• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Lincoln '09 VDB

13 posts in this topic

About 3 weeks ago I posted a thread requesting help grading my Lincoln '09 VDB. Here is the link Original Post

I took James EarlyUS's advice and applied some Blue Ribbon on it. Please tell me what you think.

Before images:

09vdbobv516.jpg

09vdbrev514.jpg

After images:

09linco3541.jpg

09lincr2540.jpg

It looks like it got the spotting out from the letters but it also looks like it changed up the original color of the coin. confused-smiley-013.gif

It looks like it got the spotting out from the letters but it also looks like it changed up the original color of the coin. confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually it didn't. Here is the picture I took yesterday:

09lincO538.jpg

I wasn't really happy with the way the lighting was, so I fiddled around with the lights for a while and came up with this one:

09linco3541.jpg

What is Blue Ribbon and what is it used for. Also, where can you get it? CC

Blue Ribbon is a fowl tasting beer made by Pabst. It is useful for drinking away your sorrows when your front porch collapses on top of your bestest hunting dog. You can purchase it all over the country, but it has more availability in the mid-west.

Blue Ribbon is a fowl tasting beer made by Pabst. It is useful for drinking away your sorrows when your front porch collapses on top of your bestest hunting dog. You can purchase it all over the country, but it has more availability in the mid-west.

893naughty-thumb.gif Pabst is the ONLY beer I use for steaming crabs and is the ONLY beer I drink when eating said crabs.... headbang.gif

It can also be used as varnish remover and is reputed to be a potent redneck aphrodisiac.

I personally like it much better. It got rid of that whitish residue, and appears to have stripped away some sort of contaminant on the coin, allowing the surfaces to be viewed without the impediment of contamination.

If you don't carefully swab off all the blue ribbon, it may make the coin appear glossy. However, a simple acetone dip removes the blue ribbon, leaving a pristine coin behind.

THANKS for following up with your experience.

It's Blue Ribbon Professional Coin Conditioner and Preservative. This isn't where I got it, but if you Google, several sites will come up. Link to Blue Ribbon

One description says it, "Removes soil and coatings from coins,leaving a natural finish & color. Adds a lubricant as a protective film ..."

I just took a Q-tip and applied it to the coin and dried it off with a new dry q-tip. As James said, be sure to get all the residue off. I don't know how long you can leave it on, but I just spread it on and dried it off as soon as I was finished putting it on.

I personally like it much better. It got rid of that whitish residue, and appears to have stripped away some sort of contaminant on the coin, allowing the surfaces to be viewed without the impediment of contamination.

If you don't carefully swab off all the blue ribbon, it may make the coin appear glossy. However, a simple acetone dip removes the blue ribbon, leaving a pristine coin behind.

THANKS for following up with your experience.

By the way James, thank you for posting about Blue Label. I feel a whole lot better about the coin now. cool.gif