• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Die Gouge?

11 posts in this topic

These are pictures of 2 different nickels from 2 different '99 Silver Proof Sets. Both have what appear to be a little chip or gouge on Jefferson's chin. Is this common on this particular nickel? Both coins are still in the original mint holder.

Pr-1.jpg

Pr.jpg

kirk-douglas03.jpg

The "Kirk Douglas" variety?

Just kidding of course...first time I see something of this nature and then to have two examples 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif 3 point shot---nuttin but net...

kirk-douglas03.jpg

The "Kirk Douglas" variety?

Just kidding of course...first time I see something of this nature and then to have two examples 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

sign-funnypost.gifyay.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I wish I could see the coin in-hand, as the pics are a bit confusing. Is the "gouge" into the surface of the chin or does it stand up above the surface? Alternatively, is that simply a flat shiny spot on the chin? If it's a shiny spot that simply lacks the frost of the rest of the device, it's from damage to the die where the textured device surface was flattened, perhaps by debris during striking, but there are many other possible explanations. If the spot stands above the surface, then it's the result of a gouged die. On the other hand, if the spot is into the surface of the coin, then it's likely post-mint damage, but it could be the result of an object (such as a fleck of metal) that was struck-through.

Hoot

You are right about the image being confusing. When I photographed the first one, I noticed the mark on the chin. I thought the spot was lint or some kind of packaging debri. But when the same thing happened with the second one, I thought I'd better take a closer look.

What I found was that on both nickels, the spot was a chip or gouge on the on the surface of the metal itself. On one I could see it being caused by some after mintage or packaging error, but to have both coins with the gouge in the exact same spot and with the exact same shape makes me think otherwise. That seems to eliminate the possibility of the die itself being gouged. I'll try to get a better shot of the spot. I guess the correct terminology is that it is incused on the chin.

JeffClose2.jpg

It's rather hard to get a good shot since it's so shinny. laugh.gif

Since the spot is depressed into the metal on the coin then it must have been created by a raised piece on the die. That could only be on of two things. Either the die was created from a damaged hub that had a dent in the chin. Or there was a small chip of metal stuck to the Obv die and it is creating a strike through but the object is staying stuck to the die and is created repeated very similar strike throughs.