• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1776 Continental Curency coin

16 posts in this topic

Hi. I came across this coin and was wondering if it is real. It looks like pewter and weighs 12.0 dwt (18.6g). I know there are a lot of fakes out there, but it is not obvious to me if this is one of them. I attached some pictures. Thanks!

cc.jpg

cc (1).jpg

cc (2).jpg

cc (3).jpg

cc (4).jpg

1719920-100_0562-1.jpg.409cfa711de012c5b9312a7b82626a69.jpg

It may have been my post re: nova constellatio pattern fake I luckily have had for 30 years or so. I've attached the pic again just for interest.

Jim NovaConstellatio.jpg

Yes, there are tons of fakes of these out there. How did you come across this one?

Diameter: 37.7-40.7 millimeters (varies)

Weight: 15.03-18.51 grams (varies)

Composition: Pewter (.950+ tin and lead, .050 trace elements)

Edge: Twin leaf ornamentation.

There is a similiar or like coin/fake on Ebay auction #130094522779. They have posted quite a collage of photographs of it.

good luck and welcome to the forum.

Jim

Sorry to inform you, your coin is a repro / fake. Here are a few quick ways to check your coin.

1. Check for the word "Copy" anywhere on the coin including the side of the coin.

2. Check for a Seem on the coin. In your images you can see where the 2 halfs have been put together and thus a seem.

3. Do a very light taping to the coin and see if it sounds like a coin. Alot of the fakes sound totally different.

4. Check images of known proven real ones vs yours. The diginostics on your coin do not match up well with a real one.

Hope this helps.

Bruce, this night taping nonsense has got to stop. This is a family forum and there might be some yn's on here.

Opps.. a bad typo... Light tapping... lol

Bruce, this night taping nonsense has got to stop. This is a family forum and there might be some yn's on here.

Opps.. a bad typo... Light tapping... lol

Must have been a Freudian slip. poke2.gif

I can write one!

WYNTK about coins found in your grandfather's basement:

If you found coins in your grandfather's basement, and any of them have a date prior to 1956 on them, they're fake. DO NOT post threads about them. DO NOT ask questions about them. Assume automatically that they're fake, and send them to me for proper disposal.

Thank you for your time.

27_laughing.gif