• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hey, what would you guys think...

13 posts in this topic

• Administrator

...of adding a new board to the list, something like "Coin Related" or some variation thereof. It's been suggested in the past (by the evil one) in order to make room for tangential coin conversation such as discussions about packing coins for shipment, etc. - things coin related, but not strictly about coins. This would leave the U.S. and World Coin forums to be more about the coins themselves.

Organizationally, it's a good idea. However, it warrants some careful consideration because what we don't want to happen is to just spread out all of the posting across too many boards that each would have just a few posts. This would make it (a) inconvenient, and (b) may actually reduce posting as some people who may now contribute to a variety of conversations may not read all of the boards once they're split up, and thus won't contribute to those discussions. You may have seen this dynamic in real life with actual parties and gathering. If you spread the guests over too many rooms you never quite get that party atmosphere.

The biggest reason to do this, in my opinion, would be if we felt that having a "Coin Related" board might prompt more posting of topics that people are otherwise hesitant to post because they don't quite fit in the Water Cooler, and they're not quite "coin" enough for the U.S. Coin forum...

Thoughts?

Arch

It's a good thought but I would simply open this Forum up to allow for "Coin Related" Threads.

I'm afraid otherwise some good comments/Threads will get lost.

No one should be afraid to post here on direct coin related stuff or related coin topics.

I don't see anyone chasing those collectors off.

I think the coin section should have it's own "water cooler" so that topics like "the CU boards suck" and "I have David Hall and his videos" can be moved there and this forum can be devoted to more hobby related items rather than industry gossip.

I agree that there should be a place for somewhat coin related subjects (D. Hall Videos) or whatever. Lately, there is too much clutter on this Board. These changes might help keep quality up on the U.S. Coins Board.

It's a good thought but I would simply open this Forum up to allow for "Coin Related" Threads.

I'm afraid otherwise some good comments/Threads will get lost.

No one should be afraid to post here on direct coin related stuff or related coin topics.

I don't see anyone chasing those collectors off.

I suggested this (a while back) due to the fear that this board will become a mirror of the PCGS forums and before that RCC. Good forums that got more and more quasi-coin posts and after that became much less enjoyable.

I'd personally prefer threads about how to package coins, how to run eBay auctions (picture hosting sites, days to end auctions, shipping and insurance questions, etc), tip/questions for photographing and scanning coins, submission questions, submission results if all you are going to do is post numbers - pictures and details OK for the other forum, coin related jokes, and maybe even "look at this eBay auction" put in another forum.

It's not that I don't like these posts or wouldn't read them, it's just that after a while these types of posts seem to drown out pure coin talk

And I'd personally prefer the coin forum to remain about actual coins.

While I think that probably 15% of the posts here would be more suited for another forum, I'm worried that this number of posts will continue to rise at an alarming rate. Many of us old timers can remember the explosion of quasi-coin posts across the street and before that RCC.

I understand the concern, but last time I checked the last posts on the first page of this forum hadn't seen a response in almost two days. I don't see a flood of off topic or quasi-off topic posts. Perhaps in the not so distant future that will change, but right now it seems totally unnecessary.

BC

Everytime I read the complaining threads they say the members here don't want eBay stuff & submission results & turnaround times etc posted so I spend more time on other boards that do discuss such matters since a lot of my coin buying is done on eBay and I'm interested in fraud and heads up threads etc.

I've also noticed that members post their NGC submission results on the PCGS board & not here. These submitters should feel just as free to post them here without the topic nazis disapproval.

I don't see any problem right now because even the slowest threads stay on the 1st page all week but if more people start using this forum I think it would be a good idea it because would eliminate having to wade through a lot of different threads to find what you're looking for.

When I mentioned it to Arch, I mentioned that it was a pre-emptive strike. Look at the fires that start when someone wants to change the posting habits of members across the street. Just go to the registry forum and suggest that for sale posts not be made there. smile.gif

And the problem with submission results is that there is no real coin information in them. Give us some insight into the coins, why they graded the way they did, and some pictures.

industry gossip.

Arch, there's the name for the new forum. It seems to me that this aptly describes most of the topics that are complained about on the CU forums, and these topics are where most of the "flame wars" start. The distinction between the US coin forum and an Industry Gossip forum is easy to understand. An Industry Gossip forum may entice those that feel intimidated about posting to NGC's US coin forum for whatever reason, to participate here at NGC. Not to mention that those who host the forums in general want to keep up on said "gossip". I'd like to see this happen on the CU forums as well.

Maybe call it "Industry Gossip and Opinions". I don't know. It certainly would seem to be a clearly delineated difference between this new forum and the US coin forum.

Andy laugh.gif

Edited to add that I think 99% of anything that is Ebay would end up in this forum.

I think a Coin-Related questions/answers and chit-chat (Coins - Anything Goes) forum might be nice, especially when traffic picks up here a bit (which it already has to some degree - at least a greater diversity of posters). I'd like a place where stuff that is not strictly U.S. coins or registry topics can be added, but it could be a mixed blessing.

For example, when i've posted on scanning and picture technologies, I've put it in the Registry forum. I've done this because I figure that those who might be most interested in that technology might also be posting pics in the registries. I dunno. Another example, I like to see pictures of newly acquired coins, either in the registry forum or in the U.S. coin forum. I would hope that those would continue to go there and leave the Coins - Anything Goes forum for ancillary topics like, "wow look at this eBay offering," etc. I just don't want for a new forum to be a place where interesting stuff is lost.

Hoot

I would like to see a sort of mafia kind of setup, you know, where I can make my own little forum with the people I like hearing from, reading up on and with an ongoing correspondense (not looking it up tongue.gif). With all these forums, I can't keep track of everyone. It's quite possible there's already something like this and I have yet to figure it out. Can anyone feel my pain? confused.gif

Leo

I don't know, with its present level of traffic, I can't really see the need for such a forum on this site. Perhaps you might add a small icon that the thread author could post on their thread title to let others know this might be a frequently asked question? Something like a red FAQ icon?