• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is buying forever stamps when they go on sale April 12?

26 posts in this topic

Could make shipping costs much cheaper in the long run if you stock up on these babies at $0.41.

How?

If the price of postage goes up in the future, you can still use the stamp that you bought for $0.41. It could add up over the long haul.

I've seen this done also with gas. You buy a certain amount at a set price and even if the gas goes up you are using the 'old' gas price.

Its like buying futures on the exchange except its for an actual product, not a share.

Could make shipping costs much cheaper in the long run if you stock up on these babies at $0.41.
How?
If the price of postage goes up in the future, you can still use the stamp that you bought for $0.41. It could add up over the long haul.

I've seen this done also with gas. You buy a certain amount at a set price and even if the gas goes up you are using the 'old' gas price.

Its like buying futures on the exchange except its for an actual product, not a share.

Umm, the USPS and stamps don't work like that. Usually when there is a change in the First Class rate, there are stamps issued without numerical denominations. However, if you go to use these stamps, you'll find that the USPS has charts on the exact value of each of these non-denominated stamp types. The value of the stamp doesn't change when the First Class rate changes. This stamp will still be worth 41 cents when/if the First Class rate goes over 50 cents.

Or are you saying these non-denominated Forever stamps will be treated differently than many previous iterations of non-denominated stamps?

Umm, the USPS and stamps don't work like that. Usually when there is a change in the First Class rate, there are stamps issued without numerical denominations. However, if you go to use these stamps, you'll find that the USPS has charts on the exact value of each of these non-denominated stamp types. The value of the stamp doesn't change when the First Class rate changes. This stamp will still be worth 41 cents when/if the First Class rate goes over 50 cents.

Or are you saying these non-denominated Forever stamps will be treated differently than many previous iterations of non-denominated stamps?

These stamps are different. They are not 41c stamps, but rather First Class stamps that will be good "forever".

Before anyone stocks up on them, you need to take into account the cost of capital to use these stamps in the future. I bet you could out pace the postal rate changes just by putting your money in a savings account. Investing that money properly would probably FAR out pace the increases in postage.

Similar to what Greg has mentioned, you should think twice about how many of these you purchase, if any. Essentially, the government will be able to use monies generated from the sale of these upfront, which should give them a revenue increase, while the purchaser must balance future gains in usage vs lost opportunity costs.

These stamps are different. They are not 41c stamps, but rather First Class stamps that will be good "forever".
Hmm, very interesting. Sounds like they might be getting desperate. How often do people use stamps these days? With email, online billpay and metered postage, I almost never use stamps, except for birthday/Christmas cards and the like for sentimental reasons. And for these sentimental purposes, I prefer interesting/changing subject matter which doesn't seem to be the case here.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that I almost always get metered postage from US eBay sellers but almost always get stamps from European and Asian eBay sellers. I've been thinking of starting up my stamp collection again with canceled darkside stamps.

Before anyone stocks up on them, you need to take into account the cost of capital to use these stamps in the future. I bet you could out pace the postal rate changes just by putting your money in a savings account. Investing that money properly would probably FAR out pace the increases in postage.
And if you have a half way decent investment manager, forget about it. Many people with decent investment returns don't even worry about savings account interest.

Michael, are they on the USPS website? Investment, schmeshment...........I like the looks of it and wouldn't mind having a few panes even though I don't collect stamps.

Chris

Let's use an example $4100 invested in 10,000 'Forever' stamps.

A CD yielding 4.0% per year with the same amount.

5 years from now, the CD would be worth approximately $4988.00

You can get CDs with higher yeilds and other better investments can be made (such as coins). The point is, if the price of stamps rise to 0.50 each, is it worth hanging on to 10,000 stamps for 5 years to make 12 bucks? I don't even think I've used that many stamps in my entire lifetime.

I'll buy them in the standard size of like 20. I bought 100 stamps once and it took me 18 months and 1 postage increase to go through them, then I bought my current book of 20 and I've used 9, so now I have to buy 11 2-cent stamps ... when I'm through with these, I'll just get forever stamps but I don't plan on making it an "investment" (except I'll add some to my flailing stamp collection).

I don’t use many stamps but I will buy them the same as I always have, as I need them. It won’t be such a hassle when the rates change with having to purchase 1 or 2 cent stamps. I see no other true advantage to the consumer.

They are attractive. thumbsup2.gif

I've already heard that stamps may go up again here real soon. I may get a couple books just to save and use the .39 cent ones till they go up again.

The time to buy the forever stamps is jsut before the next increase. Think about it: Buy stamps at $0.41, stamps go up to $0.45 the next week, sell stamps at $0.45. Make a killing.

The time to buy the forever stamps is jsut before the next increase. Think about it: Buy stamps at $0.41, stamps go up to $0.45 the next week, sell stamps at $0.45. Make a killing.

Yeah, make a killing if you buy 100,000 stamps...

Yeah, it's the newest commodity to be traded. wink.gif

Very pretty stamp...I kind of like the idea and I also like the stamp...will it be forever the Liberty Bell?

Note: not even the stamp would get a FBL designation.

I plan on keeping some and using some for special occasions. I've done the same thing with the Purple Heart stamps.

Chris

Or 200,000 would be nicer......

Paul

Sounds like a good way to get the men in black suits on your door step 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And the little boy said Grand dad whats Mail ? The old man turned and smiles when I was your age a man came by our house every day and delivered letters, bills,packages,The boy said O you mean like U.P.S.The old man smiled and said YUP just like UPS.Them his smile turned into a frown thinking about those dam 100,000 stamps he had bought in 2007

when he was young