• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fingerprints on proof mirror surfaces

14 posts in this topic

What's the best way to clean fingerprints off a proof surface?

I know it'll cost, but how about NCS?

That's a thought. I have some medals that look like they could use some NCS TLC as well.

With a little seriousness here, I have a solid 24K Gold proof coin that looks fine from normal viewing.

But when trying to photograph it, the shiney surfaces on each side of the foreground profile(michael Jordan) show traces of Very tiny scratches or smears in the open areas. .....Depending on the direction of the light.

Is there any special procedure or way to reduce these "imperfections" from a home standpoint of view?

Or ..what do the pros use to "fix" this? I have access to a multitude of materials, tools.

The coin is encapusated in a plastic case which isn't sealed, so I believe it had been opened and touched..maybe to remove dust specks?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

1544381-Jordancoin1.JPG.194c00fd5ffdff5057206c6dcd252087.JPG

Since it's gold, you could try an acetone bath. That wouldn't do anything to pure 24K gold, but it might take off any organic crud like oils from the surface. Make sure you rinse well with the acetone. Next, I like to dry it with a strong spray from a can of air. Wear chemical-proof gloves while you work with the acetone. dunno it it'll fix your problem, but it shouldn't hurt the coin if done properly.

I bought an NGC PR69 nickel that had a fingerprint on it. Don't know if yours has ben graded but I sent this back in and they got the print off. Don't know how old your coin is, some fingerprints that are too old may never come out, but newer coins looks like can be removed.

i have been trying different cleaning procedures. i have found that my ultrasonic cleaner is awsome for fingerprints and oily crud from fingers. here is a proof b4 and after

b4:

1988camquarter.jpg

1988camquarterrev.jpg

after:

88sdcamobv.jpg

88sdcamrev.jpg

my ultrasonic cleaner is a gesswein cleaner and has heated option (which seems to help alot and speeds up prosses.

i used only distilled water and heat for short time and wamo nice and shiny mirror proof!!!!!!!!!!

I know jewelers use these alot for jewelry. I though spun to clean. Does the coin stay stationary during the cleaning process?

yes the coin sits in a basket type deal. most baskets r metal but i found a few plastic ones so it doesnt leave marks on coins. all the machine does is vibrate!