• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Researchers' dilemna

15 posts in this topic

I've been mulling over the idea of writing a book on a certain series of US coins. First I thought I'd write an article, but the more I looked into it the more I found to write about.

They say that deciding on one's thesis is half the work. After 3+ years of part-time reading and researching I think I'm getting close to narrowing down my thesis. The glitch is that the background behind the coin is far from clear cut. No one has written a book about the series in question, and the articles I've read about it so far tell only part of the story.

So much background information will be needed to make the main argument understandable to most readers that I could write chapter after chapter before I even get to the main topic.

As it stand now, if I stick only to US coins the book will be quite short. If I include related coins from Canada and/or Mexico it could be quite long.

How many of you have started a research project only to see it grow far beyond expectations? How did you decide when to stop?

I sympathize. Sometimes you regret having pulled on the thread - before long it can appear the whole garment is apt to unravel.

Without having the slightest clue about your thesis or the depth of information required to justify it, I nonetheless can venture some advice at the 30,000 foot level (remember - adjust your own oxygen mask before assisting others). If you follow the old public speaking adage:

• Tell 'em what you're gonna tell 'em;
  • Tell 'em; and
  • Tell 'em what you told 'em

you can likely create a compelling and interesting read.

That is, you might consider opening the work with an overview of the conclusion - i.e. where we're headed. Then motivate the book's central portion (the background exposition) by hooking the reader into needing to know why your conclusion is true. Along the lines of the old "to see why this is so, we have to go back to where it all began..." technique so often employed in cinema.

Hope this helps, even if it's obvious. Good luck!

Beijim

Before considering writing a book, ask the question of "Will anyone buy this book if I am lucky enough to get it published?"

Consider approaching Numismatic News or The Numismatist (they love obscure and boring articles that no one can understand) to write a series of articles for them. Also, NGC has asked for guest writers for their web site/newsletter. Considering paring down your work to their requirements and see if they would be interested.

What I may end up doing is writing an article for the Numismatist that summarizes the main points of the book. If I only include US coins the work would probably end up a long journal article rather than a book. If I include Canada and Mexico it will be long enough for a book, but I'm not particularly interested in Mexican coins of the period.

One problem with this is that there was a similar article in the Numismatist only a couple years back. I recently discovered it and found the writer looked at many of the same sources I did, but I thought he missed a few things. I'm glad I read his article after I did the research myself or I may have thought there wasn't much else to say.

Shiro:

Numismatist (yeah, they changed the name of the magazine from The Numismatist to plain and simple Numismatist) has changed the focus of its articles. I just had one published there this spring and so I know from first-hand expierence that they want articles that have mass appeal. In other words, the articles tend to be more or less "breezy." I look at the magazine now and think the articles are more similar to what is in Coinage than to what was in the old-style The Numismatist. The articles also are a LOT shorter than the old-style articles. So when you pitch the article and/or submit, be sure to leave off the rigor in favor of readability. But I'll tell, getting an article published there was a real kick!

Mark

What I may end up doing is writing an article for the Numismatist that summarizes the main points of the book.

Rather than summarizing, why not try writing the article on U.S. coins as if you were writing it for a serious journal. This would lay the basis for 3 types of publication: (1) for one of the numismatic pubs to actually step up and publish the article as a serious scholarly effort (and get it pier reviewed); (2) for the article to be pared down a bit for more popular press; and (3) as a basis for your more complete book. You may decide whether or not to go forward with the book after the effort of writing the serious article only on the U.S. coin.

Hoot

Should be interesting... let us know.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just finished the third rewrite of the first article I plan to submit to Numismatist . My reader told me to make it more collector friendly and not so focused on the history of the coins in question (i.e. add collecting tips, etc.). Even my first draft was geared a lot more to readers of People Magazine than I would have liked, but I guess it wouldn't do me much good to write an article that wouldn't get published.

If I really wanted to write a thorough book, I'd have to slog through lots of microfiche articles of defunct newspapers to get public reaction. I really don't have the time to do that now, so I'll start with the article and go from there.

It helped me to write a "Definition of Scope" when I did my Master's Thesis. This should be in detailled, outline form and should encompass all the important ideas that you wish to be contained in the Thesis. Include catagories and subcatagories. It also will help you decide the boundaries of what you wish to write about and define how much research that you have to do.

Once you have fleshed the scope concepts in the Thesis out a little, it will help you focus and contain your efforts within the defined boundaries. I do not know if you have tried this, but it is just a suggestion.

My thesis advisor told me it's not enough to write all the information-- one needs to make a good argument.

Popular works are driven by making the reader wonder what happens next. Scholarly works are supposed to convince the reader of your position and to tell him why it's important.

I'll try to make my argument in an "entertaining" way. grin.gif

Shiroh,

Forgive me for throwing in some more unprofessional advice, but I think you should keep in mind that expository writing and theses work is far different stylistically than telling a story to captivate an audience.

With the former, you don't need to spell out much of the background data; you merely have to reference and cite the material. Also, most academic material is dry and excellent reading for insomniacs. Academic reviewers don't care if you captivate the general public.

Unless, of course, your thesis is about storytelling!

Best of luck!

EVP

Also, most academic material is dry and excellent reading for insomniacs. Academic reviewers don't care if you captivate the general public.

Yes, poor academic writers are dry. I've found that good scholars make their works clear as crystal and interesting to read for those who like their subjects.

Since I'm writing for coin collectors, I won't try to captivate the general public unless I have to in order to get published. I'd rather write something that interests collectors and bores non-collectors than vice versa.

I'll need the luck! smile.gifwink.gif

They say that deciding on one's thesis is half the work.
27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I wish it were that easy! I'm certain that Hoot could give you the same experience that I had. A good thesis is going to be more work than you have ever dreamed of and I write that already knowing that you have put considerable time, effort and thought into this project. I would also expand the work to include Canada and Mexico as you are likely to have readers who will be interested in these areas, too. I wish you all the good luck in the world.

One more time,

Been there, done that. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifmakepoint.gifinsane.gif

(An irony that I just said today that the whole thing nearly killed me???) 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Yes, poor academic writers are dry. I've found that good scholars make their works clear as crystal and interesting to read for those who like their subjects.

Could not agree more...

Hoot

The absolute, best advice when writing an article, essay, thesis, etc is to ...

Revise, revise and to revise again.

You state that you've re-written it three times already which means that you're definitely doing things correctly.

If you have a pier in the selected subject, I'd strongly suggest having him/her read it and offer feedback and then incorporating some of the ideas into the article.

A bad tendency that I had while writing college essays was having a weak conclusion. I'd have a strong thesis and body but I rushed with the conclusion and, as a result, it made the whole work weak.

These are just general pointers. Best of luck to you!

One of my favorite history profs told an interesting story about his master's thesis.

He said he wrote his entire thesis except for the conclusion. As he reviewed the nearly completed work he discovered he proved the exact opposite of what he intended to. By strategically placing negatives and making minor revisions, he made a strong case against what he'd believed before he began his research. shocked.gif

What I'm finding now is that the issue is far more complex than I'd imagined. There is no single origin of the coin in questions. What I need to figure out is how the causes worked together.