• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skyman Collection Part 3...

17 posts in this topic

As most of you know I have been photoing coins for Skyman! First off let me say it has been a total joy and he owns some great coins!! This 3rd batch is a mix of alot of coins. As always I will be posting some and so will he in givin time. I hope you enjoy the images, because I enjoy taking them.

sh1903std.jpg

sh1904std.jpg

sh1926td.jpg

That Sy's got some pretty danged nice coins. I really like those. thumbsup2.gif

Great photos, Bruce. Shiny gold can be pretty tricky to image. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thank you very much for taking such LOVELY images Bruce!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif If I tried to image the coins you might be able to tell there is a round object in the center of the image. 893whatthe.gif Thank you folks for the nice comments about the coins.

All 3 coins were graded by PCGS, the '03-S is a MS62, the '04-S is a (rattler) MS63, and the '26 is a (rattler) MS62. While I quite like looking at gold, it is not something I've collected much of. I bought these in the late '80's early '90's. For you gold guys (and gals) out there, do you think either the '04-S or the '26 would upgrade? Thank you for any info you can give me.

I think the 04' may stay 62 with the gouges/nicks in the obverse. The 26 looks like it should go up a grade. I'm not any good at grading gold by far skyman, it's just me looking at it and guessing. beautiful coins tho'.

Bruce- I've been wanting ot ask this question for a while now.

Members send you coins to image right? who was the first to trust you?

I mean you look like a trustworthy guy, fro and all, but we are talking about a couple of thousand dollars in coins.

Is it common to have this level of trust from a forum?

Bruce, keep it up buddy! With your great photographic abilities, this business might help you to buy Australia.

Nice coins, Sky!

Chris

I mean you look like a trustworthy guy, fro and all, but we are talking about a couple of thousand dollars in coins.

This is a very legit question. Trust is not easy to gain. Being around these boards since 2003 people gain trust over time and can see what kinda person you are via the kind of post you make etc. I have been pretty active since joining. People do send me coins to image. The first person to trust me was TomB, who did not send me coins to photo, but rather coins to buy on approval. I ended up with every last one of them ($500.00). Then a 2nd batch of coins came with a much higher purchase value. As my photos got better and such, I took notice of EZ_E(Victor) talking about a coin, which he was not able to capture a good image of. I knew right then are there I had to offer to photo the coin for him. After a few exchanges etc, he sent his whole Dansco Album full of coins. Just before he did thatI had taken some photos for a local man I know from a coin shop here. Those photos came out very nice. Anyhow Victor sent 71 raw coins, all of which I photod. (Stunning set I may add) Then I had my Christmas gift to the forum, which several members took advantage of. I was turned on the Skyman Collection, when he made a post talking about proof cameo/ Dcam Franklins, but had no images for. After a few exchanges he sent out the first box of stunning coins. He would later follow it up with 2 more boxes. The 3rd box is being photod right now. So I guess in answer to your question it is about longevity, activeness, and overall honesty. Not to mention, I have not charged for a single photo to date.

Edited to add, the value of coins I have been able to photo and look at is quite higher than a few thousand. I will leave the real numbers out of the equation, but you get the idea. As for payment, people have been nice enough to throw in a few bucks for my troubles, but this is totally not needed. I even got a coin from Victor which was totally sweet! I do this for my own fun and so the owners will have some nice images of thier coins.

This is a very legit question. Trust is not easy to gain. Being around these boards since 2003 people gain trust over time and can see what kinda person you are via the kind of post you make etc. I have been pretty active since joining. People do send me coins to image. The first person to trust me was TomB, who did not send me coins to photo, but rather coins to buy on approval. I ended up with every last one of them ($500.00). Then a 2nd batch of coins came with a much higher purchase value. As my photos got better and such, I took notice of EZ_E(Victor) talking about a coin, which he was not able to capture a good image of. I knew right then are there I had to offer to photo the coin for him. After a few exchanges etc, he sent his whole Dansco Album full of coins. Just before he did thatI had taken some photos for a local man I know from a coin shop here. Those photos came out very nice. Anyhow Victor sent 71 raw coins, all of which I photod. (Stunning set I may add) Then I had my Christmas gift to the forum, which several members took advantage of. I was turned on the Skyman Collection, when he made a post talking about proof cameo/ Dcam Franklins, but had no images for. After a few exchanges he sent out the first box of stunning coins. He would later follow it up with 2 more boxes. The 3rd box is being photod right now. So I guess in answer to your question it is about longevity, activeness, and overall honesty. Not to mention, I have not charged for a single photo to date.

Edited to add, the value of coins I have been able to photo and look at is quite higher than a few thousand. I will leave the real numbers out of the equation, but you get the idea. As for payment, people have been nice enough to throw in a few bucks for my troubles, but this is totally not needed. I even got a coin from Victor which was totally sweet! I do this for my own fun and so the owners will have some nice images of thier coins.

When I first mentioned that it would be nice to get some images of my Frankies Bruce sent me a pm out of the blue as to being willing to image the coins. I had seen him on this and other boards for some period of time already, but to put it mildly I was not about to send some of my baby's off to a total stranger.

He mentioned that Victor (EZ_E) could be a reference, so I did some pm'ing back and forth with Victor, and learned about how he thought Bruce was honorable and did good image work. So I sent Bruce the first box of coins, which, while it was fairly valuable monetarily, did not have any coins that I'd be totally bummed if I didn't see them again. After all, once you start seriously collecting coins, as long as they are a relatively small portion of your financial assets, it is not so much losing the value of the coins as losing those coins that are pretty much one of a kind, or are only replaceable after many years of waiting, that really s#cks. (Although obviously nobody wants to get ripped off).

Only after I got back the first box did I send Bruce the second box, this time with what was (to me at least) a one of a kind coin, that cameo Walker I posted earlier this week. This box also was financially worth significantly more than the first box. By that time I had learned to trust him, and appreciate his work ethic of taking GREAT images. The third box he is working on now is actually not as valuable financially as the second box, but it has several coins that I consider exceedingly difficult to replace.

Anyhow, I HIGHLY recommend Bruce and his work!

When I first mentioned that it would be nice to get some images of my Frankies Bruce sent me a pm out of the blue as to being willing to image the coins. I had seen him on this and other boards for some period of time already, but to put it mildly I was not about to send some of my baby's off to a total stranger.

He mentioned that Victor (EZ_E) could be a reference, so I did some pm'ing back and forth with Victor, and learned about how he thought Bruce was honorable and did good image work. So I sent Bruce the first box of coins, which, while it was fairly valuable monetarily, did not have any coins that I'd be totally bummed if I didn't see them again. After all, once you start seriously collecting coins, as long as they are a relatively small portion of your financial assets, it is not so much losing the value of the coins as losing those coins that are pretty much one of a kind, or are only replaceable after many years of waiting, that really s#cks. (Although obviously nobody wants to get ripped off).

Only after I got back the first box did I send Bruce the second box, this time with what was (to me at least) a one of a kind coin, that cameo Walker I posted earlier this week. This box also was financially worth significantly more than the first box. By that time I had learned to trust him, and appreciate his work ethic of taking GREAT images. The third box he is working on now is actually not as valuable financially as the second box, but it has several coins that I consider exceedingly difficult to replace.

Anyhow, I HIGHLY recommend Bruce and his work!

This was an interesting exchange. As somewhat of a social scientist I often look at how aspects of trust develop in many different ways.

More practically, as soon as I have some worthwhile coins, it would be an honor to have you (Bruce) image them. Is shipping to AUS expensive?