• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SLEAZEBAYER ALERT!!

35 posts in this topic

Jeffrey M. Auker

Altoona Magisterial District Judge

Germantown, Tennessee

eBay Name: collegegraphs

Priority shipping: $15

State Sales Tax: 10% for all of the U.S. including the District of Columbia

This seller listed an 1890-CC Morgan, and from the pictures, it was a solid MS64. I won the auction, and the total cost was $1,022.10. When I finally received the coin, there was no question that it was not the same coin listed. The coin I received would not have graded AU58, but more likely would have been body-bagged for improper cleaning. It took more than three weeks and two dozen e-mails back and forth, but I finally got a full refund.

I know that I should have heeded the warning signals, but I really wanted the coin that was shown in the listing. I think I just got lucky getting my refund, but I don't recommend that anyone should attempt to press their luck with this seller. By the way, as far as the sales tax issue was concerned, I was keeping an "ace in the hole" but I didn't need to use it.

Chris

Jeffrey M. Auker

Altoona District Magisterial Judge

Germantown, Tennessee

eBay Name: collegegraphs

Priority shipping: $15

State Sales Tax: 10% for all of the U.S. including the District of Columbia

I believe this is a violation of eBay terms unless he is actually required to collect this (i.e. has a physical place of operation in all 50 states and DC). You can try reporting his listing to eBay and see if they get canceled. smile.gif

Chris, I’m with you on this, however it may be in violation of ebay policy to post or share someone’s personal information. I could be wrong confused-smiley-013.gif

Greg, I thought the same thing, but since I've never filed a formal complaint with eBay, I don't know how to go about it. I doubt seriously that any of these sales tax monies go to the rightful jurisdictions. On top of that, there isn't any state that charges 10%. I believe that California is the highest at 7.25%. In all probability, he is using the money to offset his listing fees.

Honestly, I had to laugh when, in one of his e-mails, he told me (verbatim with misspelling), "And while your contacting the "attorneys" feel free to mention that I am a Altoona Magisterial Disrict Judge. I know the law, because I am the law." He sounds like a "good ole boy" who moonlights as the manager of the local Chew & Brew.

Chris

This guy is so full of POO POO ... You could have strung him out to dry in more ways than one .. Your too nice a guy Chris ...

Isn’t impersonating the law a felony? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't know if he is a judge or not. One thing is certain, he doesn't know ALL of the law, i.e. Florida Statute 212.05, but more importantly, he is not above the law.

Chris

In many states a magistrate is a part-time judicial officer who can set bail, etc for persons who are arrested. Some places allow them to issue warrants. They are not trial judges and usually do not have to have any legal training to hold the position. Many are elected. (In my state, they are appointed and the preference is to appoint retired people because of the low pay and requirement for night and weekend work.) States have ethics codes that apply to magistrates and if you feel a violation might have occurred, you should file a complaint with the State Attorney General’s office.

In many states a magistrate is a part-time judicial officer who can set bail, etc for persons who are arrested. Some places allow them to issue warrants. They are not trial judges and usually do not have to have any legal training to hold the position. Many are elected. (In my state, they are appointed and the preference is to appoint retired people because of the low pay and requirement for night and weekend work.) States have ethics codes that apply to magistrates and if you feel a violation might have occurred, you should file a complaint with the State Attorney General’s office.

I have been told that magistrates in some jurisdictions may also receive compensation from the fines they impose.

Note to self: Do not go into the Germantown, TN area.

Chris

Chris, I’m with you on this, however it may be in violation of ebay policy to post or share someone’s personal information. I could be wrong confused-smiley-013.gif

I believe it no longer remains personal when he provides it without solicitation.

Chris

Chris,

Great luck that you received you money back. I have been working WITH Paypal for nearly a month on a guy who never shipped the coin(a beautiful 1887 Morgan) After lying once he no longer will answer me in any way. Paypal will have to eventually repay me I THINK! I do not know how long we have to wait for the seller to answer but evidently a decade!

I am truly glad you at least got your funds back-you are too nice a person.

Jim

I believe that California is the highest at 7.25%.

Chris

Texas is a total of 8.25%

Is that the base rate or does it include any add-ons like county piggy-back?

Chris

Chris,

Great luck that you received you money back. I have been working WITH Paypal for nearly a month on a guy who never shipped the coin(a beautiful 1887 Morgan) After lying once he no longer will answer me in any way. Paypal will have to eventually repay me I THINK! I do not know how long we have to wait for the seller to answer but evidently a decade!

