• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franklin Experts, Please - Large pics, not HUUUUGe, but big

12 posts in this topic

I just came across this '63-D Frankie that I've had with a box of misc rolls of low grade nickels and Lincolns. Is it worth submitting? While you're here, I also noticed some doubling of the letters at the top of the reverse. Is there any premium for this? I made 2 images of the reverse that are a little different because of the lighting. I was attempting to show the bell lines as best as I could.

63Dobv563.jpg

63Drev1565.jpg

63Drev2.jpg

No.

Looks MS63.

Bob

Don't think it would go 64 fbl , the doubling you are speaking of on reverse, 1961 had a ddr in "e pluribus unum" looks like that one is doubled in "United States of America" or

am i seeing things? confused-smiley-013.gif By the way i am no expert makepoint.gif

Not an expert, but know enough to get by.

The nemisis of Franklins is if one side is struck well, the other side will have a weaker strike. Looking at the reverse, it is probably the weaker of the two strikes or is a later die state with some machine doubling of the US of A. The slight doubling of the letters will not bring a large premuim, only uniqueness.

The obverse is a nice strike (note Franklin's nose bridge, strong) and the fields are clean. A few scrapes and dings on Franklin...but I would imagine the blown up image magnifies these marks.

Also the little eagle is a bit weak on his left (our right) and usually with FBL, but not always, the Pass and Stow and some of the other lettering below on the bell will be very evident.

I'm sure the coin looks better in hand rather than blown up X number of times, you have a MS coin...but I do not think a real high grade. This coin would do well presented in a Dansco.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the great comments. A lot of good information. I'll keep it raw. I know a little bit more about proofs. Zilch when it comes to MS.

I thought that the doubling was probably machine doubling, but was taken by surprise when I noticed it for the first time from the photo. There is a lot of luster, but it has more of a satiny appearance. The hits are there, but they are not that big in real life. smile.gif No really.

Does the E and R on the Obverse look to have a bit of doubling as well?

It might be a lighting thing.

Cool coin.

Does the E and R on the Obverse look to have a bit of doubling as well?

It might be a lighting thing.

Cool coin.

No, nothing on the obverse. I must have been the lighting.

With my loupe, I can see doubling on "HALF DOLLA" (weak on the A and nothing on the R), "UNITED STATES of AME" (weak on the E and nothing on RICA) and the "P" in E Pluribus Unum. It is pretty cool, even if it is machine doubling. laugh.gif

I agree with what has been posted here. This one will make a fine album coin.

You touched on a good tip about the strike doubling on this coin. Strike doubling vs hub doubling is one thing that confuses many--even the experienced sometimes.

On a strike doubled coin, the element showing the doubling--say a letter in this case--- is a normal sized letter. When viewed from one side or angle...say looking at the coin from north toward south, or top to bottom, the "doubling" looks very pronounced, but when you view the coin from the other direction....say south to north or bottom to top,,,the "doubling" disappears. This is a sure sign the coin is showing strike doubling. This is also another reason that some only "see" the doubling after they take a pic of the coin because you can't see the strike doubling from every angle (try it on this coin---look at it from 2 different angles).

Now on a true hub doubled coin...the doubling is there looking from EVERY angle.

Hope that helps.

I pretty much figured I had the less desirable one of the two. It's not my kind of luck to actually stumble into something like that. smirk.gif