• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the demise of American Civilization?????

41 posts in this topic

I keep hearing people whining like little girls "oh I don't want to carry a bunch of coins around"

HEY... don't pick on little girls! I gave my 4 year old niece a Washington Dollar and she called it pretty! It is now in her little purse next to the North Carolina quarters I gave her.

That is why God invented the $5 bill, $10 bill, etc.

Umm... I am not sure that is who works for the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing! 27_laughing.gif

The real problem is that we have 'real' people on all our coins. Once a person is on the coin, you can't remove them without spooning someone off.

Or stepping on someone's agenda. Try to suggest changing the dime so that FDR is removed and get ready to incur the wrath of the March of Dimes and their supporters. I have nothing against the March of Dimes (I am a contributor), but they have not used the dime as a tool for raising money in many years.

I know they're planning all these special cents for 2009, the bicentennial of Lincoln's birth and the centennial of the Lincoln cent. I say in 2010 it's someone else's turn. If people get upset about removing Lincoln, just say "look, he got to be on the penny for 101 years. It's now someone else's turn"

Sounds good to me! I am for changing the coinage every 35 years, as "suggested" by law. I would be for periodic changing of designs, like the 50 state quarters or the presidential dollars for all series of coins. Make the coinage meaningful to the citizens. Not only will it promote collecting, but it will make the coins more interesting.

That would set the precedent to remove Jefferson from the Nickel in 2038, Roosevelt from the dime 2046, etc.

As long as we can honor President Theodore Roosevelt: the nation's youngest president (JFK was the youngest "elected" president, Roosevelt took office when McKinley was assassinated), the first president to win the Nobel Prize for Peace, a true reformer, conservationist, creator of the National Park system, and for the numismatists, the reformer of US coinage that included the introduction of the Lincoln Cent, the Eagle and Double Eagle designs of Augustus Saint-Gaudens, and the Quarter Eagle design of Bella Pratt Lyon. I would not complain seeing TR replace his cousin FDR on the dime!

Scott hi.gif

How often do you carry around 15 one dollar bills in your wallet?
Umm... never? What are you doing to accumulate 15 one dollar bills

Exactly my point. The other person was crying about having to carry 15 coins. So if you never carry 15 bills, why would you ever have 15 coins?

How often do you carry around 15 one dollar bills in your wallet?
Umm... never? What are you doing to accumulate 15 one dollar bills
Exactly my point. The other person was crying about having to carry 15 coins. So if you never carry 15 bills, why would you ever have 15 coins?
Oh, I missed that part of the post/thread. Good point then!

As long as we can honor President Theodore Roosevelt: the nation's youngest president (JFK was the youngest "elected" president, Roosevelt took office when McKinley was assassinated), the first president to win the Nobel Prize for Peace, a true reformer, conservationist, creator of the National Park system, and for the numismatists, the reformer of US coinage that included the introduction of the Lincoln Cent, the Eagle and Double Eagle designs of Augustus Saint-Gaudens, and the Quarter Eagle design of Bella Pratt Lyon. I would not complain seeing TR replace his cousin FDR on the dime!

Scott hi.gif

Yes!

TR was the f'ckin man!

He only did one thing wrong: Keep is word and not run for a third term. God, think of it: The Depression might not have happened. World War II might not have happened, Korea and Vietnam might not have happened, the Holocaust might not have happened.

I don't carry cash around at all. I keep a debit card and use it for anything. If they don't take'em, I don't buy'em. One retraction tho', if I'm going somewhere I know only takes cash and I plan to buy, then I will take cash. So I don't carry all them dollar coins and don't carry all those $1 bills. yay.gif

I don't carry cash around at all. I keep a debit card and use it for anything. If they don't take'em, I don't buy'em. One retraction tho', if I'm going somewhere I know only takes cash and I plan to buy, then I will take cash. So I don't carry all them dollar coins and don't carry all those $1 bills. yay.gif

Hence the point that I made above -- folks'd rather use plastic.