I am truly glad you at least got your funds back-you are too nice a person.

Jim

I hope that you are as fortunate, too, Jim!

Thanks,

Chris

Too bad was a nice looking coin - NEG THE BASTERD smile.gif

oops thought I was ATS grin.gif

I was also contemplating this, but you know that he would porbably retaliate in kind. That is the unfortunate part about the eBay Feedback system. It doesn't allow you sufficient space to state all of the facts.

Chris

I believe that California is the highest at 7.25%.

Chris

Texas is a total of 8.25%

Is that the base rate or does it include any add-ons like county piggy-back?

Chris

No it's 6.25% then the county.

jones.jpg

CLARK GRISWALD

How much do I owe you?

MECHANIC

All of it, boy.

CLARK

What's your sheriff have to say about

your business practices?

Mechanic laughs, flips open his own

wallet containing sheriff's badge.

Mickey Jones

National Lampoon's Vacation

I was also contemplating this, but you know that he would porbably retaliate in kind. That is the unfortunate part about the eBay Feedback system. It doesn't allow you sufficient space to state all of the facts.

Chris

Come on, Chris. Buck up and take one for the team. How else will other buyers know better unless you neg him???

I guess that's really not here nor there. The sleaze ball is stating that he is charging a 10% tax regardless of where the buyer lives. Does that mean he is submitting said tax to the proper state revenue department? If you charge a tax, you must pay the tax. He just pockets the 'tax' money and that alone can get him into SERIOUS trouble.

makepoint.gif

Well, is this guy from Tennessee, or California. He seems to flip flop from one location to the other according to his feedback.

On some, he lists Germantown, TN and on others Newport Bch, Ca.

That in itself should tell ya to stay away from this sleeze.

MM makepoint.gif

The "trick" to leaving negative feedback on dipsticks like this is timing.

You only have 90 days to leave feedback, so you wait until the last possible minute to do it, and they can't fire back other than respond on their own feedback page. The drawback to this system is that he's free to rip people off for 89 days.

Call it feedback sniping if you will... but I resorted to it a couple of years ago when I knew someone was going to venge-back me... in fact, he even told me he would if I left him a negative.

He used 2 accounts to drive up the price on my item because he was selling a similar item and I guess he wanted to drive the price of his up by putting mine in the stratosphere. (in effect, psuedo-shilling by proxy) he screwed up and didn't realize he put in the high bid with his primary account, not his shill. Then, of course, he stiffed me on payment after not responding for 2 weeks. Complete Spoonhole.

I nailed him with last minute negative feedback, and by the time he realized it, he could do NOTHING. Sent me some really nice emails at which point I reported the entire episode to eBay. He became a "no longer registered user" shortly after that, so I'm pretty sure he just changed names and started over, which is also another nasty loophole in the eBay system that needs to be changed.

I was always pretty sure that there was a link to leave feedback after the 90 day period. At least, it seems that I would stunble upon it on occasion.

Paul

I think there used to be a long time ago, but it was done away with when they added the "respond" feature.

I'm pretty sure if it was still available after 90 days, this guy would have found it... he was as hot as a chinese rocket about me burning him with Neg, even reported me to eBay over it. When I sent them all the nice emails he had sent me about how he had screwed me over and had laughed and bragged openly about it, they nuked his account... but that took almost a week. (God they can be slow...)

He wanted to quote "burn me forever on eBay" but it sorta backfired on him. I'm really suprised he didn't create a new account and trash my other listings or leave me unwarranted Neg on another sale... maybe they blocked his MAC address but I doubt it. He probably just moved on to burn other less aware people.

Some people just need to be restricted from owning computers, it amazes me that someone would act like that over something.

Chris

Come on, Chris. Buck up and take one for the team. How else will other buyers know better unless you neg him???

Victor...........Mike.............Well, I left negative feedback after I made sure that my refund was credited back to my credit card........... "Rec'd grossly inferior coin;charged illegal sales tax;finally got refund"

Let's see what happens now!

Chris

Chris

Victor...........Mike.............Well, I left negative feedback after I made sure that my refund was credited back to my credit card........... "Rec'd grossly inferior coin;charged illegal sales tax;finally got refund"

Let's see what happens now!

Chris

Good for you ... Sometimes its called a BADGE of honour smile.gif in my book

You can also do a followup to feedback left if you want to give MORE information