• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1993 Steel Penny?

25 posts in this topic

I ran across a penny that looked just like any other 1993 lincoln memorial penny except it is chrome or steel. Was there any patterns like this made or is this just some type of chroming or dip process. It looks mint made.

It sounds like you may have an unplated cent. This will make the coin look silvery or seem to appear in the state you mentioned, chrome or steel.

Does it look similar to this one?

1986dzincobv369.jpg

1986dzincrev364.jpg

First, welcome to our little corner of the world.. especially if you found something interesting!!

If the coin was steel, it would be attracted to a magnet. It could be an unplated planchet (previously mentioned) or a fake. I hope it's an unplated planchet... that would be a cool error. Do you know a reputable dealer to show?

Scott hi.gif

I don't have a digital camera to take a photo with, but yes it looks similar to the photos posted by robec1347, except a little more brilliant. Are unplated cent errors worth much?

Most likely it is plated, especially if it is more brilliant than the 86-D that robec1347 posted. This is about as Brilliant as the real non-plated zinc cents get.

The lettering around the "ONE CENT" looked a little bronze colored, so I took a close-up ... I think it was just my crappy lighting and white balancing (still getting used to the camera).

93Lincoln3.jpg

It has couple nics in it that I see from the pics. I would think if someone plated this that the copper would show there at the nics. I don't see any. This looks legit to me.

My old eyes play tricks on me with color sometimes. Even the GW Dollars appear silver to me in certain light, that is why I am posting it here. Let me know if you see any suspect areas and I'll try to get a close-up of it.

Hi ya al_e-gator,

On the '93, are those white spots in your pic bubbles ?

"Bubbles" is a plating defect found on copper plated zinc Lincoln cents right ?

So IF, they are present on your coin it would seem that it was a plated "normal" coin and the plating was later stripped off.

Also, if it was struck without the plating it would still show a regular type of Luster as any a AU or MS coin would look. I can't judge the luster well from the pics, how does it look to you ?

Is it grainy or lustrous ?

Fergie.

It has couple nics in it that I see from the pics. I would think if someone plated this that the copper would show there at the nics.

Unless the nicks were on the coin before it was plated. In that case the inside of the nicks would be plated too and no copper would show.

I see those same white spots in the fields too. I was also wondering if they could be bubbled in the plating that are now catching the light.

the only way to be %100 is to weigh the coin against a regular cent from the same era

That won't tell you anything. The weight tolerance on this coin is +/- .1 grams. The change in weight from the plating would be in the neighborhood of .02 grams

Fergie -

The coin itself looks pretty and shiny, almost chrome like. It reflects light like a silver coin would when I angle it it back and forth in the light.

I don't recall the history on it (I have C.R.S. really bad), but I think I got it at a coin show in '93, and I also vaugely recall not paying for it and something about a Reynolds Aluminum promotion ... but I could be WAY off with that or it could have been a dream.

I have acccess to all types of laboratory scales, but I don't own any personally and could get fired for bringing a 'foreign' object into a clean area.

If the copper jacket was stripped off the zinc core, the surface would be very pourous, almost powdery looking.

By the looks of the images, I'd say the cent was chemically "chromed"

There are processes used, heated baths of chromic acid where anodes are applied

to conduct electricity that can apply as little as .0001 (one-tenthousandth) of an inch layer of chrome, especially on top of an ideal surface such as copper. If the cent were stripped prior to dipping, exposed zinc core would react with the chromic acids...much like a "fizzy"

There are copper coupons (disposable) used to test the process before the real parts are plated, I would think that a cent could very well have been used instead...or like you suggested, a promotional gimmick or just someone at work goofing around.

Good luck on finding out what created this cent.

edit: Are you a chemist? No, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...actually, I was transfered into the plating shop for 120 days (aircraft parts type) and learned alot about these kind of things. grin.gif

One thing I didn't pay attention to at first was the detail. This seems to be a good pic. So what I'm getting at is the steps on the memorial should be of low relief. They look like they are filled in or have a coating on them. This may lead a person to think that this has been plated over. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

One thing I didn't pay attention to at first was the detail. This seems to be a good pic. So what I'm getting at is the steps on the memorial should be of low relief. They look like they are filled in or have a coating on them. This may lead a person to think that this has been plated over. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chrome plating was my first thought when I 're-discovered' this coin rattling around in a box. Back in the day, I would have more than likely put this in a flip or tube if it had potential value.

If it is plated thinly, then weight probably wouldn't tell me much as it could still be within tolerance. Any ideas or someone that I could send it to (without it costing an arm and leg) to find out definitely what this is with a non-destructive type test?

Are you a chemist? No, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...actually, I was transfered into the plating shop for 120 days (aircraft parts type) and learned alot about these kind of things. grin.gif

hail.gif

smile.gif

If the copper jacket was stripped off the zinc core, the surface would be very pourous, almost powdery looking.

Besides the 86 D, I also have one that was determined by an earlier thread ATS to have been stripped of the zinc coating. There is a major difference between the two.

1983zincobv367.jpg

1983zincrev368.jpg

Since I finally got a digital camera, I dug this back out. Here's the photos.

93Lincoln2.jpg

93Lincoln4.jpg

What are the white spots on, the coin or the photo ?

If on the coin is it bubbles or powdery spots ?

Does the big ding on the rim above GOD show bare metal ?

Are those "dots" between the letters of GOD and the other dot to the right, do those dots look like drips of plating, very shiny, or do they more closely match the color and texture of the fields around them ?

edited to add;

I ask about the ding on the rim because I think it's here you could determine more about it. Does any flaking occur in /around the crater ? I mean like paint peeling. And does the metal show any other distinguishing features ? Copper traces ?

I love these old posts from the past, reading my comment after 5 years buried under a stack of files sounds like I knew what I was talking about. :grin:

Welcome to the forum! Pictures please.