• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTC COINS

8 posts in this topic

What should I do with my WTC coins savaged from my safe deposit box.

These coins were MS66 - MS45 went to MS30 MS03 . They were in the main zone of destruction and were subjected to 1500 degrees for 7 -10 days. I have incurred a large financial loss.

I am a survivor of the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center and my Cousin died on 9/11( a NYC Fire Dept Captain.). I have sent a few of my coins with documentation to NCS to see if they will pedigree them as recovered from WTC 9/11.

A conservator from NCS said I should just melt them down( they do look that ugly) A coin expect told me that a COLLECTOR WOULD PAY MONEY NOT TO BE IN THE SAME ROOM WITH THEM..

What should I do with my coins???

Should I use ANACS or NCS?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there might not be anything you CAN do about them aside from getting the original cost you put out for the coins from your insurance company (if they were covered). You would need records of when you bought the coins and at what price to do this.

Beyond that, if the coins really are as bad as you say, then there probably isn't anything anyone can do about them.

Not what you (nor anyone else I think) would want to hear, but that's all I can think of.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your cousin.

As for the coins, were they insured? Safe deposit box contents are typically not insured by the institution where they are stored. Therefore, they must be insured by you if you want replacement value in event of loss. I will assume that you did not have insurance on these coins. If that is the case then this is a total loss, in my opinion. Personally, I would only pay you face value for any coin taken from that site, as I have no interest in exploiting the event. Many other numismatists think as I do. Sorry.

I am also sorry to hear about your lost family member, I also had close friends who were lost.

As for your coins, have you looked into any federal programs for WTC losses? I know they were paying for many things in addition to aid to the families, such as assistance to businesses and displaced workers. Perhaps there is some option for property lost in the attacks not covered by insurance. Otherwise, without additional insurance on these coins I am afraid they are a total loss.

Put them on eBay with a mention of what happened to them. Leave out the loss of a family member. Be happy with any money you get, which will likely be small.

You Sir disgust me. You suffered a financial loss? Dollers can be earned again. The loss of 3000+ people and the attendent loss and suffering to their loved ones is the issue here. No amount of money will be able to replace the damage done to the families of this tradegy. Yet you are attempting to exploit this event for your own personal gain. If in fact what you say is true (which I have my doubts about) I would throw those coins into the Atlantic and pray for the deceased and their families.

Paul,

I don't see how anyone can interpret your questions as insensitive and cold. Nine-eleven happened, it was a tragedy, but life goes on. We can not just crumble and not face the everyday challenges of life. You, Paul, are a hero. Nine-eleven was more real to you than to a majority of the world. No one besides yourself knows the scars that you'll carry for the rest of your life, yet, you have the will to carry on.

When there is a death or a tragedy in a family, someone must rise up and make arrangements. I'm sure that it's not pleasant but it must be done. You have suffered personal loss as well as financial loss. Yet, life goes on. Should we take these blows lying down or should we meet life's challenges head on? We can't just crawl in a hole and pretend that nothing has happened. We must continue to meet life's demands. It's tough, life isn't always fair, but this is how character is built. Will we rise to meet life's challenges or will we lash out in anger at the mere mention of a negative event and refuse to deal with it? You, Paul, have taken the hard road, decided to deal with it and are maturing in the process. Don't let anyone ever convince you otherwise!

Numbers 6

24 " ' "The LORD bless you

and keep you;

25 the LORD make his face shine upon you

and be gracious to you;

26 the LORD turn his face toward you

and give you peace." '

I would also like to extend my condulences for your loss.

As for the coins I might look into the possiblity of maybe donating them to a memorial for the tragedy of 9/11. I know this sounds cruel but maybe then you can deduct the contribution off of your taxes. My reasoning for the donation of the coins is that we don't forget the ones we lost on that fateful day and the uglyness of the coins as you stated, is a reminder of the ugliness of terrorism. I too lost (a son of my cousin) that day.

I Pray that God gives you and your family Peace and Strength as he has Me and my family.