If the terrorists were to simultaneously set-off back-pack nukes in front of the Federal Reserve of New York, The Bank of England, and the Central European Bank, the only thing you're debit card would be good for would be to scratch your arse with it... seriously.

The West has become SO dependant on 'virtual' money that it would be very easy for those arseholes to bring it all to a sudden stop.

Think about it: What if five minutes from now, the entire world of 'plastic' money stopped working and wasn't coming back ANY time in the near future...

Would you have enough cash to buy groceries?

What about prescriptions?

Think about it. You can be damned sure the terrorists are.

Would you have enough cash to buy groceries?

What about prescriptions?

I would. I have several hundred AU/MS Sacs and SBAs, not to mention my modern-day currency collection. smile.gif

I imagine George Washington lying in repose underground, on a spit rotating at a few hundred Hertz... I can accept the notion of George Washington as an unattractive man (although Histoical documents seem to indicate otherwise) but I never imagined him up there with Keith Richards and Bob Dylan.

Imagine what the state of our coinage will be by the time they get to Nixon, who will also no doubt be spinning in his grave as well. Could the power of all these spinning corpses possibly be harnessed, perhaps delivered to the Mint in order to reduce the overhead costs, thereby affording them the luxury of some skilled artisans (rather than the CAD programmers it seems they are using now)?

It'd be a lot more entertaining if the coins were to feature caricatures of our presidents, wouldn't it? The Nixon dollar would be an elongated coin, then.

On Patterns.com, there is a proposed design for the dollar coin from 1977, which featured Lady Liberty on the front. It still had some of that cheap modern look (maybe something besides 'times new roman' or 'arial', please?) but is an impressive coin and a return to our country's ideals. But, no. We get Susan B. Anthony, IMHO a very myopic choice. Like Sacagawea. Great history lesson about our oppressed past, but why commemmorate it? Are we somehow trying to pay back the folks we as a country have screwed over by placing a representative of their culture on our circulating coinage?

That is what I thought commemoratives were for...

Are we going to have a 2008 Homeless Nickel series? What about the guy we fried back in the '50's - Chapman? He was found innocent after his death - why not commemorate him, and everyone else who suffers through our country's growing pains. And, I'm left handed, one of the most discriminated against minorities out there - do we get a 'token' for our troubles too?

I will continue to dutifully buy the proof sets and mint sets I have for the past 40 years - but I think I am done opening them and showing them off. They are an embarassment. I'll just put them away for my daughter and her future. When I want to show my friends true artistry, I'll pull out my 1864 proof set.

Lousy portrait, ugly coins made of the cheapest crappiest er, metal out there.

Just my $.02

Remember Buggy Whips ?? Coins are going the same way ? Maybe ?Mint is just trying to justfy their jobs showing a profit selling coins to collectors and now bullion coins for the masses around the world.Turn Off The Lights The Party Over / or real near the end

Could the power of all these spinning corpses possibly be harnessed, perhaps delivered to the Mint in order to reduce the overhead costs, thereby affording them the luxury of some skilled artisans (rather than the CAD programmers it seems they are using now)?

dorkdog, your contention that the Mint could be creating a 'stir' (no pun intended) that would generate power, perhaps to provide energy to thier presses?, drew me to your interesting post. I can see it now. Amazing.

Are we somehow trying to pay back the folks we as a country have screwed over by placing a representative of their culture on our circulating coinage?

Maybe so. They deserve some recognition. None, really since the IHC, and some Gold pieces. It was their land, afterall. Then too, the Buffalo, in my mind, commemorates a people long oppressed, e.g., our native Buffalo extinguised (practically) in order to decimate a population. Yes, I feel they need commemoration. Do we need to confine this to commemoratives? I don't know.

Are we going to have a 2008 Homeless Nickel series?

we did have hobo nickels. Maybe we can give the philadelphia homeless jobs with carving on our new Washington dollar. It's certainly soft enough to carve, and could be a rennaissance in hobo nickels, a modernization of the fact that we still have so many homeless in our country.

but I think I am done opening them and showing them off. They are an embarassment.

glad to see you're in the majority! wink.gif

interesting post hi.gif