• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you have a "Official" TPG Service?

22 posts in this topic

I know there are some people that only buy PCGS graded coins. I know others that will buy coins graded by other grading services but will quickly send them in to be crossed over to PCGS. (I know some are doing this for registry sets.)

I have heard others say that they will not buy....a capped bust half graded by NGC.

I have heard others say they will not buy a high grade modern graded by ICG.

I have heard other say the new ANACS holdered coins are overgraded.

I know others go by the philosophy of...Buy the coin not the holder. (So they say)

What are your thoughts and opinions?

My Official TPG:

And the winner is...

Saf-T-Flip

wink.gif

Mine is airtite sign-funnypost.gifbumpit.gif

Well, the slab is actually the Saf-T-Flip, the TPG is my sharpie marker. wink.gif

I stick to top tier slabs but I buy the coin and I don't waste money trying to cross them since I don't buy into the registry hysteria. I'm just a coin collector.

I just surveyed my collection and here are the results:

NGC.....44%

Others..19%

PCGS...18%

ANACS.17%

ICG........2%

Note: Others are not expensive coins.

Buy the coin not the holder!

Here's an example: When I bought this it was not in one of the major TPGS holders - would you buy this coin in a non-PCGS/NGC holder? Even better question: Would you buy it raw?

205737501.jpg

Here's an example: When I bought this it was not in one of the major TPGS holders - would you buy this coin in a non-PCGS/NGC holder? Even better question: Would you buy it raw?

Sure, but it all depends on the price. Nice coin!

Wow, this is truly a colorful coin. Honestly, I would need to see this coin in hand. Depending on the price I might purchase it in a NCG/PCGS slab but would probably pass it it were raw and I had doubts seeing it in hand.

Anyone who only buys one type of slab is an *spoon*. The term "PCGS weenie" is floated around the bourse frequently to describe PCGS-only *spoon*. Buying only one type of slab eliminates 80% of the coins in slabs

Personally, I'll buy a coin in any slab or raw. My personal collection is probably 90% NGC. This was not a decision on my part. It occurred for two reasons. Most toned commems I encountered were in NGC slabs and after having only a few in other slabs, I ended up trying to cross them for matching only. And for foreign coins, other than Canada & Swiss, I don't encounter too many PCGS foreign coins.

I prefer NGC and have bought some PCGS. The only others I have in a slab?? is a set of 1998 SGS. I got these very cheap hoping I could get a PF68 or 69 from thier infamous PF70 grading.

zrlevin - that 80-S is PL, so when it's rotated in the light, it will "flash" when the light catches the mirror surfaces - and then it lights up the toning from behind or underneath - so the toning looks really bright and neon - Brandon (PoorGuy) took this image and he has captured that Optimal look when the coin flashes in the light and the toning lights up like a neon sign - but the overall look is not as neon as that one image shown here - Brandon tells me that the image is not juiced and that's what the camera "sees" when you get the light just right (Think of a mirror that you catch the sun and flash it in a friends face - same concept)

zrlevin - that 80-S is PL, so when it's rotated in the light, it will "flash" when the light catches the mirror surfaces - and then it lights up the toning from behind or underneath - so the toning looks really bright and neon - Brandon (PoorGuy) took this image and he has captured that Optimal look when the coin flashes in the light and the toning lights up like a neon sign - but the overall look is not as neon as that one image shown here - Brandon tells me that the image is not juiced and that's what the camera "sees" when you get the light just right (Think of a mirror that you catch the sun and flash it in a friends face - same concept)

My apologies, I just assumed that any coin image that burns my retinas is usually juiced. It is a stunning coin; unquestionably NT. hail.gif

My apologies, I just assumed that any coin image that burns my retinas is usually juiced. It is a stunning coin; unquestionably NT. hail.gif

No apologies necessary - I didn't take the picture, but Brandon tells me he didn't juice his images - most people don't realize that PL coins "show" different than non PL coins - When I first purchased that coin I had it sitting on the corner of my keyboard and the light that I use to illuminate my work area would shine directly on the coin - the look I posted was pretty much what I would see when I looked at the coin - it was quite mesmerizing cool.gif

I almost always buy NGC. I collect FBL Franklins, and NGC is the only one that cuts it as far as I am concerned. I have one ANACS (old) slab, and the other services I had I cracked out. I bought a couple of PCGS coins, but I got really good deals and promptly turned around and sold them.

I make no effort to gravitate toward a specific service, but based on past purchases, at least half the certified coins I buy are NGC. In fact, it's probably closer to 75%.

I just buy coins, raw only. I will not buy coins that are in slabs. My coppers are in cotton lined paper 2X2 envelopes.