• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IHC expert advice requested

19 posts in this topic

I recently purchased this raw 1908 Proof IHC. I have a 15 day return and was wondering if any experts see any problems with it. I don't see any, but then I'm certainly no expert.

The debri on the "N" in CENT is just a piece of dust that I blew off after the picture was taken.smirk.gif

08IHCPRob542.jpg

08IHCPRre543.jpg

The color looks a bit off, as if the coin might have been dipped. Also, in the case of proof coins, there is no way to hazard a meaningful grade guess. That is because the degree of hair-lining (which is usually not apparent, even in the best images) often determines the grade.

Honestly? I don't like it. Perhaps it is because the image is just soooooooooooo big, but the color is somewhat odd and I would grade it a 58 before I would call it a 65.

For my learning experience, what should I be looking for as far as the color? I took more images with different light possitions. I did nothing more as far as color correcting. The colors are as they came from the camera. Only lighting possitions were changed.

Original obverse

08IHCPRob542.jpg

New obverse images

08IHCPRob545.jpg

08IHCPRob546.jpg

08IHCPRob547.jpg

08IHCPRob548.jpg

Original reverse

08IHCPRre543.jpg

New reverse image

08IHCPRre544.jpg

The images are big so as nothing is hidden. I can definately make them smaller if that is what everyone would like.

Like Mike and Mark said...and I agree...there's something wrong with the color on this coin. The "highlights" in the feathers just doesn't seem natural to me. Also...and I might be missing something here... there looks to be hairlines in the color in between Libertys' profile and "STATES", Does anyone else see this?

Well, I sure can't argue with the numbers. Apparently the color is off. I don't know since I've seen these in every color of the rainbow, raw and slabbed.

Could the hairlines that you see be the result of die polishing? I would think that if someone scrubbed the coin with a brush or something that the hairlines would also be on the devices as well.

I think I will bow to the consensus and send the coin back.

Thank you for all of the comments on this coin. Next time I will post before I purchase. All comments were welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks again. thumbsup2.gif

The hairlines look to be raised in the images so I would say definetly die polishing lines.As far as color, like you said, these things can be every color in the rainbow and then some. Don't know what you gave for it, but it sure would look nice in a prf.64/65 holder.But don't listen to me..I screw up all the time..lol..

I would unhesitatingly return this coin. While it is a proof, it's surfaces have been severely stripped by multiple cleanings, and unfortunately, also by multiple attempts to efface the damage by doctoring the color. In fact, I think it has actually been circulated, and that is why someone's tried to doctor it.

Possible AT, recommend getting it graded and certified.
The original poster indicated that he has a return privilege. He would be far better off exercising it, rather than buying the coin and throwing more money into grading fees and postage.