• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1983 P Washington Quarter???

30 posts in this topic

I need some help on a 1983 P Washington Quarter. I see MS 67 has 5 graded by PCGS. I checked Heritage Auction Archives and I did not find a single sale of one. I saw a few 66's but no MS 67's. I see that a few registry sets have these coins in them, but no pictures. If anybody has any information as to the REAL value of a MS 67 83 P Washington Quarter and or pictures of one I would surely appreciate it. PCGS Price guide has the coin at $1500.00. From the looks of what I saw alot of the MS66 coins look like they are LDS? Is this true? Also what do you think the chances of another MS 67 is out there? Thanks for any help.

Bruce, as you know, I only collect Washington quarters un-certified, so I can only give you my impressions based on experience, and not on "pop reports" or other archives of certifed coin sales.

The 1983-P was the last coin I acquired for my entire set dated after 1940! In my mind, it is a highly underrated coin in grades of true MS-65 or better. I can't tell you how many certified coins I passed on from all services, as they simply did not meet my standards for MS-65+. I actually did buy a PCGS MS-65 off of eBay with the intent to crack it out - but it was so lousy that I never did, and in fact, I still have it. I would call it MS-63 due to the awful die-state.

You may recall a post I did on here of when I was able to finally track down a pair of "souvenir sets" that a local coin club member had squirrelled away years ago, and was kind enough to sell me both sets. One of the sets had a coin that was slightly better than the PCGS coin, perhaps as nice as MS-64. But the OTHER set had a coin that I would call at least MS-66 and proof-like, and it was with tremendous satisfaction that I was able to cut that coin out of the cellophane, and place it into my Dansco album, finally plugging a hole that had been giving me fits for years.

I would not sell this coin for $1500 - I wouldn't sell it at all!!!! It is such a difficult coin, that I actually rate it tougher than the 1940-D.

I know this doesn't help answer your question about the coin's value, but I just wanted to take the opportunity to illustrate just how tough this coin is. If you've found one of high grade, I congratulate you.

James do you happen to have a photo of your qaurter? I am very interested to see what your coin looks like. The reason I ask is I had the chance to view a friends collection. Well seems he may have hit paydirt. All I can say is it is WOW coin. I have seen many blah Clad coins but this one is really nice. If I could find all the clads this nice I would collect them.

I also know this coin is a monster to find. I have seen many certified pieces that look like *spoon*. I would not own those pieces. Maybe I can ask my friend to let me photo the coin to get opinions on it. This one really stuck out in my mind. He had other coins, but I was so drawn to this one because I know it is very very rare in high grades such as anything above MS64.

I just checked again the Heritage Auction Archives, and the few 66's they have look like trash. I really want to get a nice photo of this coin so I can get opinions. This could be a serious money coin as it is seems to be a true rarity. I guess only a true collector such as yourself James would know this coin is tough as nails to find and you would most likely be willing to pay huge money for that special coin. It is just that hard to find.

Bruce, I just looked at the three that you are talking about on Heritage's archives - all three being PCGS MS-66. The coin in my album is substantially better than any of those three (which sold in the range of $150 each). Even my second-best coin is better than any of those three!

Trends shows $475 for MS-66, which of course is absolutely ridiculous if by that, they mean those PCGS-quality coins. I simply wouldn't give more than about $20 for any of those three. They are all three really MS-65s overgraded by PCGS in 66 holders.

But I think $150 - what the Heritage coins sell for - IS the right price for a "real" MS-66.

On the other hand, for MS-67, again, I think $1500 is TOO LOW! I would NOT sell my coin for that price, period, because I think it's irreplaceable right now. Of course, I haven't seen the PCGS MS-67s, but if the were graded by the same standards used on those 66s, then the 67s probably really are only 66s.

I brought that old thread back to the top, but my images are unfortunately erased. I'll have to take a new image of the coin.

I had one of those after market 1983 uncirculated sets. I think I may have gotten it when I subscribed to coin world in or around 1983. Anyway, it had the P and D coins, and they were actually pretty nice. I sold the set on Ebay last year for around 130 bucks. I wish I would've held onto it now.

JJ

I did read something about only being able to purchase from the mint, but I figured order by mail as usual. It's like the SBA souvenir sets, I think those you could order from the mint instead of direct purchase. Am I right????

