• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would this Lincoln have graded if......

10 posts in this topic

62BN

Help me out here, please, since Lincolns aren't my normal cup of tea. Notwithstanding the scrape, what causes this one to grade as low as 62?

The discolorization that is seen from the back of Lincoln's head down to his shoulder is on the metal itself. If the coin is angled in the light this appears to be part of the original skin. Russ from ATS mentioned that it could be die polish.

There are a few scratches on the reverse, but not hairlines. I think what you are seeing is a combination of the surface, which is almost matte like, and the way the light plays with it.

As far as the scratch, I don't know how that happened. I've had it for almost 50 years in an album. The coin was already equipt with the little devil when I acquired it. I don't know if it happened at the mint or after being released to the public. Which ever, it doesn't matter, it's there just the same.

Very nice pic! thumbsup2.gif I think the coin would BB due to the obverse fields. Just guessing though.

Very nice pic! thumbsup2.gif I think the coin would BB due to the obverse fields. Just guessing though.

Wouldn't it BB from the scratch on the wheat ears anyway? That was the only reason I never concidered having it slabbed in the first place. Although the carbon spot on the obverse is a good point for BBing. Even so, I still like the coin.

Thanks for the compliment on the pic. laugh.gif

I am seeing it as a MS63BN (ignoring the gouge on the rev). The obverse field around "One Cent" top/botton have a few small, but detracting, hits. It would be a 64 without them just because of the remaining scratches on the rev.

The obverse shows that it could have been a MS65 coin, I think the carbon spot would have held it back from anything higher.

The mark on the reverse may have come from some sort of counting machine. As to the grade, I'd say that it could have been in the MS-63 - 64 brown area depending upon how you feel about the carbon spot.