• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Somethings happening to me...

35 posts in this topic

...I'm getting sick of it all. Those floofy, powder puff...I don't know...I think IrishMike called them coins that look like 'cotton candy'. OK, in some ways I've fallen for it, but it's grating on my nerves. Like, I want a REAL coin. Something that looks like a coin. Does any of this make sense to you???

I'm also getting sick of dealers and collectors falling for that *spoon*.

Does this make me unlikeable?

Is this offensive to you?

Don't tell me if it is, I'm a very sensitive guy.

wink.gif

...I'm getting sick of it all. Those floofy, powder puff...I don't know...I think IrishMike called them coins that look like 'cotton candy'. OK, in some ways I've fallen for it, but it's grating on my nerves. Like, I want a REAL coin. Something that looks like a coin. Does any of this make sense to you???

I'm also getting sick of dealers and collectors falling for that *spoon*.

Does this make me unlikeable?

Is this offensive to you?

Don't tell me if it is, I'm a very sensitive guy.

wink.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

maybe I'm just nuts.

There's no riddle!!! I'm just sick and tired of that chi chi froo froo coin toning stuff.

Like this whole PCGS AU58 hysteria.

Those purple Indians.

Colored coins natural or unatural.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

maybe I'm just nuts.

There's no riddle!!! I'm just sick and tired of that chi chi froo froo coin toning stuff.

Those purple Indians.

Colored coins natural or unatural.

I feel your pain. It's like having the same fools falling for blue indians are the same fools running the government. It can be depressing at times. frown.gif

TRUTH

Hi Mike,

I hear ya! Think of how Stradivari would have felt about Axelrod! Crack out a real coin from its slab and savor the moment! And the coin!

SlumLord WELCOME to the board. I'm so glad you're here!!! This is great!!!

( gossip.gif this is a man who collects REAL coins!)

What do you consider "REAL coins?"

Scott confused-smiley-013.gif

This doesn't cover ALL "real" coins, but coins that I'm not afraid to stick into an album are, to me, very real.

I, too, get tired of coins that are SOOOO darned special that they can never, ever possibly be removed from their encapsulated tombs. I think that may be part of what Mike is getting at.

This doesn't cover ALL "real" coins, but coins that I'm not afraid to stick into an album are, to me, very real.

I, too, get tired of coins that are SOOOO darned special that they can never, ever possibly be removed from their encapsulated tombs. I think that may be part of what Mike is getting at.

YES! and MBA, the coin you posted is a REAL coin, and zrlevin, what you direct us to are REAL coins.

YES! and MBA, the coin you posted is a REAL coin, and zrlevin, what you direct us to are REAL coins.

I guess I am surprised at what some of us do and do not consider "real" coins. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The vast majority of the money I have invested in my collection is for coins that would likely fall under the "real" category as described above, but I don't believe I would ever crack these pieces out of their holders. These would be gunky, largely original, attractive, problem-free, circulated early Federal pieces or wonderfully toned, largely original, superb nineteenth century type. Would I crack these pieces out of their holders? No. Does that make them less "real"? Not in my opinion. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

These pieces represent too large a financial investment for me to jeopardize their surfaces through additional handling or placement in albums. Also, regardless if one wants to ignore this aspect or not, the liquidity of expensive coinage drops once this coinage is removed from its certified holder. This is not to say that these coins have no market for them as raw pieces, but they may take more to move at the same price. Their continued certification, in my opinion, acts as one layer or inexpensive insurance for my family. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

These coins are "special", in my opinion, but must not fit the category of "real" since they are certified and will continue to be certified as long as I am the caretaker for them-

600_aJ1836P10.jpg

600_aJ1836P10R.jpg

aH1796P12a.jpg

aH1796P12Ra.jpg

F1890P65.jpg

F1890P65R.jpg

Scott confused-smiley-013.gifThese coins are "special", in my opinion, but must not fit the category of "real" since they are certified and will continue to be certified as long as I am the caretaker for them-

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Tom, don't get me wrong.

I believe there are REAL coins that ARE holdered.

Most of the coins you posted are REAL,

by the way,

I am sure that you needed my expertise to tell you!

The 1890 dime, however, is NOT REAL.

I will therefore take it off your hands, and will even pay the postage, handling and insurance.

and assist you in overcoming the error of your ways!!!!

devil.gif

These pieces represent too large a financial investment for me to jeopardize their surfaces through additional handling or placement in albums. Also, regardless if one wants to ignore this aspect or not, the liquidity of expensive coinage drops once this coinage is removed from its certified holder. This is not to say that these coins have no market for them as raw pieces, but they may take more to move at the same price. Their continued certification, in my opinion, acts as one layer or inexpensive insurance for my family.

Very true and very well stated. This is why I have shifted my focus from cracking my high grade types for my Dansco 7070 and am getting them all regraded: for protection and grade security.

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like a real coin can be anything.

Is my set of Bicentennial coins in slabs any less real than the 1921-S Walker that is in an album?

Are my collection of MS-69 Silver Eagles any less real than the 1928 Peace Dollar sitting in an album?

Is my 1955 DDO a real coin? Or what about my complete uncirculated and proof set of Lincoln Memorial cents?

What about my sets of graded and ungraded 1982 Lincoln Cents with all seven types?

What about my NGC VF-30 1909-S VDB and my approximately MS-63 1909 VDB in my album?

Help me... please!