• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Debit Cards at Coin Shows

44 posts in this topic

Since I'm not a big fan of carrying lots of cash, I put a larger percentage (about 85%) of my coin budget for the ANA show on Prepaid Visa cards. They are not the type that money can be withdrawn from ATM's if needbe, so would the dealers take Visa? Anyone had experience with this confused.gif

My experience at much smaller coin shows is that dealers prefer cash or check to credit cards. Many are not equipped to handle credit/debit cards and don't want the hassle either.

I know the show I just went to in Ft.worth I wound up writing checks. Didn't see anyone doing cards Chad.

At the local show here, very few people (if any) take credit/debit cards. But I figured since it's a national show with a much more expensive group of coins, and deeper-pocketed people, they might take cards? confused-smiley-013.gif

It has been my experience that relatively few dealers will take a card at shows. Also, writing checks can be quite difficult if you are unknown to the dealer and cannot provide dealer references who are attending the show. Lastly, those who might accept cards might charge a higher price for the courtesy. Bring cash.

It has been my experience that relatively few dealers will take a card at shows. Also, writing checks can be quite difficult if you are unknown to the dealer and cannot provide dealer references who are attending the show. Lastly, those who might accept cards might charge a higher price for the courtesy. Bring cash.

Can I get a cash advance at the hotel I'm staying at? That seems to be an option...

Can I get a cash advance at the hotel I'm staying at? That seems to be an option...

+

The ATM's will always give a cash advance. 27_laughing.gif

You should be able to get a cash advance at any bank. Hotels will usually only cash advance you or cash checks if you are a preferred travel with the hotel brand, and even that is limited.

Oh, and another thing, you might want to call your CC company to find out what the cash advance fees and limits are for their card.

You really are better off bringing cash or traveler's checks.

Chad, don't take the chance. Have cash in hand even before you set off for the show. Otherwise, chances are, you will be disappointed.

My family has been arguing over this for about an hour now. They say that since it's a national show, in a convention center, and they're higher-end customers there, they must take cards. I'm less certain. I've got a little cash on me, but as I said, the bulk of my budget is in these little gift cards. I'm so confused!

Anyone got a definite answer?

If you go with simply a credit card then the chances are rather high that you will not come home with a coin. In other words, your family has not gone to a national show, but I have been to dozens of them. Bring cash if you want to buy anything.

They've come up with the argue that it's not feasible for dealers with high dollar inventories to carry around thousands in cash. I agree with that. I doubt I can get cash in time... They also say that the hotel should offer cash advances as a courtesy to guests.

What Tom said.

I've been to lots of national shows and I can recall perhaps two or three dealers (out of hundreds) that were equipped to accept credit/debit cards at the shows.

(At regional/local shows, it's entirely cash and checks.)

As for checks, if the dealer doesn't know you and you can't provide an acceptable reference, ask if the dealer will ship the coin to you after the check clears - he should be happy to do that.

I've also known dealers to let you leave with the coin, if you give them your driver's license number, for example. (A dealer commented to me once that he's never been stuck with a bum check from a collector, only from other dealers!)

Do the smart thing and call the hotel ahead of time and ask if they'll give you a cash advance.

edited to add: While it's true that dealers with high-dollar inventories do most of their business by check, most dealers also carry a lot of cash.

Important info to know, thanks folks.

Now, I have a related question -- do the TPGs that do at-show grading accept Plastic, or should I drag along cash / check for them as well?

Munky -- I'm not sure how much they will pay out at a time, but I know Wal-Mart will give cash back off of Debit cards, maybe you can convert the pre-paid debits into folding money there.

They've come up with the argue that it's not feasible for dealers with high dollar inventories to carry around thousands in cash. I agree with that.

Agreed. That's why dealers with high dollar inventories usually know a large percentage of their customers and can take a check from them.

I doubt I can get cash in time...

I doubt you'll get a coin this time...

They also say that the hotel should offer cash advances as a courtesy to guests.

Perhaps. I assume you'll be staying at a top rate hotel and have been a frequent guest of this establishment? If not, good luck. Most likely they'll have an ATM in the lobby and tell you to get cash there.

Your family can argue all they want, but since you appear to be an unknown to the dealers at the show, you're HIGHLY likely going to need cash to buy a coin unless you can have other dealers vouch for you.

Dealers can and do carry around many thousands of dollars in cash, as do a large number of collectors who attend these shows. The bourse floor is chock full of cash in people's pockets. What you have been planning on buying is not generally considered a large purchase and would likely be paid in cash by the vast majority of folks there. Deals that are much larger than yours are generally carried out via memo, handshake or known check.

You should call your hotel beforehand and ask about any cash policies they have, though I have never tried this, but don't be surprised if you have to travel with your money. You won't be the only one, nearly everyone on the floor will have more money in their pockets than you will.

My family has been arguing over this for about an hour now. They say that since it's a national show, in a convention center, and they're higher-end customers there, they must take cards. I'm less certain. I've got a little cash on me, but as I said, the bulk of my budget is in these little gift cards. I'm so confused!

Anyone got a definite answer?

foreheadslap.gif

screwy.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif

Every reply given has been, "Take cash!". Why ask a question if you don't bother to listen to the reply.

We, at Northern Nevada Coin, actually take credit cards at shows, but I think that we are in a minority. So, if you are at a show we attend feel free to use your plastic with us. takeit.gif

pinnacle rarities will take your cards

buy at their table just make sure you ask for kathleen duncan

tell her michael from rochester ny sent you over

Munkyman, All the big shows have ATMs so just take your cards with you and visit the ATM as needed.

Right? Duh, seems simple to me and I'm the simpleton here !

I hope you enjoy the show !

Munkyman, All the big shows have ATMs so just take your cards with you and visit the ATM as needed.

Right? Duh, seems simple to me and I'm the simpleton here !

I hope you enjoy the show !

Some types of the pre-paid debits won't let you use them at ATMs, I think that is the main problem here... Munky is stuck with those types. He might be able to "cash" them at a bank or larger retail outlet, though...

Another problem with CC at shows is that the booths do not have access to phones lines/equipment to make the transaction. Even if some do, you are limiting your choice of which dealer to buy from.

Another solution: Before you go, ask some friends or family if they would exchange your Visa cards for cash. This way you can take green and buy from ANY dealer on the floor.

Are we talking about pre-paid credit cards or Debit Cards that are branded Visa or MC that pull from your checking account? There is a big difference.

If the latter, then you can just pull cash from an ATM. Of course if your using a machine that does not belong to your bank, you'll be paying a fee to both the owner of the ATM and your bank. I do not EVER reccomend using a 'no-name' ATM like the ones you find in 7-Eleven. Bad idea. You're giving God only knows who access to your checking account.

If you need an ATM while in Charlotte this weekend, the closest large set of safe ATMs would be in the Wachovia Atrium about two blocks from the convention center.

If you're using a prepaid credit card like the ones you get rebates on nowadays then you should look closely at the back of the card to see who the issuing bank is. For example, the pre-paid credit card your get your rebate on when you get a new phone from Cingular is issued by Chase.

Once you determine the issuing bank, try to go to a branch of that bank. They will give you the least greif when you try to cash the card out.

Also, with that type of card you might try going to a grocery store and buying a pack of gum and try to get the balance of the card as cash back.

Guys, I'm taking cash. We're talking about the Prepaid cards with no PIN number, that won't let you get cash out of an ATM. Cash it is.

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses!

Just a FYI...

We phoned the Convention center, and they said that 75% of the dealers had the electronic card readers, and most of the other 25% have those plastic and paper card swiping things.