• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accented Hair Blemishes - CAMEO / DEEP ?

28 posts in this topic

Found this in a 1964 Proof set - Accented Hair Kennedy. It has a Blemish in the fields in the front but has anyone seen this weirdness in one of the BALLS above the eagles head ??? Very Unattractive ... sorry.gif

1732135-accent4edhair.jpg

too bad ...

Someone will buy it I am sure ...

1732135-accent4edhair.jpg.3416f66b12df77c7179f3f8f0ba79152.jpg

I don't want to take away form the post here, but the Cameo brings up a question here. I have a 64 proof set (supposedly), flat pack, minted in philly. Is this a proof set and did these cameos just get in some of these or what??

A 64 Proof set will say on the brown envelope bottom left

1964 P.C

Obviously they are rare to find ..

Thanks Mike, my set does say 1964 P.C., but the kennedy and qtr look uncirculated. Making sure my proof set was a proof set. thanks again!

Coin is now listed on EBAY - Link in the Market forum if interested.

Not perfect but a Nice coin nontheless

Thanks Mike, my set does say 1964 P.C., but the kennedy and qtr look uncirculated. Making sure my proof set was a proof set. thanks again!

I bought a set, and that's the way some look in the cellophane. Even DCAM examples can be hard to spot through the cello.

but has anyone seen this weirdness in one of the BALLS above the eagles head ???

I think that is the Accented ball variety. Looks DCam to me. thumbsup2.gif

but has anyone seen this weirdness in one of the BALLS above the eagles head ???

I think that is the Accented ball variety. Looks DCam to me. thumbsup2.gif

There are 4 markers - The "I" in Liberty - The "wishbone hair line"

the rays on the reverse being "broken up" and the insignia having a straightened "G" more so than a rounded Ciorcular look to it. There are some nice pictures here

Accent Hair Information

I'll be dang. Mine has all the signs of an accented hair. that's cool. thanks Chad! I was actually comparing it to the link you gave me, amy 1965 proof and the 64.

I'll be dang. Mine has all the signs of an accented hair. that's cool. thanks Chad! I was actually comparing it to the link you gave me, amy 1965 proof and the 64.

Accented Hair is ONLY 1964 - I find the Quickie is the "I" in liberty is missing the left side tail to the letter.

Mike, I have a cameo franklin with that exact thing on upper right corner of bell. I stopped it with acetone. I think it is active PVC confused-smiley-013.gif

Yea I read the link that this is only in the 64. Did I get excited over nothing and this is with all the 64's?

They are getting pretty common ... with CAMEO OR DCAM is where the $$$ are

too bad this one has issues ..

Yea I read the link that this is only in the 64. Did I get excited over nothing and this is with all the 64's?

No, you SHOULD be excited! Not all 1964's have accented hair, I can't remember the percentage that do. Mrs. Kennedy did not like the hair details on her husband's coin, so she had them change it. Hence the two types. Doesn't add a huge premium, but it does add a little coolness factor. Congrats on the find!

No, you SHOULD be excited! Not all 1964's have accented hair, I can't remember the percentage that do. Mrs. Kennedy did not like the hair details on her husband's coin, so she had them change it. Hence the two types. Doesn't add a huge premium, but it does add a little coolness factor. Congrats on the find!

That's cool! Thanks Chad. thanks Mike for posting and bringing it up. yay.gif

No, but cellophane may have had a pin hole in it where coin was sitting in envelope for an extended period of time. confused-smiley-013.gif

The only thing wierd I see on mine is that the reeding looks a little green. Nothing on Obv or Rev.

I also thought I would add this here. I found this on Wikedia.

The 1964 proof coins were first minted with an "accented" or heavy hair incised about the ear which Jacqueline Kennedy supposedly disliked. After approximately 120,000 were minted the dies were revised and the hair slightly smoothed out. The "I" in "Liberty" also has a truncated bottom serif on the left side. The first die variety typically sells for about four times the latter type, although can be more expensive in top grade, since they seem to have often been poorly struck.

Estimates are 2 to 5% are A/H,Of that Dcams are VERY hard to find...And the price reflects it.Mike yours has milk spots that will keep the grade down but even low grade Dcam A/H Kennedy's are worth Money..Post the pic across the street and ask Russ or Marty...