By the way Bruce, I'm not taking away from your topic, it just brought up a good question. If you'd like, I can start a new topic with this. foreheadslap.gif

82 & 83 Mints sets

Check out what additional comments by our forum members added to this thread, very interesting.

83-P Quarter in a ultra high grade at that! 27_laughing.gif

Sorry Bruce, I just had to do that! hi.gif

This is why I had started a post a few days back. I have noticed alot of people jumping on the SGS graded coins and paying more than what used be $5-$10 for these so-called PF70's. I really don't think I've ever seen an SGS graded any less than PF70. We either have alot more inexperienced collectors climbing aboard or some gamblers hoping one will be the real thing. I'll admit I paid $30 for a complete 1998s SGS PR70 year set. That's $6 for each. I'll take that gamble but I don't think that $50 & $60 for each coin would be a very wise gamble!!

OPPS, Looks like I did it to you again Bruce!!!! tonofbricks.gif

I own a PCGS-slabbed MS65 for this date, but you have to keep in mind that these do not look like the silver dates from the 1940s, nor do they look like the reconfigured dates of the early 1990s. They are terrible coins, on average, with low rims that are nearly merged with the letters, low relief and overused dies. These coins, at the moment they were produced looked horrible. I will try to scare up a scan of the coin for you since I do not have another image of it.

Tom Thanks for the imput. I really need to get an image of the one I have in question. If you ask me it is a great looking coin, but then again what do I know about quarters??

Hey Bruce, did you happen to read the article in "CoinValues", the insert in Coin World? They had an article on clad Washinton Quarters. Part of the article talked about the 82's and 83's. And while they are common, there is much difficulty getting them in mint state, particularly the 83-P. They have the price on that one at $475 in MS66, up from $65 in MS65. The D version is $118 and $45. The 82-P and D are quite a bit less, but still at a premium compared to other modern quarters. Almost worth cherry picking, no? laugh.gif

Hold onto your hats folks.......

RARE LOT of P and D Souvenir Sets 1983 (8 sets)

Those went for way, way WAY too much sight-unseen, if you ask me! I paid MUCH less for mine, and that was AFTER seeing the coins in hand. What you have to remember is that most of the coins in those souvenir sets are just as bad as any singles you find floating around. I had to look through many sets to find my coins, and it was sheer luck that I ended up finding them practically in the neighborhood! Plus, half the eBay sets are "D" mint sets, and the 1983-D is a lot easier to find nice than the "P" mint coin.

Bob I did not read the article, but we have discussed the 83 P a time or two here. I know these are tough as nails to find nice in MS anything. Lower MS coins exist, but look like trash. Anyhow last night I got to view a very special one. I will try to get photos of it soon.

These can be found in AU for just a few dollars sometimes. Nice well struck examples are probably a steal even at MS-63 prices.

These come with a type "c" or type "d" reverse. The type "c' is the old reverse used on most of the earlier clad quarters. The type "d" has a little lower relief and several little differences. The easiest way to spot it is the distance between the right side of the N in UNUM and the eagles head. It is much greater on the type "d". This variety is quite common in circulation but much less so in unc. It doesn't appear regularly in any of the mint sets made privately or by the mint. Indeed, it appears rarely in only a couple of the privately issued sets. The primary source is rolls and few exist.

It is such a difficult coin, that I actually rate it tougher than the 1940-D.

It is for sure scarce, I have been actively searching for one for about a year and have had zero luck. Still searching.

I do want to note that when I rate it tougher than the 1940-D, what I'm saying is that it's the fifth toughest business strike in the entire set! In other words, I rank the coins this way, toughest first (keep in mind this is for MS-64+ coins):

1932-D

1932-S

1936-D

1937-S

1983-P

1940-D

The coin is that darned tough!!!!!

This is why I think the coin has HUGE potential in a couple of decades. Right now, most collectors just assemble UNC sets of the silver coins, 1932-1964. But in say 30 years, there will be many more folks putting together complete sets of UNC coins from 1932-1998 - and that will put big pressure on the 1983-P.

It is my #1 sleeper coin for the Washington quarter series.

I am going to post my coin shortly in a new thread.