• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best Morgan Dollar in a Redfield holder?

14 posts in this topic

I can't recall the specifics, but I believe there is a list of what went into these holders. From what I understand not only "Redfield coins" went into these holders.

The Redfield Hoard scarcest Morgan Dollars were:

1879-CC Most scarce Dollar in Hoard.

1895-S Second scarcest.

1893-P Third scarcest.

Followed by 1891-CC and 1892-CC's.

There are no 1892-S Dollars listed.

This is according to John Highfill's Book (Pg. 95).

There were also a number of 93CC's in the hoard.Most were well struck, and many were were ruined from being run through a counting machine which resulted in large scrapes to either the obverse or reverse of the coin.

From what I understand not only "Redfield coins" went into these holders.
Paramount...which I believe is still in business....had 2 kinds of slabs. The ones that said " A silver dollar from the Redfield Collection" and others made the exact same way that just said the grade and "Paramount Coin Co." without the ref to Redfield.

Greg, et. al.:

I echo the question about what happened to Paramount. When I was colelcting in the 1960s, they were a huge and important firm.

Mark

Sorry, I left out the '93-CC's. The reference said that there were only a few and most were damaged by the coin counting machine. It is hard to believe that they used a counting machine on the hoard. Many, many coins were scuffed by the machine which lowered grades on these to MS60-63.

Paramount International Coin Corporation still exists and is an operating unit of Paramount International Group, a financial services organization that comprises the numismatic unit, an insurance unit, and a travel unit. The company is at least active in the Bahamas, serving as their government's numismatic coin manager.

You can read about it on the travel company's web site here.

Interestingly, the company was as of 1988 incorporated in the Bahamas. I know this because a search yielded an online credit report dating from that period.

This encompasses my knowledge about Paramount International Coin Corporation, which I will now expunge from short term memory makepoint.gif.

Beijim

Beijim:

I knew of the Paramount company that moved to Florida, though I didn't know it was the numismatic coin manager for the Bahamas. But, is this the same company that participated in some of the large "apostrophe" sales of the late 1970s, early 1980s? (I think I have the time period correct.) If so, it's truly a situation of how the mighty have fallen.

Anyway, can someone verify if the Florida-based Paramount is the same as the older Paramount?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Anyway, can someone verify if the Florida-based Paramount is the same as the older Paramount?

Yes. Just call the toll free number on their web site (linked above) and ask them.

Beijim

paigow johnny:

The Paramount you linked is located in Irvine, not Florida. It's probably not the same?

Beijim:

I'd call, but I worry that I'd wind up buying a bunch of coins from the Bahamas... smile.gif

Back in the later 1960s, Paramount was a major dealer--I purchased 6 patterns from them at the time. Decent coins and boy were they cheap relative to today's prices! But, my discussion of Paramount is OT from this thread and I apologize for hijacking it. Redfield dollars are of interest in their own right!

Mark