• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iowa State Quarter Unveiled

13 posts in this topic

For State Quarter Collectors:

"Gov. Tom Vilsack unveiled Iowa's quarter design Thursday, a country school scene based on a painting by native artist Grant Wood that trumpets the state's commitment to education. The governor said his choice was clear after a months-long process that sparked a spirited debate among Iowans over how best to condense the state's identity onto the back of a 25-cent piece." Full Article - Quarter Design

For free comprehensive daily numismatic news visit Coin Today online at CoinToday.com

The governor said his choice was clear after a months-long process that sparked a spirited debate among Iowans over how best to condense the state's identity onto the back of a 25-cent piece."

Huh? confused.gif

The states identity? Just put a piece of corn on the reverse of the quarter and that is what people think of Iowa. I can honestly say that of all the things I have thought about Iowa, education was never one of them. Corn was one of them!

Just put a piece of corn on the reverse of the quarter and that is what people think of Iowa.

What corn? I see a log cabin.

If any state was going to use corn you'd think it would be Nebraska....

jom

I think it is a nice design. As far as corn goes, we used to have a lot of corn here in Pennsylvania. That has been replaced by housing developments. I liked the corn better!!....Ken

Too bad the Mint will now take that design - make a written description of it - and hand it to their own designers. The end result will likely look entirely different.

Welcome aboard. Interesting web site.

It's a great concept for a state quarter. One of the best yet. It will be difficult for the mint to make the design look good, but at least it's one that Iowans and all Americans can be proud of. The mint artists can do some great work so it will be interesting to see what the final designs look like.

At least they could show a field of corn in the background or how about an outhouse with a neat little stack of corncobs 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif or better yet......a gal with cornfed boo......, that's what America's all about! acclaim.gif

Leo

Living in Minnesota, Iowa is on our southern border. Hence, it is the butt of many jokes. My favorite being:

Q: Why do football teams in Iowa play on the dirt instead of the grass?

A: To prevent the cheerleaders from grazing on the field.

insane.gif