eddy Seger tribute quarter with Eddy's original SHQ design. For some reason, I have a fondness for medals with preliminary SHQ designs. Fortunately, there aren't many that have been made with designs submitted to the Mint.

I voted NGC, but in reality, neither of these coins do it for me...

Bill, You said:

"It just goes to show that so far as I’m concerned PCGS is NOT the better service in every case. NOT BY A LONG SHOT"

I must disagree, all this goes to show is that of the two coins, your opinion is more in-line with NGC than PCGS. To extend this example into a broader context is not fair, and (in my humble and less experienced opinion as well as the opinion of the market iteself) not accurate...Mike

I voted NGC, but in reality, neither of these coins do it for me...

Bill, You said:

"It just goes to show that so far as I’m concerned PCGS is NOT the better service in every case. NOT BY A LONG SHOT"

I must disagree, all this goes to show is that of the two coins, your opinion is more in-line with NGC than PCGS. To extend this example into a broader context is not fair, and (in my humble and less experienced opinion as well as the opinion of the market iteself) not accurate...Mike

Sorry, Mike, but you go across the street you will see a bunch of Kool Aid drinkers who would never look ANY coin other those in PCGS holders. And they will tell you that coins in PCGS holders ALWAYS sell for more than those in NGC holders in the same. Most of these people couldn't tell an EF-40 from an MS-64 if the coins were not in holders.

It was those lemmings - Kool Aid drinkers to which I was referring.

Sorry, but neither coin would be for me. The spot mentioned on the PCGS coin is the worst distraction. These two coins should probably sell for about the same money, considering there is a point difference in grade on the holder. If I had to buy one of them, it would likely be the NGC coin.

if you go across the street you will see a bunch of Kool Aid drinkers who would never look ANY coin other those in PCGS holders. And they will tell you that coins in PCGS holders ALWAYS sell for more than those in NGC holders in the same. Most of these people couldn't tell an EF-40 from an MS-64 if the coins were not in holders.

It was those lemmings - Kool Aid drinkers to which I was referring.

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Hi Bill,

First off---it warms my heart to hear someone other than myself calling some of those KoolAid drinkers lemmings===> I owe you a beer for the smile.

I like the NGC example myself. I like the warm tones on the coin and as for the distractions on both---I could live with the chatter on either coin, but that spot on the PCGS example is a tough one to overlook when comparing the two. I would buy the NGC coin, but would pass on the PCGS coin.

To me, each coin has its pluses and minuses, I do not love either, and I find it hard to pick a winner.

It might be interesting to use Photoshop and cut the PCGS-graded coin out of the slab and paste it on the white NGC slab and cut the NGC-graded coin out and paste it over the clear slab. Repeat the thread in a year or so and see what the responses are. Or perhaps do the cut and paste exercise with another example.

The worst spot on the PCGS coin for me is the “carbon spot” to the right of the flag on the ship.

Bill, I may be misinterpreting the images, but the spot on the PCGS coin appears to be more serious than a mere carbon spot. It looks like corroded metal to me, and except for blatantly un-original surface quality, my 2nd biggest distraction when it comes to a coin's quality is the presence of corroded spots. I can't stand them. I'd rather have a rim ding! And the problem is, it's virtually impossible to remove corrosion without stripping at least part of the coin.

Digressing just a bit, carbon spots on the other hand hardly distract me at all, unless they are present in abundant. When I see a coin with carbon spots - especially a small-cent - that immediately increases the odds that the coin has not been messed with. Most people are completely turned off by a carbon spot or two, not realizing that many times, the reason a coin doesn't have carbon spots is because it's been cleaned.

I agree with what I think are the overall sentiments that these two coins are close to a tossup, but given the certified grades, the NGC coin emerges as the clear winner for me. The expected discount off the PCGS coin seals the deal.

Great thread!

Interesting...I viewed the two commemoratives, voted and then read the responses. I ended up sticking with my original vote of the NGC holdered coin as having more eye appeal than the blander PCGS coin. The NCG holdered coin has a better strike to it, showing a bit more raised detail in the devices on both sides.

The slight toning in the peripheral may have something to do with stark contrast in the image...but if I had to pick, it would be the second commemorative.

The Jonestown masses still prevail ATS....relentlessly pounding home the notion that PCGS is the only way to see the light. Lemmings only see the light through others rose colored glasses. Get some Windex!

Good luck in deciding Bill...go with your own emotions, your the one going to admire the final results.

~Woody~

To me, each coin has its pluses and minuses, I do not love either, and I find it hard to pick a winner.

It might be interesting to use Photoshop and cut the PCGS-graded coin out of the slab and paste it on the white NGC slab and cut the NGC-graded coin out and paste it over the clear slab. Repeat the thread in a year or so and see what the responses are. Or perhaps do the cut and paste exercise with another example.

That would be interesting.....But it should be done on both boards to see where the lemmings reside... grin.gif