• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of this cent design?

12 posts in this topic

Any opinions?

Cent Obverse

Cent Reverse

This was a design submitted by Augustus Saint-Gaudens but never made it into production. Saint-Gaudens apparently had originally planned a flying eagle for the obverse but eventually settled for the head of Liberty which is similar to his "Head of Victory" sculpture.

Interesting -- not sure what that would look like on something the size of a cent, and reminds me too much of the gold designs. Also, the date on the reverse looks a little strange.

I like the designs. However, I think that the mint will go with a current design as they did with the quarters and will do with the nickels.

I like it! smile.gif I think that with a little modification it could be made to continue to look good and wear well. Obviously in the relief it is in now it would be worn out very quickly, but a little change to the edges and a little refinement and I think it would be a bautifull coin. Of course for that reason alone they wont use it. 893frustrated.gif

Any opinions? Cent Obverse Cent Reverse This was a design submitted by Augustus Saint-Gaudens but never made it into production. Saint-Gaudens apparently had originally planned a flying eagle for the obverse but eventually settled for the head of Liberty which is similar to his "Head of Victory" sculpture.
Perhaps if he had made the nose a little smaller, we'd have that cent with us today.

Image Hosting by Vendio

Over 100,000 sellers accelerate their sales with Vendio. FREE TRIAL!

Leo 27_laughing.gif

A beautiful design by one of the early twentieth century's greatest artists. Unfortunately, it does not have a chance of being used. If the cent design is changed it will probably be by congressional mandate. The design will be more about political correctness than artistic merit.

Great designs will not return to US coinage until we have a President who is interested in and knowledgeable about art. Our current President shows no signs of either.

Remember, the Virginia delegation was allow to hijack the nickel for themselves. Did any congressman or senator oppose this?

A beautiful design by one of the early twentieth century's greatest artists. Unfortunately, it does not have a chance of being used.

Ain't that the truth! Sad.

Remember, the Virginia delegation was allow to hijack the nickel for themselves. Did any congressman or senator oppose this?

Not a one. This is one of the most tangled stories of recent numismatic news. Have a look at GDJMSP's post on Time for a change in our change. Much can be obtained from the web on the topic with a search on "coin redesign" and "Jefferson nickel", etc.

Hoot

The mouth and chin look very similar to the Peace dollar. I think that the design is ok but not appropriate for a modern cent.

Cool topic, however!

We all believe that the Walking Liberty half dollar and the Winged Liberty dime are awesome in their appeal and superb in their design but what about the designer's quarter design that was rejected? Has anyone ever seen it? Could someone please post it if possible? Thank you, thank you and thank you again.

Any opinions?

U--G--L--Y you ain't got no alibi, you ugly!

Maybe this cheer is a little harsh, but if you pit this sucker up against a lincoln, IHC, and a flying eagle it's a 4th place finisher; with 3rd place nowhere in sight, at least in my opinion. Would make an interesting poll though--- I've always wondered whether peoples' preferences are biased towards the unfamiliar and antique.