• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has "SGS" descended to a new all-time low?

19 posts in this topic

Interesting story but how can it be proved that these are contemporary gold plated coins to 1883 and not some modern adaptation? Would you be willing to trust SGS on that? devil.gif

Yea but by SGS's grade of MS60?? It looks like it may be lucky to be a VG8 judging by the pic.

Someone deleted thier post I was commenting on!! confused-smiley-013.gif

I dont see no stinkin' details its almost what I call a wafer smile.gif

I got one somewhere ... Will ICG slab those ???

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's MS60 after the plating. The coin saw no circulation after the plating was done.

I've seen this type of grading on some counterstamped coins. NGC grades the host coin. ANACS grades the counterstamp. Therefore, a VF coin with an MS63 counterstamp would grade MS63 at ANACS, but VF at NGC.

The disclosure is in this line that it is not authentic:

This specimen has the same gold plate as was used 123 years ago.

Interesting note, this web page indicates that there is a certain level of grade, nothing falls below a 60:

A coin grading company specializing in grades 60 to 70, both Proof and MS:

link-a-fied

I have one of these which at some point in time was plated with what I presume is Gold but have not verified. By whom and when we do not know and never will. I sent to ANACS hoping to at least get it acknowledged as being "genuine" with perhaps a notation of Altered Surface ____ Details, given the fact that it is a genuine Five Cent Piece but was not expecting anything else. It came back in the flip as “not genuine” which is true in a sense and I am fine with that. They would not place it in a holder, I did not try NCS/NGC.

The coin is just a novelty and an example of what happened to this type coin historically years ago, regardless of when and how it was done. It is not worth more than the face value of the coin without plating as far as I am concerned in whatever condition it may be in given the details. A genuine coin with specific details but a conversation piece and demonstration example of a “Rackateer" Coin is all, nothing else.

Rey

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

Interesting story but how can it be proved that these are contemporary gold plated coins to 1883 and not some modern adaptation? Would you be willing to trust SGS on that? devil.gif

Genuine "racketeer nickels" are not actually all that rare, though it is true there is no definitive test for determining which are originals, and which are later versions. However, the originals nearly always have a reeded edge, and most did in fact circulate after being illegitmately passed as gold coins, thus resulting in deterioration of the gold plating. I own a couple or so, but only one which I believe to be the real thing.

It's MS60 after the plating. The coin saw no circulation after the plating was done.

I've seen this type of grading on some counterstamped coins. NGC grades the host coin. ANACS grades the counterstamp. Therefore, a VF coin with an MS63 counterstamp would grade MS63 at ANACS, but VF at NGC.

Maybe that is true; however, the listing compares this coin to an actual MS60 V. That is deceptive.

Genuine "racketeer nickels" are not actually all that rare, though it is true there is no definitive test for determining which are originals, and which are later versions. However, the originals nearly always have a reeded edge, and most did in fact circulate after being illegitmately passed as gold coins, thus resulting in deterioration of the gold plating. I own a couple or so, but only one which I believe to be the real thing.

I've seen several examples of these too. Some with wear, others with none. The dealers made no claim to authenticity since they are easily fabricated.

thumbsup2.gif The only racketeer nickels I've known to have been "authentic" were reeded and most of the gilding was worn off. Most racketeer nickels circulated quite a bit. Discovery history of individual pieces and provenance play a role in the authentication of originality (to the period of 1883) as well. Every specimen with a plain edge has always been considered a later-date imitation, particularly in high grade (the nickel, not the gilding). These became popular during several periods of time in the early 20th Century and were widely distributed as novelties by early coin dealers, merchants, and others who did not bother to add the reeding.

Hoot

A while back I picked up some coins from these guys just to see what I thought of them

First of all, I paid no more than mint issue price for them so it wasn't that big a deal.

I examined my MS70's and I would probably do just as well with pocket change.

I don't see how some coin group can't address tis service but I suppose if they could they would have by now.

I bought a complete 1998 set for $30. they weren't 70's, go figure 27_laughing.gif, but they looked like they would grade enough to cover my money.