• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is a wheel mark?

12 posts in this topic

I just received a coin back from grading the was body bagged for "obverse wheel mark". What am I looking for here?

Thanks

Merc

Someone else may be able to answer this for you, but for me not knowing what that is anyway, would like to see a pic for learning. thanks!

I can post a picture tonight when I get home and can photo the coin. Which is a 1963 Washington Quarter that came out of a orginal bank roll. I sent in 5 coins from this roll and receive three MS66's a MS65 and a body bag.

Not Positive but it sounds like it may the ROLL filler machine(counter) - Its how all the marks get on US Mint Roll Coinage - I wouldnt know what to look for either

Just a guess smile.gif

Not Positive but it sounds like it may the ROLL filler machine - Its how all the marks get on US Mint Roll Coinage - I wouldnt know what to look for either

Just a guess smile.gif

I'm wondering jgrinz, if this isn't a circular (sometimes just half way around) confused-smiley-013.gif scratch that is sometimes seen just inside the rim of a coin.

A wheel mark would be what looks like a circular scrape around the rim of a coin on the obverse or reverse. Typically, they are caused by a counting machine. It can be a heavy mark that is easily seen, or a lighter mark that might be over looked if you don’t know what it is you’re seeing.

John

I don't have an image handy, but John hit the definition on the head. Sometimes these wheel marks are rather light and are little more than luster grazes, but other times they move much more metal on the surface of the coin. If the wheel mark is on the obverse of a Washington quarter, for example, and is within the exposed field then it will be quite noticeable.

1910LibII.jpg

1910LibIII.jpg

Here's a 1910 Liberty nickel that has been spun by a wheel, it may be a bit exagerated but

you can see the damge going through the date, stars and Liberty's crown. An obvious post mint

damage, other damages to coins by machinery may not be as noticable as this but the graders

usually catch them.

These are seen in droves on Canadian nickels. They are referred to there as 'meter scratches' because they were caused by parking meters. Must be something in the mechanism of the meter that did this.

Paul

The wheel mark the grading service is referring to is also known as "counting wheel damage." Most prevelant in the 1930s through 60s, these wheel marks show up as a rectangular block of parallel hailines across the face of a coin. This is caused by contact and friction with a rubber counting wheel at some stage of the rolling process. They can be very light and hard to see, or very severe. Toning can soemtimes mask them completely. Sometimes, if the coin is original, this rectangular scratched area will be darkly toned because of grease from the counting machine.That makes them easy to spot, if so. These marks are considered damage and will always downgrade or bodybag a coin. NGC is particular harsh in regard to these marks. Counting wheel damage is a scourge of mid 20th century coinage and one really must be carefull when buying Washington quarters, Franklin halves, and Jefferson nickels, in particular.

The wheel mark the grading service is referring to is also known as "counting wheel damage." Most prevelant in the 1930s through 60s, these wheel marks show up as a rectangular block of parallel hailines across the face of a coin. This is caused by contact and friction with a rubber counting wheel at some stage of the rolling process.

Hi, it seems we are talking about two different forms of damage;

1- Wheel marks from counters.

2- Roller marks from strip rollers.

Am I mistaken ?

I once dipped a BU 1950 Franklin to death trying to remove a " ROLLER ? " ..mark that was outlined with heavy black edges. The black edging would just not go away so I killed it devil.gif

I see the same rectangular swath on alot of coins. Some are not so bad and some are like the Frankie was. Just waiting for the firing squad to show up . makepoint.gif

Fergie.

The wheel mark the grading service is referring to is also known as "counting wheel damage." Most prevelant in the 1930s through 60s, these wheel marks show up as a rectangular block of parallel hailines across the face of a coin. This is caused by contact and friction with a rubber counting wheel at some stage of the rolling process. They can be very light and hard to see, or very severe. Toning can soemtimes mask them completely. Sometimes, if the coin is original, this rectangular scratched area will be darkly toned because of grease from the counting machine.That makes them easy to spot, if so. These marks are considered damage and will always downgrade or bodybag a coin. NGC is particular harsh in regard to these marks. Counting wheel damage is a scourge of mid 20th century coinage and one really must be carefull when buying Washington quarters, Franklin halves, and Jefferson nickels, in particular.

OK, this comment makes sense with what I am seeing on the coin. I looked at the coin for a long time last night trying to find the marks around the edge or rim that the first posts were talking about. The only thing I could see were a few extremly light hiarlines across the cheek. If I had noticed these before I would not have sent the coin in for grading. However, I would have never considered these anything other than contact marks if it did not come back in a body bag. Well, another lesson learned, at least this was not very expensive.

Thanks

MercP