• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab Storage box?

26 posts in this topic

I keep all my coins in either PCGS storage boxes or the cardboard boxes NGC returns your coins in after grading. Then I put those in big tupperware containers which also have Silica gel packs inside. I want to use the best storage boxes to protect my slabbed coins. The PCGS coin holders seem ok but the lid will not shut if u put NGC slabs inside.I have a mix of both NGC and PCGS slabbed coins. The different slab boxes I have seen are NGC, PCGS, Whitman, Intercept shield. The Whitman is the least expensive and the Intercept shield box is the most expensive. So what should I buy or does it really matter? May be a dumb question but I dont want not asking a dumb question effect my collection. Any thoughts appreciated.

For the best deal in town thumbsup2.gif

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...e=0#Post1513094

I have a dozen Whitman Boxes and will not buy any more of them. There ok except the end slots are too tight. NGC boxes are the best for my money and they will hold all brands of slabs.

The PCGS boxes will not hold NGC slabs.

I use the NGC display box, it holds PCGS,ANACS, and ICG slabs also with no problem.

It did not how ever hold a SEGS slab. (only had 2 so no problem)

Hope this help you. confused-smiley-013.gif

I might be considered to be over-the-top in my slab storage method, but each slab is placed within its own Intercept Shield holder and then ten of these are placed within an Intercept Shield box. Each Intercept Shield box-of-ten unit is then wrapped in a food grade Ziploc baggie and put into a safe deposit box.

No, you are not doing too much. Better to be safe than sorry. I store some of my slabs in Intercet Shiled holders, but I do not have them in the box. My current safety deposit box is not big enough to hold the coins in the boxes. What I have done for now is put my most expensive coins and those that I consider the most susceptible to deterioration in Intercept Shield. Like my 1957 South Africa NGC PR-67 RD Penny. It is not an expensive coin but it has really good eye appeal (cameo obverse) and I would have a hard time replacing it.

I might be considered to be over-the-top in my slab storage method, but each slab is placed within its own Intercept Shield holder and then ten of these are placed within an Intercept Shield box. Each Intercept Shield box-of-ten unit is then wrapped in a food grade Ziploc baggie and put into a safe deposit box.

Do you put silica gel packs inside your box or ziploc bags?

I just use the ICG intercept boxes since they hold 20 slabs of about any type, only the old ANACS slabs are loose fitting.

it does sound over-the-top stooges.gif

but in all seriousness, now, after reading this, I'm getting nervous and thinking about using the intercept shield stuff.

My banks vault is just that, a vault, real cold inside, and I keep my ngc coins in ngc PLASTIC holders and my pcgs coins in pcgs PLASTIC holders. No dessicant. Nothing. The safe deposit box itself is painted metal. I don't mind the rust on it or the sulfur fumes when I walk into the vault.

Geez, I can't stop joking.

I'll go get the dessicant and look for those intercept shield boxes I stuffed somewhere up in my attic.

You might want to check how old they are. I recall reading somewhere (either on the ANA website where I bought them or on a dealer site) that whatever is in them that provides the protection deteriorates over time. I do not know if this is true or if it is, how long they last though.

I use individual Intercept Shield holders (the box of 10 thing) on copper to avoid spotting, and also on silver. I use the Track Box for everything else. Then I put desiccant in the boxes, and on the outside of the boxes. Then into the FireProof safe. The ones I put in the Track box I put in 3X4 ZipLock bags, and then lined up in the box.

OCD? You decide...

You might want to check how old they are. I recall reading somewhere (either on the ANA website where I bought them or on a dealer site) that whatever is in them that provides the protection deteriorates over time. I do not know if this is true or if it is, how long they last though.

I've heard similarly, don'[t recall where. This and another issue came up, and that's when I canned them. Honestly, I don't know what to do.

That's what I do, too. crazy.gif And, unless I miss my guess, you also put desiccant packs in each Ziploc.

I store all my PCGS slabbed coins in Blue PCHS boxes and all my NGC Slabbed coins in Grey/Silver NGC Storage Boxes...

My local coin guy sells me thse used for like 4.00 ea w/ tax if he has them in...

I also have Blue Whitmans for my 2x2s....

These all go in my Gun Safe... Witha ton of Silica packs...

I like to avoid getting moisture in my Gunpowder too...

ok, I thought Tom was excessive...here's my thought.

Intercept shield sells envelopes for storing comic books. I will buy these envelopes and cut them to line the entire inside of my safe deposit box. This, plus the intercept shield box to hold the coins.

Excessive????

I've got to go to the comic section to find out where to get them. Intercept shield shows them on their site, but they are not dealers.